• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If Leavitt is fired, why not promote Joe Tresey to Head Coach

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

if usf fires leavitt or leavitt walks, usf needs to bring in new blood

+1

I would like to see and offensive minded coach come in.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,828
  • Days Won:  22

I would be okay with promoting him to interm Head Coach for the year, and see what happens.

So, you're so hell bent on seeing Leavitt not be the head coach that you would rather give a guy with no HC experience a year to see how it goes?

...uhh, hello mr. 4 star recruit, I am Joe Tresey, "interim" head coach at USF. I have one year of recruiting in Florida under my belt, and who knows, I might not be here next year, but would you come to USF and play for me...errr...or whoever the coach is when you get here in August?

Phenomenal, yeah, lets give him a year and see what happens, thats how those conference and national contenders you so have your heart set on being operate.

:ROFLMAO

Ummmm, isn't UF doing that this year???

First off we are NOT UF and an interim coach would be disastrous for recruiting. If Leavitt does not return USF will have to move fast in getting a HC or we will waste a year in recruiting.

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

he would be defensive minded, but would bud foster leave va tech for usf hc job?  i think he was interested in wvu and clemson jobs the last couple of years.

• Content Count:  720

Besides from the facilities and this that and the other I would bet that Woolard has already been contacted by "interested" people. I really feel that the reason assistants are so hard to get here is because of CJL. I have NO insider info but, I would be willing to bet we wouldn't have to look long for a suitable replacement.

• Content Count:  879

Skip Holtz?  Dan McCarney?  I would venture to guess that either of these two would be interested.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I would be okay with promoting him to interm Head Coach for the year, and see what happens.

So, you're so hell bent on seeing Leavitt not be the head coach that you would rather give a guy with no HC experience a year to see how it goes?

...uhh, hello mr. 4 star recruit, I am Joe Tresey, "interim" head coach at USF. I have one year of recruiting in Florida under my belt, and who knows, I might not be here next year, but would you come to USF and play for me...errr...or whoever the coach is when you get here in August?

Phenomenal, yeah, lets give him a year and see what happens, thats how those conference and national contenders you so have your heart set on being operate.

:ROFLMAO

Ummmm, isn't UF doing that this year???

First off we are NOT UF and an interim coach would be disastrous for recruiting. If Leavitt does not return USF will have to move fast in getting a HC or we will waste a year in recruiting.

And to answer your question, no, that is not what UF is doing. The have a HC in place, and someone else is running the team while he takes some time away. Completely different situation. Urban is telling recruits that he is going to be coaching come August, so they can be confident.

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

Skip Holtz?  Dan McCarney?  I would venture to guess that either of these two would be interested.

I was suprised that McCarney was passed up for the DC job at UF.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

If Leavitt was fired then how could you promote someone from the staff to be the HC?  Wouldn't the entire staff be tainted by Leavitt's actions?  Arguably shouldn't they all be dumped then?

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

McCarney has been brought up, but if Meyer isn't hiring him as a DC, that may be a sign the guy isn't meant for a top job. I hear he's a good guy though, but that doesn't always equate into him being able to get the job done.

Skip Holtz would be a longshot, though he did coach UConn a few years ago before Edsall. But from what I hear, he likes it at ECU. They're winning CUSA championships (not BCS, but still decent) pretty regularly up there. Plus, the 2nd point is I think he would remain at ECU unless a really big legit job opened up, he may be hoping that ECU finds itself in a BCS conference (i.e. the Big East) within the next 2-3 years, especially if the Big 10 takes a BE team. And if he's already got pretty quality recruiting (enough to upset teams like VT and WVU), then he could be one of those teams that moves into the Big East and immediately is competitive.

The unfortunate side to all of this hoopla, is that if CJL is out, it's a lose-lose situation. There's no way we get a coach in here that really has that WOW factor. Recruits drop off, and if we lose a year of decent recruiting, it would mean the team's dropoff wouldn't even be seen until the 2011 team for the most part. And if whomever comes in can't get good classes (see: Kragthorpe), USF could be in for a long couple of years, possibly spend the whole 20teens decade being bottom feeders, getting beaten up by everyone, in and out of conference (just think if the new coach wants to renew the UCF rivalry and they end up getting 4 straight wins on us...).

Obviously, that's worse case scenario, but it's the only thing that scares me with how this is going down. The only time for a new head coach to get hired and not hurt tremendously is in the month of December. After the bowl games, kids are already starting to make up their minds where they're going and if a new coach doesn't get on the recruiting trail until mid-late January, it's death. Just sayin'.

Archived