• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Just for fun...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  24
  • Days Won:  0

:o :o :o

Wow guys, didn't expect such a response! Thank you all!

Orlando: yeah, I'm planning to visit USA in a year or two so I'll definately stop by in tampa, cuz' I'm dying to see usf beat or at least compete with gators live, surrounded by loads of green shirts!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  131

uh.....  where I worked and what I did... :)  when i first joined this board....  long time ago...

• Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Joined the board back in 01, thought about going with either Keyzor Sose (favorite movie character) or Richard Itch (Bart Simpsonesque prank name), but decided I needed something more "Bull" related, so went with a humorous but allowable way of saying Bull ****.  Not extremely creative, but it works.

Guest nybullsfan

Well, I've been prepairing for my first post since Brad approved my registration and told me to write something about me here ;). I didn't want to open a separate thread for that, because it ain't that intereseting, but anyway here it goes...

My nickname originates from a slovenian historical novel written in 1907. Why Slovenian? Because I'm from Slovenia (NOT Slovakia ;) ) and I'm a big college football fan. And no, I'm not currently residing in USA :) .

I started watching NFL about 3 or 4 years ago on slovenian sports tv (I'm also a Browns fan, that's why there are orange and brown stripes in avatar). It proved to be an interesting sport so I started watching it more closely and that's how I learned about college sports in US. From the moment I got my first game (we didn't have tv broadcasts of NCAA back then, today we have ESPN America channel) I was hooked. The first CFB game I watched was Michigan - Appalachian st. and I still remember how I didn't understand what was the fuss about App st. wining it :D . So for a while I was just watching and learning about teams, conferences, style of play etc. and I didn't really have a team to root for. Then I red about young program ready for big things on SI.com and started to watch USF football a little more closely. In a matter of days I became a Bulls fan, and I hoped that someone would upload their games on the page that most europeans get their NFL and NCAA shots ;)

In the upcoming season I decided that I'll pay some money to be able to watch Bulls on ESPN360 Europe, so I can't wait for season to start. GO BULLS!

Disclaimer: please excuse my english as it is my third language.There are also lots of things I still don't know about college sports so I hope you guys will help me and not laugh at me when I'll ask something stupid  :D

Cheers!

Hey Svarun,

Welcome to the board! I'm guessing you're from Ljubljana? I spent a summer as an exchange student in Beograd and Dubrovnik back in 1985, before independence. Very good memories, but I never made it up to your "neck of the woods".

Do any of the high schools or colleges in Slovenia play American Football, or is it only enjoyed as a club sport?

• Content Count:  579

This was actually from a Foxtrot cartoon strip.  The guy was signing up for online poker and asked his wife what his name should be.  My wife would agree with this as well.

• Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

Mine comes from a term used by one of my favorite Presidents, Theodore Roosevelt. He referred to the White House as a "bully pulpit" meaning that it was a great place from which to try persuasively push through his agenda. He actually didn't use the word "bully" in the sense of using brute force or strength, but actually as an adjective meaning great/superb.

I figured that as a message board handle connected to USF, BullyPulpit would suit me well.

• Content Count:  743

Started playing video games online when I was like 14 and needed something that sounded hardcore. Listening to slayer and "postmortem" came on. Been my name for everything ever since.

• Content Count:  24

nybullsfan:

Technically I'm from a much smaller town (11000 inhabitants) but I'm going to college in Ljubljana, so I live there through the week and go back home on weekends.

Collegiate sports in Slovenia (and I think in all Europe) are not even near the Div III basketball level. Why? Because two of the best and biggest universities in country are free to enroll. You don't need to pay tuition or anything. You need to qualify with your grades though. Every University has so called faculties (I don't know if that term is used in US) which have their own dean, professors and students. For instance, I study at Faculty of Economics (part of University of Ljubljana) and I have all the classes and professors there. These faculties are scattered in the city of Ljubljana, so there's no big campuses and so on... it's pretty different, but I totally missed the track here, so let me get back to your original question about collegiate sports...

Athletes aren't motivated to play collegiate sports, they rather do it in clubs where they get paid and get better coaching. I'm talking about sports in general here. When it comes to American football, I'm not sure that many people differentiate it from rugby. Things are getting better last few years, so people know a bit more, but Slovenia will stay the country of Basketball, Football (won't call it soccer ;) ), Handball and Skiing for a long time. We have a semi-pro club that competes in Central European Football League and this year we started a Slovenian league with a few new amateur teams emerging. Things are moving in a better direction, but there is still such a big gap in quality, compared to the US, that I can't even talk about it.

• Content Count:  1,894

well, I was going to come up with extremely and blatently false story for my name but its pretty obvious that my name is bulls on the rise. Since joining the university to play baseball in  our last conference usa years and rushing the football field as a student athlete when we went to something like 4 overtime games and won was pretty special. Having our locker room in the sun dome, and athletic offices over by the campus housing and upgrading to what you see now. We have pretty much been on the rise. I felt like that was pretty much the direction of the entire campus not just sports.

Guest nybullsfan

nybullsfan:

Technically I'm from a much smaller town (11000 inhabitants) but I'm going to college in Ljubljana, so I live there through the week and go back home on weekends.

Collegiate sports in Slovenia (and I think in all Europe) are not even near the Div III basketball level. Why? Because two of the best and biggest universities in country are free to enroll. You don't need to pay tuition or anything. You need to qualify with your grades though. Every University has so called faculties (I don't know if that term is used in US) which have their own dean, professors and students. For instance, I study at Faculty of Economics (part of University of Ljubljana) and I have all the classes and professors there. These faculties are scattered in the city of Ljubljana, so there's no big campuses and so on... it's pretty different, but I totally missed the track here, so let me get back to your original question about collegiate sports...

Athletes aren't motivated to play collegiate sports, they rather do it in clubs where they get paid and get better coaching. I'm talking about sports in general here. When it comes to American football, I'm not sure that many people differentiate it from rugby. Things are getting better last few years, so people know a bit more, but Slovenia will stay the country of Basketball, Football (won't call it soccer ;) ), [glow=red,2,300]Handball [/glow]and Skiing for a long time. We have a semi-pro club that competes in Central European Football League and this year we started a Slovenian league with a few new amateur teams emerging. Things are moving in a better direction, but there is still such a big gap in quality, compared to the US, that I can't even talk about it.

Wow, free tuition. What a concept!

Oh, come on, you can call it soccer, we do! Haha!

Just in case anybody's wondering, this is European Handball, a very fun game to watch, I imagine it's a lot more fun to play. I caught a couple of matches at the Barcelona Olympics back in '92. Very different from our US version, and a very exciting game. Kind of a cross between Basketball and Ultimate Frisbee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Handball

Archived