• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NFL Combine List up and 6 Bulls will be in attendance

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/02/bulls-send-6-to-nfl-combine-most-in-big-east.html

If we have this much more talent then the rest of the big east it makes me wonder how good of a coach leavitt really was.  We couldn't even compete for a big east title >:(

I think this is a natural question to ask, but two important things should be kept in mind: Just because these guys are invited to the combine doesn't mean they are going to make it in the NFL (though I certainly hope they all do!) and sometimes NFL talent just doesn't translate to the college-level success you might guess. USC will no doubt have a few players selected this year, but they lost four games this year. I still think Pete Carroll was a great college coach. In my opinion, out of all these guys only JPP, Selvie and Nate Allen are likely to see playing time in the NFL next season, and even that's no lock. For the others it seems like a practice squad is the most realistic possibility, but only time will tell.

I still think they should have been more competitive in the big east.  I'm not saying win it every year.  Although usc lost 4 games this year they were in the hunt for the pac 10 title until the end of the year, and they have won it the past nine years.

Yeah but USC's talent level went way beyond six guys getting invited to the NFL combine one year. Way, way, WAY beyond. Six guys going to the combine — only one of them seemingly destined to be a first round pick and three or four of them with very uncertain NFL futures — is really nothing. It's good for USF and great for the six guys, but it doesn't mean USF is all of a sudden an NFL factory.

I agree that USF should have been more competitive. But I'm not going to blast Leavitt (or place inflated expectations on Holtz) on the assumption that six guys going to the NFL combine means the team should have been a lock to win the conference.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  407
  • Days Won:  0

Grothe?

WHY IS CARLTON MITCHELL LEAVING?!?!!?

He needs to take those meaningless rings off his fingers and catch some more balls for this University. Then maybe he'll get one that means SOMETHING!

He's making a big mistake.

GO BULLS!!!

I'm as big of a fan of Matt as anyone, but he lacks the size and arm strength to play in the NFL. He was a very collegiate player, but that doesn't always translate into a quality NFL player.

Funny, that's exactly what they said about Drew Brees.

Wait, he won the Super Bowl?

Hmm.

Grothe?

He needs to take those meaningless rings off his fingers and catch some more balls for this University. Then maybe he'll get one that means SOMETHING!

GO BULLS!!!

I'm as big of a fan of Matt as anyone, but he lacks the size and arm strength to play in the NFL. He was a very collegiate player, but that doesn't always translate into a quality NFL player.

Hmm.

Who, exactly, said this about Drew Brees?

Come on. Surely you can't think it makes sense to equate Matt Grothe to Drew Brees.

Anyone who thinks Matt Grothe is a promising NFL prospect just doesn't know anything about football. It's that black and white. He was great for USF, and will be lucky if he can make a living playing beyond that.

Grothe?

GO BULLS!!!

Hmm.

Who, exactly, said this about Drew Brees?

Come on. Surely you can't think it makes sense to equate Matt Grothe to Drew Brees.

Anyone who thinks Matt Grothe is a promising NFL prospect just doesn't know anything about football. It's that black and white. He was great for USF, and will be lucky if he can make a living playing beyond that.

"He's too short to be a dominant NFL quarterback — until he proves the ridiculousness of that statement by making four Pro Bowls in the last six years." Link: http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2010/jan/30/bc-fbn-super-drewbrees-sportsplusfw-_-sports/?sports&nfl

"After finishing third in the Heisman Trophy race while at Purdue, Brees again faced perhaps his biggest obstacle, this time in a room filled with talent evaluators. “They had him at 6 feet and one-eighth or two-eighths inches,†his Purdue Coach, Joe Tiller, said. “Drew said ‘No, I’m 6-1. Measure me again.’ He said, ‘That can’t be true. I know I’m 6-1.’ â€" Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/30/sports/football/30brees.html

Seriously?

I can name 13 good NFL QB's under 6'1"

1. Doug Flutie

2. Drew Brees

3. Fran Tarkenton

4. Y.A. Tittle

5. Joe Theismann

6. Otto Graham

7. Bobby Layne

8. Jeff Blake

9. Eddie LeBaron

10. Jeff Garcia

11. Tyler Thigpen

12. Micheal Vick

13. David Garrard

Here's some more somewhat "short" QB's:

Brett Favre is 6'2"

Donovan McNabb is 6'2"

Kurt Warner is 6'2"

Aaron Rodgers is 6'2"

Check out this article, Matt is mentioned in it.

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1164&CID=831608

I can continue if you want me to.

I've been proving this for years.

Trust me.

