• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If your not going to make it to the bowl game.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

Try to buy a ticket anyway. USF doesn't need to waste some of the bowl earnings on paying for unused tickets.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Try to buy a ticket anyway. USF doesn't need to waste some of the bowl earnings on paying for unused tickets.

tell Leavitt and the coaches to use the $100k bonus for making a bowl to buy those tickets.

that's 2,500 tickets right there.

I'm not sure they earned a bonus this year.

• Content Count:  7,890

Doesn't the bowl money get pooled? Wouldn't the money come from the pool? Anyway, for those that wanted the Papajohns.com bowl, I think this one pays at least double or triple.

Yes the money gets pooled but money that USF doesn't have to pay is money earned.

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Doesn't the bowl money get pooled? Wouldn't the money come from the pool? Anyway, for those that wanted the Papajohns.com bowl, I think this one pays at least double  or triple.

it all gets pooled, he's a response from BB over on ESPN:

Chris from Chandler, Ariz., writes: As a Cincinnati fan I am obviously concerned that our coach is thinking about (and probably is) leaving. I am just wondering kind of impact making it to a second BCS game is going to have on Kelly's decision. Also, do the millions of dollars UC gets for making the Sugar Bowl get put back into the football program to help to improvements that are supposed to be coming?

Brian Bennett: At the very least, Brian Kelly knows he can make the BCS and get into the national title discussion at Cincinnati. Of course, that might only embolden him to dream of what he could do with Notre Dame's resources. As for the money, it's really a myth that Big East schools make big profits off BCS games. Revenue from all the bowl games is split evenly among the conference teams, and the Big East helps schools cover travel expenses. Cincinnati isn't going to end up with any more significant windfall than if it were playing in a lesser game.

So if I'm reading this right, it doesn't matter what bowl we go to, we still get the same money.

• Content Count:  81

tell Leavitt and the coaches to use the $100k bonus for making a bowl to buy those tickets.

that's 2,500 tickets right there.

I'm not sure they earned a bonus this year.

Right on!

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Doesn't the bowl money get pooled? Wouldn't the money come from the pool? Anyway, for those that wanted the Papajohns.com bowl, I think this one pays at least double  or triple.

it all gets pooled, he's a response from BB over on ESPN:

Chris from Chandler, Ariz., writes: As a Cincinnati fan I am obviously concerned that our coach is thinking about (and probably is) leaving. I am just wondering kind of impact making it to a second BCS game is going to have on Kelly's decision. Also, do the millions of dollars UC gets for making the Sugar Bowl get put back into the football program to help to improvements that are supposed to be coming?

Brian Bennett: At the very least, Brian Kelly knows he can make the BCS and get into the national title discussion at Cincinnati. Of course, that might only embolden him to dream of what he could do with Notre Dame's resources. As for the money, it's really a myth that Big East schools make big profits off BCS games. Revenue from all the bowl games is split evenly among the conference teams, and the Big East helps schools cover travel expenses. Cincinnati isn't going to end up with any more significant windfall than if it were playing in a lesser game.

So if I'm reading this right, it doesn't matter what bowl we go to, we still get the same money.

He's right about the big profits. WVU lost money when they went to the Fiesta bowl. I'm not sure he is right on the split though. This article is from 2006 so it might have changed but the BE did payout on a tired basis. from usa today:

The Big East pays schools that make a bowl game on a tiered basis, with a BCS game worth $2.4 million, the second bowl $1.6 million, the third $1.3 million and the fourth and fifth $1.1 million. "We just take all our bowl money, put it together, and we distribute it fairly," said associate commissioner Nick Carparelli, adding that the league wants to make sure schools can cover their expenses.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-12-06-bowl-payouts_x.htm

• Content Count:  277

Hmmm, I pay good money for tickets to a game I am not going to or I let the school do it.  Not exactly the toughest of decisions here.

Guest nybullsfan

Hmmm, I pay good money for tickets to a game I am not going to or I let the school do it.  Not exactly the toughest of decisions here.

or buy some and donate them to the boys and girls club and really make some kids' day

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

or buy some and donate them to the boys and girls club and really make some kids' day

You think those tickets really make a little kids day?  I doubt it.  Maybe I just led a spoiled childhood.

Either way, USF has to buy the tickets they don't sell so buying a ticket is ~ donating to the school.  Except that school donations are tax deductible, so I think I'll pass on the unneeded ticket purchase.

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

The payout to USF is $1-million for the bowl -- same payout as Birmingham, Toronto and Charlotte -- plus a second check to help defray travel costs. The Big East gives the schools about $200 a mile toward travel cost -- USF is about 1,350 miles from Toronto, so that works out to about $270,000, but travel costs should be much higher than that.

USF will essentially be buying all the tickets that aren't sold, so buying a ticket (even if you don't use it) is essentially giving USF athletics $40.

Archived