• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Duke is really hurting South Florida's future

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

in recruiting. I know this will soon be moved but some of you don't really follow recruiting and ask questions about who USF is looking at. Here is a rundown of 3 key prospects that Heath and staff have tried to get but not looking good.

Carrick Felix – Felix arrived in Durham last night and briefly met with the team after the Selection Sunday show.  Today, Felix will tour the Duke campus and meet with academic advisors and the admissions staff.  If all goes according to plan Felix will be declared academically eligible for Duke.  Felix is the top target remaining for Duke in 2010 and the Blue Devils are hopeful for a commitment from him in the next few weeks if not sooner.

Michael Haynes – Duke’s interest in Haynes remains high.  A few academic issues continue to prevent the Blue Devils from making an official scholarship offer to Haynes.  However, the Duke coaching staff will continue to keep tabs on Haynes’ academic progress in the coming weeks.  If Haynes can get things worked out academically then there is a strong chance that Duke will offer him a scholarship as the Blue Devils are very interested in adding a player of his skill set.

Cleveland Melvin – Things are unlikely to progress much farther with Melvin.  Duke made their initial contact and evaluation, but the general consensus was largely that Melvin’s skills overlap with Felix.  Overall, the Duke Coaches want to diversify the abilities of their small forwards next year which is why the staff is considering the athletically gifted Felix and the strong and sturdy Haynes.  It is unlikely that Duke will pursue Melvin.  If things do not work out with Felix and Haynes, and if Kyle Singler decided to go pro then the staff may take another look at Melvin down the road but right now he is not a target.

http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/updates-on-carrick-felix-michael-haynes-cleveland-melvin/#comments

UPDATE!!! Felix has committed to Duke today. Felix is a stud imo and with Jones leaving he could have stepped in and been a major player for us.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now normally this wouldn't be a be story with Duke out recruiting USF, but this is the first time Coach K has ever offered a JC prospect and he never goes after these kinds of players until this season. Tough timing for USF that's for sure.

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

We aren't yet to the point where we can compete with Duke for recruits on a level playing field. The silver lining here is that Duke can only sign so many scholarship players.

We aren't yet to the point where we can compete with Duke for recruits on a level playing field. The silver lining here is that Duke can only sign so many scholarship players.

True it's just bad timing that Duke decided to go after guys USF really needs. Normally Duke has never came down from only recruiting McD AA or Parade AA.

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

if a kid could play at duke there is NO WAY he would come to USF.

heath can "target" them all he wants but when coach k calls....coach k gets answered.

heath can "target" them all he wants but when coach k calls....coach k gets answered.

No debating that, but what I have been saying that it's just bad luck that for the 1st time Duke dropped down to recruit kids that teams like USF go after.

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

No debating that, but what I have been saying that it's just bad luck that for the 1st time Duke dropped down to recruit kids that teams like USF go after.

Definitely is bad luck that they would make a move like that at this time.  We recruited so poorly in the early signing period that we need all the help we could get now to try and recover to give our hoops program some future.  Famous' pitiful play tonight gives me little encouragement for next season if DJ makes a move to go pro.  We'll have nothing outside and on the dribble at this rate.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Don't forget we'll have nothing inside also.

Don't forget we'll have nothing inside also.

Anderson is a MAN so we won't see soft play from him. We are recruiting Maurice Walker the big 6-10, 280 kid I listed on this forum. However is does no good to recruit these guys and not get them which is what's been happening around here to long. If we're ever going to grow this program then we have to start recruiting better, no if, and, or but about.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Famous had some nice aggressive play last night.... which i hadn't seen in quite a while.

But he still cannot hold a rebound if it doesn't come perfectly to him.  Butter fingers!

We need to get rip torn out at practice throwing wrenches at our guys... maybe that will help them... wait.. they already dodge rebounds pretty well.  :-/

Archived