• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jeff Cunningham on US National Soccer team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  425
  • Days Won:  0

My dream would be for Jeff to play in a World Cup game this summer and score a goal and lift his shirt to reveal the USF horns in front of all the cameras (preferably in the first game against England). That would be taking USF to a global level. Doesn't hurt to dream.... :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

So is anyone going to the game tomorrow night?

My wife and I will be there!

• Content Count:  684

yea i'll be there with about 12 people

• Content Count:  509

Jeff Cunningham is in my opinion one of the best athletes to ever come out of USF. He has represented USF really well in MLS by winning two scoring titles, but had until recently never received a fair chance to prove his value for the national team . A few months ago he scored the only US goal against Denmark.

USMNT Coach Bradley is currently experimenting since most players that will compete at the World Cup for the MNT are currently in mid season in Europe. The players that will play tonight will be competing for a few open slots mainly as back ups. Therefore it is very important that Cunningham has a good game tonight. He is now 33 so this will be his last chance to make a World Cup team.  In the pecking order at the Forward position right now he is behind Dempsey  (who is currently recovering from an injury), Donovan( although he most likely will be used as a Midfielder), Cooper, Jozy Altidore, Ching, Findley,Casey and maybe Eddie Johnson who has been playing well in the Greek league. So at this time him making the World Cup team is a long shot. A great performance tonight possibly could change that.

In addition to Cunningham, Troy Perkins is also on the team. Perkins played at USF as a goal keeper in 2001 and 2002. While Cunningham is a longshot to make the World Cup team, Perkins at this point is likely to be the third goallie behind Howard and Guzan.

• Content Count:  21,309
  • Days Won:  10

Roy Wegerly was the first USF player to play for the U.S National Team and play in the World Cup.

• Content Count:  425

Mark Chung was another great soccer player to come out of USF. He played 10 years in MLS and still ranks in the top ten in all time assists. He was an MLS All Star for many years.

• Content Count:  140

I think i speak for all USA fans that were at the game when i say that it was rainy, cold, windy, and wet, but how it ended made it all worth it. USA comes from behind to win 2-1.  Jeff Cunningham came into the game at the 68th minute, he had a couple good centers and good chances, but overall didnt look as stellar as i had hoped. Have to wait and see if he makes it on the US roster on March 3rd (fingers crossed)

• 2 weeks later...

Cunningham was not included in the team yesterday when the US played the Netherlands in Amsterdam. The good news is that the forwards who were included, namely Johnson and Findley, failed to impress, leaving the door wide open for Cunnighmam to still be included on the World Cup roster if he can get a hot start when MLS play resumes.

At this point Altidore seems to be the only lock at the forward position and there are about 7 to 8 guys still competing for maybe 2 positions, and Cunningham is definitely one of these guys.

Archived