• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF pulls Carnes offer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  578
  • Days Won:  0

This whole thing is funny to me as well because Bo Pelini is notorious for ripping kids and stops recruiting them for committing then visiting other schools. But when we do it, it's different.

Honestly, the coach said himself he was going to commit somewhere else. So he just wants to sit on our commit list and possibly cause other QB recruits to sign elsewhere? I really don't see how this isn't a viable reason when we want to have a QB recruit in this class and that could stop us from getting one.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Leavitt pulled a number of scholarships over the years if a USF VERBAL made an official visit to another school the weekend before signing day. So, it's not that unusual for us as a program.

In this case, Carnes electerd to take an official visit to WKU and when he got there we pulled our offer.

Commitment is a two-way street:

January 29th, 2010 04:35pm

USF withdraws Carnes’ scholarship offer

by Dennis Maffezzoli

In a stunning move six days before National Signing Day, the University of South Florida withdrew its scholarship offer to Manatee High quarterback Brion Carnes.

Carnes had committed to attend South Florida on July 24, prior to the firing of head coach Jim Leavitt. Since Skip Holtz took over for Leavitt, offensive coordinator Mike Canales also was dismissed.

According to Manatee coach Joe Kinnan, South Florida informed Carnes of the move about 30 minutes after he arrived in Bowling Green, Ky., where he had an official scheduled visit with Western Kentucky.

South Florida also left a voice message on Kinnan’s office phone at the school, which did not endear the long-time coach.

“I’ve been doing this a long time and dealt with a lot of class programs before, and nothing like this has ever happened,†Kinnan said. “That is not how things are done. They never set a deadline or anything. They just said they were filled up.â€

After the dismissal of Leavitt and Canales, Carnes planned official visits to Nebraska and Western Kentucky, where former Manatee High standout Willie Taggert is the head coach and former Bayshore and Palmetto coach Raymond Woodie is an assistant.

Kinnan said there are about 15 other BCS schools that are interested in the multi-talented Carnes, among them are Cincinnati, Clemson, Georgia and West Virginia.

But not the Bulls, Carnes’ choice to play if he elected to play in the Big East.

“Odds were he probably wasn’t going to go there anyway,†Kinnan said. “But I’ve lost a lot of respect for the South Florida program.â€

In leading the Hurricanes to the Class 5A State Final, Carnes completed 186-of-305 passes for 2,697 yards and 25 touchdowns this season.

During his four-year career as the starting quarterback, the 6-foot-1, 185-pound Carnes threw for 6,386 yards and 49 touchdowns on 58 percent (474-for-812) accuracy.

Kinnan still expects Carnes to make a decision on college by Wednesday.

But as far as taking his team on their annual trip to a South Florida game, he said they will be going elsewhere.

http://insidesports.blogs.heraldtribune.com/11849/usf-withdraws-carnes-scholarship-offer/

• Content Count:  579

The following was an excerpt from tampabay.com right after coach Holtz was hired:

"On the issue of honoring scholarships extended to recruits by Leavitt and his staff, Holtz will honor all scholarships that were extended and accepted by recruits -- the commitments are safe. Other recruits who have standing offers but have not made decisions will be re-evaluated."

From all people I can't believe he pulled Carnes' offer. I'm waiting for more details of what exactly happened, but this is not looking good right now!

Well BJ is going to be here awhile so we are saving this guy from transferring in a year.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

The following was an excerpt from tampabay.com right after coach Holtz was hired:

"On the issue of honoring scholarships extended to recruits by Leavitt and his staff, Holtz will honor all scholarships that were extended and accepted by recruits -- the commitments are safe. Other recruits who have standing offers but have not made decisions will be re-evaluated."

From all people I can't believe he pulled Carnes' offer. I'm waiting for more details of what exactly happened, but this is not looking good right now!

Well BJ is going to be here awhile so we are saving this guy from transferring in a year.

he probly would have taken a RS and been our QB as a RS JR/SR

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

It is obvious that when he talks about, "commitments are safe" it implies so long as they stay committed. Carnes "opened up" his recruitment. Holtz didn't even pull his scholarship before he went to NU, which he could have done, but at this late date certainly is under no obligation to Carnes whatsoever, just as Carnes is under no obligation to him. It really is as simple as that. Perhaps, Holtz could have handled it better, but without kinowing additional details it's hard to say.

• Content Count:  579

Kinda find it hard to believe 4 star recruits ride the bench for 3 years.  Sorry to see him go but not Earth shattering at the moment.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

4 star recruits wait their turn all over the place. Carnes won't see the field at NU as a QB for awhile...

Take EJ Manuel for example... waiting behind ponder.

plus at USF it would have been an open competition. Lets say BJD won... one bad takcle and BJ goes down a la grothe... we have Carnes waiting.

Kinda find it hard to believe 4 star recruits ride the bench for 3 years.  Sorry to see him go but not Earth shattering at the moment.

• Content Count:  509

I agree BJ is a solid QB, But all it takes is one haphazard play and your star QB goes down for the season; remember Grothe! injuries happen and will happen again. We need a SOLID back up QB! if it is not Carnes I hope Gunsby is our guy. Just hope we can add another four star recruit before it is all over.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

i'm really pissed about this...

you don't do that to your first commit of the class...

you dont walk in and **** off local HS coaches...

Carnes is far and away better than this Gunsby character.

MANATEE will have EXCELLENT 2011 recruits and now we are already eliminated from those ones.

This is but a bump in the road.  Skip can go down there and tell "Harry High School" how its gonna be and we will be able to recruit manatee kids whenever the hell we fell like it. . . . . to prohibit USF from offering a free education to one of his players is evidence that Coach kinnan is a self aggrandizing piece of violation.

Put another way, his veiled threats are pointless. . . . . . . We're USF and within 5 years we'll be numero uno inwith HS players in SW FL.  I know, Skip knows it and even Kinnan knows it.

• Content Count:  1,251

i just dont see why u would do this......im heated with holtz......he better blow our class up on signing day or i want answers

Archived