Drew Brees was drafted in the second round. Matt Grothe will not be drafted. Drew Brees was a Heisman Trophy finalist. Matt Grothe was not. I'm not sure what you think you've proved, but being short is the ONLY thing Matt Grothe and Drew Brees have in common.

This link you offered was written last week. It does not attribute the criticisms of Brees to anyone. That is not proof of anything. And any link you CAN produce obviously won't be worth much because ... wait for it ... Drew Brees was drafted in the second round. Late enough that it's probably fair to say his size was probably a concern, but early enough to say it wasn't much of one.

Your comparison is asinine — so you do the sensible thing and further it, comparing Grothe to a list of NFL hall of famers. You don't know what you're talking about. "Trust me."

Just to clarify, because I won't be arguing this any further: Drew Brees is better than Matt Grothe. Drew Brees is WAY better than Matt Grothe. Like, not even comparable. Therefor, the argument "Matt Grothe could be good because Drew Brees is" is worthless. Matt Grothe is not an NFL quarterback.

Drew Brees was drafted in the second round. Matt Grothe will not be drafted. Drew Brees was a Heisman Trophy finalist. Matt Grothe was not. I'm not sure what you think you've proved, but being short is the ONLY thing Matt Grothe and Drew Brees have in common.

This link you offered was written last week. It does not attribute the criticisms of Brees to anyone. That is not proof of anything. And any link you CAN produce obviously won't be worth much because ... wait for it ... Drew Brees was drafted in the second round. Late enough that it's probably fair to say his size was probably a concern, but early enough to say it wasn't much of one.

Your comparison is asinine — so you do the sensible thing and further it, comparing Grothe to a list of NFL hall of famers. You don't know what you're talking about. "Trust me."

Lol.

So the Big East All-Time leader in total yards, over "short" Micheal Vick and "short" Donavan McNabb.

They said at the Super Bowl last night how Drew Brees didn't have the arm strength as the other QB's in the league.

Drew Brees also played for Purdue, who in that time, beat teams such as Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma State. Also participated in the Rose Bowl, and Alamo Bowl and a Big 10 Championship.

Purdue was in the Big 10, whom got a lot more credibility than the Big East did in that time.

He also holds 5 records at Purdue.

Drew Brees and Purdue are leaps and bounds better than the Bulls were in Matt's time.

Also, I'm not saying Matt is as good as Drew or any QB's i listed.

I'm just stating the fact that the short guys can get it done too.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Yes short guys can get it done at qb in the NFL. But you better has an exceptionally strong arm and be highly accurate.

• Content Count:  1,633

Matt never excelled as a pocket passer. He was much better on the run. That doesn't work in the NFL.

If Matt had a chance to play in the NFL, he would have been invited to the combine. He wasn't. Drew Brees was. Drew was also in consideration for the Heisman. Matt never was.

Wasn't Pat White the Big East yards leader before Matt? What is he doing now? Getting two snaps a game in the wildcat with the Dolphins???

I understand that you appreciate what Matt did for USF; we all do; but your love shouldn't blind you from reality.

Matt never excelled as a pocket passer. He was much better on the run. That doesn't work in the NFL.

If Matt had a chance to play in the NFL, he would have been invited to the combine. He wasn't. Drew Brees was. Drew was also in consideration for the Heisman. Matt never was.

Wasn't Pat White the Big East yards leader before Matt? What is he doing now? Getting two snaps a game in the wildcat with the Dolphins???

I understand that you appreciate what Matt did for USF; we all do; but your love shouldn't blind you from reality.

I would love to see Matt excel as a wildcat QB.

Pat did decent for the Dolphins until he got chair'd and was out for the season.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

All these guys have a lot to prove and my projections:

JPP- Can he be a legit top 10 guy- 1st rounder

Selvie- Can he improve his stats as an LB, didn't get a lot of praise out of Senior Bowl as a DE- 3rd -4th rounder

Allen- Can he maintain his status as one of the best Safeties coming out- 2nd rounder

Murphy- Needs to improve his stock, Senior Bowl wasn't very kind to him either- 4th-5th rounder

Mitchell- Did he make the right call, some good WR's and hybrid TE's out there-6th-7th rounder or FA

Wilson- Can his stock keep moving up, could be a very good ST player. -6th-7th rounder or FA

The way I see it JPP and Mitchell have the most to lose in this.  JPP's inexperience could expose some things and hurt is soaring status.  And CM could either shine and show some skills and rise on the board or could flop and end up hoping he gets a FA invite to a pro camp.

JPP is going to be a beast at the combine.  He has all the measurables that NFL scouts love.  If anything, he may actually improve his stock.

Archived