• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Video of Manatee's Win over Aquinas

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  622
  • Days Won:  0

You get to see a good amount of the action including some nice plays by Brion and Ace.

• Content Count:  21,321
  • Days Won:  10

Wow, I hope we get some of those players.  ****

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,686
  • Days Won:  108

Nice pass for a TD to the back shoulder at around the 6:40 mark.  Seemed to underthrow the deep balls a bit.  But looks poised.  Glad he's coming.  If Landi is switching to WR as it appears, he could be playing next year behind BJ.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

If Landi is switching to WR as it appears, he could be playing next year behind BJ.

The Toro Loco formation would be nice with Carnes and Sanders (if we can land Ace).

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,623
  • Days Won:  29

Wake-Up Call: Manatee QB ready to make good on promise

By JOEY JOHNSTON | The Tampa Tribune

Published: December 15, 2009

The Wake-Up Call greets you each weekday with news, views and a few Tampa Bay area sports offerings to anticipate for the day and night. We encourage suggestions and contributions.

Good morning!

Friday night's Class 5A state championship meeting with the Plant Panthers is more than just a game for Manatee High School senior quarterback Brion Carnes.

It's his destiny.

He was an eighth-grader in 2005, watching from the stands, as the Hurricanes lost at home in the state semifinals.

Afterward, he approached disappointed Manatee coach Joe Kinnan.

"Coach," he said, "I promise you I'm going to get you another state championship."

Friday night at the Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando – when the Hurricanes (13-1) meet the Panthers (12-1) – Carnes will start his 51st game as Manatee's quarterback, capping a brilliant career. He says it's his time. And he knows it's also time to make good on that promise.

Carnes, a 6-foot-1, 185-pounder who has given an oral commitment to the University of South Florida, already has earned the full respect of Plant coach Robert Weiner.

"He manages the game tremendously," said Weiner, who got a first-hand look at Carnes when Manatee defeated Plant 49-33 in an exhibition game Aug. 28. "He can hurt you very much if you're selling out to get pressure on him and you don't get him. If he just slides out of the pocket, even for a brief second, he throws it well on the run. He has a really strong arm and can fit the ball into places.

"He hurts you with his arm and his feet. He's a dual threat, for sure."

This season, Carnes has completed 59.7 percent of his passes for 2,245 yards, 24 touchdowns and just eight interceptions. He has rushed for 441 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Carnes, Manatee's all-time passing leader, is often compared to past Hurricane greats such as Tommie Frazier (his cousin) or Willie Taggart. He has even been described as the high school version of Vince Young for his ability to glide in the pocket, shed tacklers and deliver on-the-money passes with a flick of his wrist.

"Those are compliments, but to be honest, I just want to make a name for myself," said Carnes, whose first name is pronounced "bree-ahn."

That can be assured on Friday night.

Manatee is shooting for its fifth state championship under Kinnan, who won in 1983, 1985, 1989 and 1992.

Carnes wants to equal the accomplishment of his father, Lorenzo, a running back on Manatee's 1985 state title team.

"Brion is a legacy player," Kinnan said, "as is Ace Sanders," a senior wide receiver, four-year starter and son of Tracy Sanders, the quarterback on Manatee's 1983 state title team. "The leadership of those guys has really picked up, along with their athletic ability.

"Brion is everything you want in a quarterback. He has so many accomplishments and so much experience. He's looking for one more thing. All of us are."

A state championship.

Carnes knows he must put aside Friday's landmark 28-20 victory against Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas, the nation's No. 1-ranked team, in the state semifinals.

"It was fun playing my last game out here at Joe Kinnan Field," Carnes said. "Beating the No. 1 team in the nation means a lot. I'll always have that memory.

"But we've got to win one more. I knew I had to stay patient. My mom always told me, 'Brion, your time will come.' I've been patient for four years. Now it's our time, our time."

Sounds like a promise.

Archived