• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

From my prior post "when do we call for Heath's Head"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

I am glad at the responses, I wanted to make the point that why do you attack Leavitt for our Football record and then defend the basketball program so strongly?  The MBB program is much older, yet we have an even worse conference record.  I honestly do not want to see Heath go, and I know it is the first conference loss, but so many on this board destroyed Leavitt and the Football team after Rutgers and this game in L'ville was no different. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I am in the neither of them should go for on-field performance, but comparing yesterday's UL game to RU is silly.  We were down 1 point at the half yesterday.  We were beat down by RU and never threatened.

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Jim's football team haven't improve on the field. And other teams have gotten better. Heath is actually trying to build this team from the bottom. He is trying to get good recruits to come to USF. He's also coaching in the Big East. The best conference in the country. What would happen if Jim had to coach USF in the SEC? We would be competing with Miss. St, Kentucky, Vandy to stay out of the bottom. Heath's squad would be in the middle of the pack every year in the SEC. 

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I think the time has mostly to do with it. Fans saw progress in the football team all the way up to 2007. Now there has been no progress, possibly a regression for the last 2 seasons. If Heath has 2 seasons of regression you will see people calling for his head also.

When you think about it, except for a few, hearing someone calling for the ousting of Leavitt prior to the Cincinnati game this year was unheard of. Then after the Pitt game it got worse, then the Rutgers game, then the Miami game. The growing criticism of Leavitt is a relatively new thing. Being a head coach for a long time is a hard thing to do, generally people get tired of each other over time. Unless Leavitt were to win at a very high level like a Bowden or a Paterno or a Carroll, it is unusual to see people in coaching jobs for more than 10 years.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

I think the time has mostly to do with it. Fans saw progress in the football team all the way up to 2007. [glow=red,2,300]Now there has been no progress, possibly a regression for the last 2 seasons.[/glow] If Heath has 2 seasons of regression you will see people calling for his head also.

When you think about it, except for a few, hearing someone calling for the ousting of Leavitt prior to the Cincinnati game this year was unheard of. Then after the Pitt game it got worse, then the Rutgers game, then the Miami game. The growing criticism of Leavitt is a relatively new thing. Being a head coach for a long time is a hard thing to do, generally people get tired of each other over time. Unless Leavitt were to win at a very high level like a Bowden or a Paterno or a Carroll, it is unusual to see people in coaching jobs for more than 10 years.

Nailed it!  We play in the weakest BCS Conference with much better recruiting compared to 4 years ago, yet our performance is worse than it was 4 years ago.  With Heath, we at least see signs of hope.  Plus, it's the best BB conference / worst BCS.......apples / oranges.

AND, Florida is not a BB recruiting hot bed like it is for football.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Bulldozier, Brown Bull of Cooley and Sitting Bull make excellent points.  and thats why fans are rightfully beginning to call for Leavitts job. 

its funny because the apologist who used to defend McCullum to stay always used the excuse that the team was improving, even if it was clear he was completely outmatched at his poistion.  But in football, our team is not improving, in facetregressing. we now fell to under 500 in the BE and does seem we are clearly outchoached in X's and O's. 

So by the apologist reasoning Leavitt should be fired.  just saying...very hypocritical

• Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

I think the time has mostly to do with it. Fans saw progress in the football team all the way up to 2007. [glow=red,2,300]Now there has been no progress, possibly a regression for the last 2 seasons.[/glow] If Heath has 2 seasons of regression you will see people calling for his head also.

Nailed it!  We play in the weakest BCS Conference with much better recruiting compared to 4 years ago, yet our performance is worse than it was 4 years ago.  With Heath, we at least see signs of hope.  Plus, it's the best BB conference / worst BCS.......apples / oranges.

We do not play in the weakest conference in the BCS, riduculous sentiment like that is exactly the reason for so many of ya'lls unrealistic expectations. 

• Content Count:  1,985

And every year there are signs of hope on the football field, that is exactly what is being said in this thread.  We have had big gains until the last two years, and we have big recruiting, and we lose in conference and everyone thinks we should win.  In these years we still get to bowl games, we still have winning seasons overall.  There really is no difference other than years in the position.  Leavitt has to recruit against some of the biggest names in football programs here as does Heath with the BE teams.  Heath actually has an advantage here as you can tell a player come her rather than and SEC or ACC school to play in the elite conference AND get playing time.  However the fact remains in my opinion Leavitt is getting a much worse rap than he deserves, and this was an example.

Beside, you say Florida is not a BB state, yet UF has as many NC in MBB as football I believe....

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

And every year there are signs of hope on the football field, that is exactly what is being said in this thread.  We have had big gains until the last two years, and we have big recruiting, and we lose in conference and everyone thinks we should win.  In these years we still get to bowl games, we still have winning seasons overall.  There really is no difference other than years in the position.  Leavitt has to recruit against some of the biggest names in football programs here as does Heath with the BE teams.  Heath actually has an advantage here as you can tell a player come her rather than and SEC or ACC school to play in the elite conference AND get playing time.  However the fact remains in my opinion Leavitt is getting a much worse rap than he deserves, and this was an example.

Beside, you say Florida is not a BB state, yet UF has as many NC in MBB as football I believe....

I don't know if you have noticed but most people aren't exactly patient anymore.

This is what everybody wants to hear.

President Camacho: Now I understand everyone's $#!& emotional right now. But I've got a 3 point plan that's going to fix EVERYTHING.

Congressman #1: Break it down, Camacho!

President Camacho: Number 1: We've got this guy Not Sure. Number 2: He's got a higher IQ than ANY MAN ALIVE. and Number 3: He's going to fix EVERYTHING.

Now just replace President Camocho with AD Doug Wollard and Not Sure with X new coach's name.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

FireEveryoneDamnit.gif

usfbullcpa, you'll never get a reconsideration from the usuals.  Just like they like to refer to Leavitt's "failures" in October/November, the basketball team has done the same for decades.  It's not a calendar related outcome - it's a conference related outcome whether it be C-USA or Big East.

We've not been able to establish any dominance in any sport for as long as I have been a fan.  Fortunately for other USF coaches, they are not high profile, nor do they make a lot of money like Leavitt (which has become a very bad thing in the last 12 months).  Fans have not invested in other sports like they have in football.  I guarantee flsportsfan83 didn't tell all his Miami homies that we would beat them in baseball.

Archived