• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Back in the mix with Nickell Robey?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  1

AD: Nickell Robey ‘probably not going to sign with Georgia’

6:22 pm January 25, 2010, by Chip Towers

Nickell Robey is probably not going to sign with Georgia.

That was the assessment of Frostproof High School athletics director Charles Loveless, who spoke to the AJC on Robey’s behalf Monday afternoon.

Robey, a 5-foot-8, 175-pound cornerback, is still listed as a Georgia commitment. But he has been looking around at other schools for weeks now. He visited West Virginia this past weekend, will travel to Southern Cal next weekend and has somebody in his ear from South Florida nearly every day.

From where Loveless is sitting, it appears imminent that the dynamic two-way athlete will probably end up elsewhere.

“Georgia’s listing him as a soft commit but I don’t think he’s going to Georgia,†said Loveless, who has helped marshal Robey’s recruitment since coach Brad Metheny resigned at the end of the season. “I’m a close friend of Mark Richt from our Florida State days. But basically [Robey]  liked Coach [Willie] Martinez a lot and wanted to play for him. He told them when all that happened he was not happy with the change. You have to realize, Coach Martinez was sitting in his living room one day and was gone two days later. That’s pretty tough on a kid.â€

Loveless said the four-star cornerback has dutifully listened to Georgia’s pleas to wait out the search for a new defensive coordinator and honor his commitment.

{[Assistant coach] Bryan McClendon has been calling a lot,†Loveless said. “They’re still doing a nice job of recruiting him. But in the end I think the Willie Martinez thing is going to be too much to overcome.â€

Meanwhile, Robey has shut down all media contact while he figures out what he wants to do.

“He’s not answering phone calls or returning messages right now,†Loveless said. “He had a visit from West Virginia this morning to follow up on his visit up there. Skip Holtz [the new South Florida coach] was here last week and is trying to get him to come down there. He’s planning to visit Southern Cal next week. Monte Kiffin has been very persistent. He’s probably been in here more than is legal. Of course they don’t pay attention to the rules.â€

Loveless said there’s a good reason there remains so much fuss over Robey.

“I don’t think a lot of people realize what kind of athlete he is,†Loveless said. “Do you realize three times he has been state runner-up in the long jump? He’s jumped 24-7 (24 feet, 7 inches). His vertical (leap) at the Under Armour combine was 42 inches. I don’t know where people are getting that his 5-7. He’s probably 5-8 1/2 or 9. This is the most explosive athlete I’ve ever seen. And he’s a good football player. Probably better on offense if you want to know the truth.â€

So where does Loveless think he’ll end up?

“Southern Cal is a long, long way to go. Too far probably,†Loveless said. “I think West Virginia is probably in there. And Virginia Tech is probably in there, too. That’s a team that has been kind of under the radar but quietly recruiting him all along. He camped down there and likes the coaches and they’ve been very consistent and kind of low-key with him. Honestly, Georgia is probably a poor third right now. His best bet might be South Florida but they’re playing catch-up with Skip Holtz.

“I’d say he’s probably pretty confused right now. I don’t think see him making up his mind until signing day.â€

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2010/01/25/frostproof-ad-nickell-robey-probably-not-going-to-sign-with-georgia/

• Content Count:  165
  • Days Won:  0

As a young guy (19), I find myself getting into the behind the scenes works (recruiting and such) more and more. So I have a question about signing day. :D

Will we know about the players that sign all at once or scattered throughout the day? Also, what's the latest on Feb. 3rd we'll know for sure? Thanks.

• Content Count:  4,879

faxes start coming in early AM and contiunue all day, a few even go to the next day or so.

• Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  1

ESPN's Bruce Feldman wrote a book called "Meat Market" which follows Ed Orgeron's first year as the Head Coach of Ole Miss back in 2007. It is almost 100% focused on what happens behind the scenes in recruiting. If this stuff is interesting to you, it's worth a read.

• Content Count:  178

"Monte Kiffin has been very persistent. He’s probably been in here more than is legal. Of course they don’t pay attention to the rules.â€

Interesting......

I see USC found a new coaching staff that is willing to work around the rules.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

As a young guy (19), I find myself getting into the behind the scenes works (recruiting and such) more and more. So I have a question about signing day. :D

Will we know about the players that sign all at once or scattered throughout the day? Also, what's the latest on Feb. 3rd we'll know for sure? Thanks.

4 guys are already in school.  2 are jucos-Curtis Weatherspoon and Claude Davis.  2 are HS guys-Austin Reiter and Brandon Wilkinson.

As for Feb. 3, the earliest letters of intent can be faxed in is 7:30 (I think).  They will come in throughout the day depending on when the kids are announcing at their various schools.  Last year was high excitement with one we did not expect (Kayvon Webster) and one who got away (Jayron Hosley).  The usf official site and the blogs (well at least Auman, I expect Carter too though) will be updated throughout the day if it holds to form.

• Content Count:  165

4 guys are already in school.  2 are jucos-Curtis Weatherspoon and Claude Davis.  2 are HS guys-Austin Reiter and Brandon Wilkinson.

As for Feb. 3, the earliest letters of intent can be faxed in is 7:30 (I think).  They will come in throughout the day depending on when the kids are announcing at their various schools.  Last year was high excitement with one we did not expect (Kayvon Webster) and one who got away (Jayron Hosley).  The usf official site and the blogs (well at least Auman, I expect Carter too though) will be updated throughout the day if it holds to form.

Thank you.

• Content Count:  651

ESPN's Bruce Feldman wrote a book called "Meat Market" which follows Ed Orgeron's first year as the Head Coach of Ole Miss back in 2007. It is almost 100% focused on what happens behind the scenes in recruiting. If this stuff is interesting to you, it's worth a read.

What a great book! Such a good look into recruiting and how not only can coaches be deceiving, but players can be just as bad! Also, some big name recruits being thrown around in that book.

• Content Count:  1,037

That's a very interesting article. Nice read.

Archived