• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

In 2005 Andre Hall will.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

RB Hall expecting to return to Bulls

Rushing champ would leave only if assured of a first-day draft selection.

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published December 7, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Andre Hall will look into leaving early for the NFL draft, but USF's record-setting running back said Monday that he'll likely be back for his senior year.

"If I can go on the first day, I'd probably leave then, but I probably won't," said Hall, adding he will talk with coaches and the NFL's advisory service for underclassmen. "I just want to check my status, see where I would go."

Hall, who set a USF record with 1,357 rushing yards as a junior, said he hadn't put much thought into leaving early until he was asked after Saturday's season finale. He met Monday with his position coach, Carl Franks, for a postseason evaluation, as did all players. The Dixie Hollins graduate said he's looking forward to being a leader on next season's team.

"I'm focusing on next year. I want to make sure we really become a family. I want everybody to be together as one, on and off the field," he said. "I want to be a leader here. I love these guys."

Having set school records for rushing yards, rushing touchdowns and 100-yard games and finished in the top 10 in the nation in rushing and all-purpose yards, the 5-10, 205-pound Hall said he wants to improve on those numbers as a senior.

"I'm working on getting stronger, faster, bigger. I'm not focusing on the NFL. I plan on getting my degree, and that's my main focus," said Hall, 22, who is on pace to graduate in the spring of 2006 with a degree in psychology. "I've got to break my old records."

In the past five years, only five running backs from non-BCS conference teams have been taken in the first three rounds, and none was an underclassman.

Only once in USF history has a player been taken on the draft's first day, when linebacker Kawika Mitchell was a second-round pick in 2003. That same draft saw defensive end Shurron Pierson become the only Bull to leave early, and he was selected by Oakland in the fourth round.

© Copyright 2003 St. Petersburg Times. All rights reserved

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,778
  • Days Won:  3

good....now I can sleep.  :D

Guest wildrover

I even believe his statements about wanting to improve the team and bring them together.  I was watching him on the sideline on Saturday and he was the only one that was fired up cheering on the defense when they were on the field.  Yelling at the top of his lungs.  Thats a team player.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

And that is even more impressive considering that he was not even starting.  The kid shows so much heart and love for the game.  I can't wait to see him play next year.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I even believe his statements about wanting to improve the team and bring them together.  I was watching him on the sideline on Saturday and he was the only one that was fired up cheering on the defense when they were on the field.  Yelling at the top of his lungs.  Thats a team player.

Becoming a leader on this team is more important than you know.  Hopefully Andre has a few other team guys that help shape the 2005 crew, and most of the problem element will be gone.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

I love this guy... *sniffle*

NAM37

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,521
  • Days Won:  10

We need both his skill in the backfield and his leadership.  From the articles I've read, he has skill in both areas.

I also noticed that Steven Nicholas was another player trying to fire up the team both on and off the field, showing more emotion and giving more encouragement than most all of the seniors.

I'm hoping that we have upperclassmen that will hold the team to a higher standard than this year's group and Hall's remarks give me encouragement that this will occur.

We need both his skill in the backfield and his leadership.  From the articles I've read, he has skill in both areas.

I also noticed that Steven Nicholas was another player trying to fire up the team both on and off the field, showing more emotion and giving more encouragement than most all of the seniors.

I'm hoping that we have upperclassmen that will hold the team to a higher standard than this year's group and Hall's remarks give me encouragement that this will occur.

Nicholas' has spent more time firing himself up then other players.  He's a whisker away from being gone, and that wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Team players, its time to put up or move along.

Trust in Hall and others to do the firing up.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,521
  • Days Won:  10

That's surprising and sad to hear, Steve.  Especially after talking to his dad at length at the Spring Game.  It sounds like his dad, a preacher in Jacksonville, needs to come down and give a little 'hellfire and brimstone' talk to Steven.

He's one player I see going on day 1 of the draft, probably higher than Kawika.

hopefully with some other players gone, and some renewed energy exerted into the defense he can re-channel his energies, and become more of a team player.  Higher than Kawika Mitchell?  I watched Nicholas wiff on two major tackles in the Pitt game where he had the RB dead to rights at the LOS.  Those were marginal RB's, and KM would have stuffed those runs for no gain.  Long on athleticism, short on smarts.  He's been doing that all year, why do you think Josh Balloon started ahead of him for the Pitt game- better leader and tackler.

Youth, what can you say.  I also noticed Terrence Royal, and Gipson trying to fire up guys on the sidelines, however I wouldn't give them an afterthought as leaders for this team- more like problems.

One's gone, and one's on the way out.