• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leason from Leavitt

SRQ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Leavitt still has that Alabama contract with him. He showed his players and he has shown many. David Zimroth was talking on the radio the other day that he actually got to hold the Alabama contract for Leavitt. But some of you guys that hate Leavitt just like to keep putting the man down. Nevermind the fact that he made USF what it is today. Gosh, I hate some of these johnny come lately fans we have at USF.

Yeah, some don't understand, we likely wouldn't have that athletic bldg without Leavitt's efforts.  We certainly didn't have it before..  And, we wouldn't be in the big east without that and that 9-2 02 season prior to the conferences realigning.  It's possible we may even still be 1-AA.

But thanks for building our program Leavitt, now screw you!  We need to remember that if Holtz bolts on us.

if we have success you can expect holtz to bolt... ill be fine with it if he leaves us better off

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

cmhatter,

Dont worry if he leaves as USF will have to do what Miami did. Miami kept the momentum going after Howard Schnellenberger left by hiring Jimmie Johnson then Dennis Erickson then Butch Davis. USF will have to carry the momentum which I think they did with the Holtz hire. I would have been so ticked off if USF would have pulled a Bucs move and hire an unknown young assistant. I think USF made the best hire that anyone could ask for this late in the game.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

cmhatter,

Dont worry if he leaves as USF will have to do what Miami did. Miami kept the momentum going after Howard Schnellenberger left by hiring Jimmie Johnson then Dennis Erickson then Butch Davis. USF will have to carry the momentum which I think they did with the Holtz hire. I would have been so ticked off if USF would have pulled a Bucs move and hire an unknown young assistant. I think USF made the best hire that anyone could ask for this late in the game.

if we win conference titles this job will be extremely coveted.

• Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

cmhatter,

You got that right!!! If Holtz leaves after we win the BIG EAST, I think Woolard can find another great coach to continue the momentum. Also, I dont think it will be easy for anyone to leave USF as we have that great location. Look at how much Leavitt loved it here. He never wanted to leave, and he still gave USF a ringing endorsement during his plea to get his job left. Holtz having family close by could make it hard for him to leave as he knows he can get national championships at USF. Cincy was so close at getting into that title game this year. WVU just had to beat Pitt to get in, so it can be done in the new BIG EAST. And when that does happen, more people will give the BIG EAST the much needed respect. Hopefully, Holtz is the one that gets USF to that level. Talk about a boom that would be for our fan base.

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

You're delusional from the very euphoria Leavitt brought to USF.  The Big East is like USF, both have no history, no prestige, no tradition and no money compared to real BCS conferences.  They're both just stepping stones.  The lesson Holtz should learn from Leavitt is don't overstay your welcome.  Somehow, I don't believe that will become a problem for Holtz.

wrong, wrong, wrong.  you couldn't be more wrong.  USF under Holtz could easily become the next 'Miami'.  And winning today counts for far more than all your 'history, prestige and tradition'.  And the money will follow.  Just watch Mr. Show-me state.  but pipe down a little while you're watching.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Not to mention CJL mentioned it in his plea for his job that he had turned down more money at other schools to stay on with USF as it was his dream job.

All I am saying is that I did not know he turned down more money, I always heard his name mentioned and he would turn around and deny it. I missed that he had a meeting he characterized as "casual" with someone from Alabama.

I think the more money thing is implied if he is interviewing for Alabama - don't exactly need that part documented.

At the time, I think Jim was using it more as a threat to get USF to invest more in football.  There is no doubt during his time here he turned down offers from bigger programs that could pay more money.  That doesn't excuse what he did or the cover-up that appears to have followed, but we should at least respect that Jim had a true love for USF and Tampa area.

You're delusional from the very euphoria Leavitt brought to USF.  The Big East is like USF, both have no history, no prestige, no tradition and no money compared to real BCS conferences.  They're both just stepping stones.  The lesson Holtz should learn from Leavitt is don't overstay your welcome.  Somehow, I don't believe that will become a problem for Holtz.

wrong, wrong, wrong.  you couldn't be more wrong.  USF under Holtz could easily become the next 'Miami'.  And winning today counts for far more than all your 'history, prestige and tradition'.  And the money will follow.  Just watch Mr. Show-me state.  but pipe down a little while you're watching.

USF is merely a stepping stone for Holtz and will continue to be a revolving door for young coaches on their way to their dream jobs.  You guys are about to get a dose of reality.

You could say that about practically any mid-level BCS school.  Time will tell what Holtz ultimately wants to do, but if he can take us to the next level and then wants to leave for greener pastures, I wish him luck.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Agreed, but now I don't see USF as a mid-level school.  It's going to be a middle of the pack program in the weakest BCS Conference in the country.  A lesson USF fans are about to learn is every time you change coaches you set the program back.  Since you've never changed coaches thanks to Leavitt's loyalty, you have not experienced that reality.  After Hotz gets the program clicking it will be time for him to move on to a more prestigious program.  Then the cycle starts all over again with a new head coach, new assistants and starting all over again building recruiting relationships.

Mizzou,

That's what it is right now.  That's part of JL's problem, he couldn't get us beyond "a middle of the pack program in the weakest BCS Conference".  I disagree that he would necessarily move on if successful.  In Florida, close to family, no great history to match or overcome, quick access to country's best recruits, good and improving facilities, etc.  He could end up staying for the same reasons that JL wanted to stay. The only job he may move for would be Notre Dame for the massive pay increase and a chance to match his father's accomplishments, however, I feel that he could do everything else in college football from USF without much of the hassles that some of the major programs have.  In any case, if he gets us beyond "a middle of the pack program in the weakest BCS Conference", then he would be successful and we (USF people) will all be happy and will have to move on.  No problem!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,492
  • Days Won:  13

USF is merely a stepping stone for Holtz and will continue to be a revolving door for young coaches on their way to their dream jobs.  You guys are about to get a dose of reality.

You could say that about practically any mid-level BCS school.  Time will tell what Holtz ultimately wants to do, but if he can take us to the next level and then wants to leave for greener pastures, I wish him luck.

Agreed, but now I don't see USF as a mid-level school.  It's going to be a middle of the pack program

Thatswhat we are now. Thats all Jim was able to do. We needed a change. Tell Jim to head down to the Sun Belt/

Agreed, but now I don't see USF as a mid-level school.  It's going to be a middle of the pack program in the weakest BCS Conference in the country.  A lesson USF fans are about to learn is every time you change coaches you set the program back.  Since you've never changed coaches thanks to Leavitt's loyalty, you have not experienced that reality.  After Hotz gets the program clicking it will be time for him to move on to a more prestigious program.  Then the cycle starts all over again with a new head coach, new assistants and starting all over again building recruiting relationships.

Weakest BCS conference?  Come on, your obvious anger with the school because you perceive they mistreated your friend is affecting your rational thought.

And as someone has pointed out, if we become a middle of the pack BE team that is as far as Jim Leavitt ever took them.  I was not certain his time was up.  I was starting to believe it - it takes a completely different personality to build a company from nothing as it does to manage and succeed at a fortune 500.  Still, based purely on performance and what he had done to get us here I'd have given him at least another few years.

Now that he is gone, I don't think it is doom and gloom.  Many schools replace coaching staff and find great success.  Certainly some take steps back and some go stagnant.  That is what is so exciting about sports - there are no guarantees.

Archived