• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Greg Auman: Gunsby commits & recruiting update on some players

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

January 31, 2010

Recruiting: QB Gunsby officially commits to USF

He'd told us three days ago he intended to commit on his official visit, so it's no surprise that Jamius "Jay" Gunsby, a 6-foot-5, 225-pound quarterback from LaGrange, Ga., told USF coaches he will be signing with the Bulls on Wednesday.

"The coaches were so warm, made you feel welcome there," Gunsby said. "I felt like this was the place I needed to be. It was my kind of environment. I'm very excited."

More on Gunsby -- his high school coach, Steve Pardue, says Florida recruited Gunsby "really heavy" and as a quarterback -- "nobody has looked at him as anything other than a quarterback," he said.

If you're counting, Sunday's commitments from Gunsby and safety Reshard Cliett give USF 13 commitments by my count, in addition to the four players who enrolled for spring classes. A few more notes ...

-- One that got away from USF was Gainesville cornerback Devont'a Davis, whose visit was cut short by a family emergency, forcing him to leave Saturday morning, according to Gainesville coach Ryan Smith. Davis will stick to his commitment to Miami, Smith said.

-- Frostproof cornerback Nickell Robey, who visited USF during the week, then Southern Cal this weekend, will choose between USC, USF and West Virginia, his high school coach Brad Metheny said Sunday.

-- Miami Northwestern defensive tackle Todd Chandler, who visited this weekend, updated his cell-phone voice mail to let reporters know he isn't giving any interviews until Wednesday. He says "my recruiting process is over" and he'll choose Wednesday between USF, Louisville, Syracuse and Colorado State.

-- USF might be back to Thomasville often in the next year, trying to get in the mix for Thomas County junior defensive end Ray Drew, who already has an offer from the Bulls, along with SEC powers like Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee.

January 31, 2010 in Football, Recruiting | Permalink

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/01/recruiting-qb-gunsby-officially-commits-to-usf.html#comments

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

Are we going to have a good QB battle in the spring? New offense to learn which evens the playing field a bit. I think BJ had better have a strong spring or he could get jumped or be splitting time with someone. Landi is going to have to be in the mix or maybe they have someone else (walk on or transfer) that can come in to push BJ. BJ will probably win in 2010 but after that who knows. This kid has great size but BJ seems to have a much stronger arm. At the end of the day it's going to be about accuracy and reading defenses, may the best man win.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I'm excited that Gunsby seems so excited. It won't win any games, I guess, but it can't hurt. A guy getting an offer from Florida but choosing USF so enthusiastically can only be a good thing.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

• Content Count:  2,352
  • Days Won:  4

I had a drunken dream last night, that we got Robey and Green. So that means it will happen, you heard it here first  ;D ;D ;D

• Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  0

6"5" 225.. Thats a BIG quarterback coming right out of highschool. Wonder if he is more of a pocket passer like Byron Leftwich or a Scrambler

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

I try my best to ignore dumb ass post. But I'm reading too many of them. Let me help you guys out. B.J WILL BE THE STARTER OF THIS TEAM. Because a guy is tall, don't mean he's going to unseat the starter. This is not the NFL. I don't think we ever got talk like this after Grothe's first year.

• Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  0

Are we going to have a good QB battle in the spring? New offense to learn which evens the playing field a bit. I think BJ had better have a strong spring or he could get jumped or be splitting time with someone. Landi is going to have to be in the mix or maybe they have someone else (walk on or transfer) that can come in to push BJ. BJ will probably win in 2010 but after that who knows. This kid has great size but BJ seems to have a much stronger arm. At the end of the day it's going to be about accuracy and reading defenses, may the best man win.

Gunsby will not be here till the fall.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Some UL fan posted Greg's blurb about Chandler on their message board.

Evidently there is some new "developments" on him. Not sure what that's about.

MikeHughes

Editor and Publisher

Rating: 3.8/5 this site

11406 posts this site

Ignore this Member

Nominate | ReportPosted: Today 9:58 PM

Re: Chandler Update:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Todd Chandler new development in the War Room.

rate it  Reply | Quote

73CardAll-American

Rating: 3.2/5 this site

4347 posts this site

Ignore this Member

Nominate | ReportPosted: Today 10:08 PM

Re: Chandler Update:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahhhh Mike.......  banghead.gif

rate it  Reply | Quote

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2759&t=5550453

Archived