• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Clock ticking on Bulls' bid to get passports in time for International Bowl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

What a gaffe this would be...

By SARAH HOYE | The Tampa Tribune

The Hillsborough County Clerk's Office threw a heck of a Hail Mary pass Thursday in attempts to get the University of South Florida football team to the International Bowl in Toronto on Jan. 2.

Now all the Bulls can do is hold their breath.

USF is running a hurry-up offense to expedite passports for nearly 200 people from players to band members so the outfit can make it to the frozen tundra.

Coach Jim Leavitt got word Sunday afternoon they were heading to the International Bowl in Toronto and had to have his team's applications out by Thursday at the latest in order to cross the border.

That hiccup meant the U.S. passport office at the Hillsborough County courthouse was one busy location Wednesday and Thursday while clerk's office officials processed 178 passport applications for USF players, coaches, cheerleaders and band members. From Tampa the passports go to the Miami passport office for final processing.

However, in this case, due to the volume and backlog in Miami, the south Florida office will send them to New Hampshire for help.

"It's not a normal situation and it's the first time that we're going," said Chris Freet, USF assistant director of athletics. "We tried our best to be as thorough as possible and we hope that nothing gets turned around in Miami."

The average turnaround time to process a passport is eight weeks, Circuit Court Clerk Pat Frank said. Expedited passports can take up to four weeks to process.

"I just hope they get their passports and win that game," said Frank, who helped quarterback the processing of passports. "We were so happy to do it. They're excited and nervous. When you take off the padding, they really looked liked fragile kids."

With applications in town, clerk's office officials attended a USF team meeting on Tuesday to get the ball rolling. USF Players were then bused downtown on Wednesday to have their photos taken and provide documents, with a second batch of students sent through on Thursday. Finally the applications were hand delivered the Post Office at the airport to be overnighted to Miami for official processing.

Although the applications are in the mail, there is no guarantee that the players will have them in time, Frank said.

"We're not showing favoritism, we're doing customer service," said Frank, and added that her office has never processed the volume of passports they did over the last two days. "This is a unique situation and if its legal and we can help, that's what we'll do."

The Bulls made their first bowl trip in 2005, losing to N.C. State in the Meineke Car Care Bowl in their first season in the Big East. USF has been to a bowl every year since, winning 41-14 against Memphis in the St. Petersburg Bowl last season.

UConn defeated Buffalo in last season's game, which drew a bowl-record 40,184.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/dec/11/111452/clock-ticking-bulls-bid-get-passports-time-interna/news-breaking/

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

:Duh

I wish we had just went to the St. Pete Bowl... not only could I had gone but this would not be an issue. For our honeymoon we ordered ours 4 months out and expedited them and it took a two months...

I'm calling it now that some where between 40 and 60 Bulls will get left behind out of that number of 200.

• Content Count:  2,495

I called the Miami office and told them to take their time with Chico's passport.  ;)

• Content Count:  2,307
  • Days Won:  0

They got them expedited, they'll all get them in time.

I asked for regular processing since it's taking about 3 weeks to finish the process and receive it at home.  I put in my application Dec 4th, it's already been received and it's being processed as of earlier this week.  I'm giving them till tuesday, and if it's not done then i'll get it expedited and mailed out ASAP to my house.

• Content Count:  2,484

:Duh

I wish we had just went to the St. Pete Bowl...

Did USF get invited to the St Pete Bowl and turned it down?? I'm confused...or do people not understand we get INVITED to bowl games not OUR CHOICE of bowl games

• Content Count:  2,277

They got them expedited, they'll all get them in time.

I asked for regular processing since it's taking about 3 weeks to finish the process and receive it at home.  I put in my application Dec 4th, it's already been received and it's being processed as of earlier this week.  I'm giving them till tuesday, and if it's not done then i'll get it expedited and mailed out ASAP to my house.

Not sure if you can expedite it mid-process.  That's something you pay for up front.  I may be wrong though.

Guest Scherdin

I'm sure we will get a little special treatment at least with the players and coaches, this could be a huge embarrassment to the BE and USF if we can't get all the players a passport.

• Content Count:  901

how would it be an embarassment to the be and usf? mean on the field? besides you needn't worry, every little thing gonna be alright

Guest Scherdin

how would it be an embarassment to the be and usf? mean on the field? besides you needn't worry, every little thing gonna be alright

It took me 6 wks to get mine expedited, they are saying possibly 4 wks, that's too late for this game.  So for ***** and giggles what if Daniels or some other playmaker(s) doesn't get theirs in time.  Get Landi ready; that would be embarrassing when the media (ESPN since they love bashing us) finds out, that the BE and the bowl committee decided to bring a team from FL all the way up to Canada and didn't think about getting passports for every player in time.

I agree with you, I'm not worried that we will have all the important people there.  But if I was a cheerleader or HOT member, I wouldn't be booking any sight seeing trips just yet.

Archived