• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quoted from Skip Holtz mouth per G.A. more recent blog

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  158
  • Days Won:  0

January 12, 2010

Holtz, USF and other coaching nuggets

I'm in the middle of the circus, here at the Orlando World Center, where the national coaches' convention has practically everybody in college football wandering around.

Walk into the media room, and there's Tommy Tuberville. Come back an hour later and Nick Saban is holding court. Elevator doors open up and Bob Stoops walks out.

I was over here Sunday and am back today, and I've seen every assistant on USF's still-in-limbo coaching staff, along with all the grad assistants and program assistants. They're in a bad place, their futures uncertain through no real fault of their own, still hopeful that they might be able to keep their jobs but resigned to the reality of having to pursue other openings right now. There hasn't been as much turnover in the business this season, so it's not a good year to be fired, if you will.

-- East Carolina coach Skip Holtz, front and center in all USF talk here in Orlando, spoke with reporters this morning, and I was fortunate enough to speak with him for a few minutes this afternoon.

He said he has not heard from USF since their initial call Sunday to gauge his interest -- "it's their decision at this point," he said. To be clear, he's not politicking for the job, just indicating an interest. "It's a Big East job and a great situation," he said.

Asked if he'd expressed a public interest in other jobs he's been mentioned with, including Big East openings at Cincinnati and Louisville, and Holtz said this is different, if only because of the timing with the convention and reporters like me in direct contact with him.

"I haven't walked around the corner and had eight media in front of me," he said. "(Normally) you don't answer the calls. I try not to do my business in the media with all this. It's my honest opinion that I have an interest."

-- Talked with Houston coach Kevin Sumlin, whose name has been mentioned as a potential candidate, and he seems nearly annoyed by the way his name has been floated for so many vacancies. "All this speculation, it hasn't come from South Florida, and it hasn't come from me," he said.

-- Former Tennessee coach Phil Fulmer has indicated an interest in USF, but after talking with him, I think he'd be interested in most high-level openings right now. "I don't know enough about South Florida to say yes or no, but I set my parameters pretty high if I were going to get back into coaching," Fulmer said. "I'm looking for somebody that competes at a high level and is committed to winning championships. I think they fit that bill. I haven't heard anything from them. They know how to reach me if they need to." Fulmer's wife, Vicky, is from St. Petersburg and a Seminole High graduate, so the area has more significance to him.

-- Latest name dropped by Yahoo's Tom Dienhart is Middle Tennessee State's Rick Stockstill, who played at Florida State and grew up in Fernandina Beach. Dienhart said Stockstill was contacted by USF on Sunday, much like Holtz, but I haven't been able to reach him here in Orlando.

-- I've seen a few players turned coaches, like Marcus Edwards and Danny Verpaele, and former assistants like Earl Lane and Troy Douglas. Former Bulls defensive coordinator Rick Kravitz, who's had a rough few years since leaving the Bulls to go to N.C. State, landed this weekend as defensive coordinator at I-AA Youngstown State.

---After reading the few quotes (bolded above) from Skip Holtz it sounds like if he gets an offer he's taking the job...

---And after reading the opinion and statement (bolded above) from Phil Fulmer, sounds like he thinks we are capable of winning NC and being a "high level" team....NOT that I didn't already know that, b/c of course I thought that, BUT it's still good to hear from other coaches who really aren't biased like me...

:)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

The only thing I don't like, is from those quotes, it sounds like USF hasn't interviewed either Fulmer or Holtz.  Now that doesn't necessary make that true, but if true....what the hell has Woolard been doing this week?   

• Content Count:  158

Well supposedly Holtz is meeting with the AD tonite...and to reiterate the lack of an interview, as of Tuesday afternoon.....read this:

GREENVILLE-  East Carolina Coach Skip Holtz wants to put an end to rampant rumors coming out of Florida.

“I have not interviewed with USF and I have not been offered the job,“ Holtz told WNCT-TV Sports Director Brian Bailey Tuesday afternoon. Holtz is in Orlando for the American Football Coaches Association meetings.

Several media outlets in Florida say Holtz is the leading candidate to replace Jim Leavitt at USF. Holtz did tell a group of reporters that he had an interest in the job because of his many ties to the state of Florida. Skip’s wife Jen is from Port Charlotte, and his parents live in Orlando.

“There is nothing to report,“ added Holtz.

Holtz wrapped up his fifth year with the East Carolina program with the Pirate’s 20-17 loss in the Liberty Bowl on December 2nd.

• Content Count:  12,293

Holtz would be a much better hire than Fulmer.

• Content Count:  2,478

This was posted earlier this afternoon. And word/rumor is that Holtz was coming down to Tampa for an interview. So it is quite possible that a lot has changed in the past few hours.

• Content Count:  178

Just because Holtz has not been contacted directly yet does not mean that the two sides are not talking.  USF's AD and Holtz's agents could have been in constant contact about a contract.  It is also possible that since the numbers are close he is now coming to Tampa to speak directly with the AD.  In this situation both parties could deny talking with each other.  They would also know that each is interested in the other and allow the situation to be handled behind closed doors and away from the media.  USF can not afford their coaching search to be in the public eye in case several coaches were to turn them down creating an even worse buzz.  Holtz can not afford this to be in the public eye in the event that he stays at ECU.

• Content Count:  879

Holtz does not have an agent.  He speaks for himself.  Now he and Neinas (or whatever that guy's name is) may be talking, but not through any agent of Holtz.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

He needs to at least talk to Fulmer

No, he doesn't ....

• Content Count:  1,757

He needs to at least talk to Fulmer

No, he doesn't ....

Explain why? It seems like Fulmer is generally not been considered for any recent opening. I really do not understand.

Archived