• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does recruiting seem down compared to last year?

usf97

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I am not a recruiting guru by any means but it seemed like at this point last year we were in the mix for some bigger names. We still have Mitchell on the board and we definitely need a top flight CB but what other big name people are we still in play for?

Last year we had JPP, J. Williams, Barrington, K Webster, Giddens, Battles, Sterling Griffen, L Lamar, Forte, and others. I don't recall when all of them signed but we were in play with all of them in December.

I know we have less schollies but I look at this class coming up and I don't see the same excitement. Carnes is big, then A Bellamy (again), Claude Davis, RB's Shaw and Powell (we seem to be pretty deep at RB considering we only give them like 10-20 carries a game), J Green and that kicker. I saw Ash committed to UWV so who else are we looking at? Is this going to be a lackluster class? 

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

recruiting wont heat up until Janurary, and were only going to be able to bring (I think) about 17 new recruits in this year because we have so many young players who signed in the last 2 years.

So yeah, it will probably be a lil down this year.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

This weekend should have some guys visiting for the football banquet.  Between now and signing day things should be pretty active.

But you are right, things are a little slower.  Function of having a relatively small class and already having about 10 guys on board. 

In addition to Terrence Mitchell, there's the Miami Central trio of Gainer, Godfrey and Reese (most important to me is Reese), Jeremy Deering and some other kids we're trying to "flip" like we did with george baker, Steve Jacques and Kayvon Webster the last two years.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

This weekend should have some guys visiting for the football banquet.  Between now and signing day things should be pretty active.

But you are right, things are a little slower.  Function of having a relatively small class and already having about 10 guys on board. 

In addition to Terrence Mitchell, there's the Miami Central trio of Gainer, Godfrey and Reese (most important to me is Reese), Jeremy Deering and some other kids we're trying to "flip" like we did with george baker, Steve Jacques and Kayvon Webster the last two years.

Sounds good. I think my immediate concern and this is generally the hardest position to find quality recruits in is DT and OL. I know we may land Greg Hickman with TBT but even so, he is still pretty small right now. I doubt he would make an immediate impact. OL, I know we picked up J Green and Kibler. Don't know if that big kid Jake Kaufman is still looking at us. I think Willie Bowles out of Pahokee is trying to hook up with us.

Do you see us signing 2 QB's and if Godfrey doesn't work out do you think we will still sign Tarean Austin? I know we love to offer these dual threat QB's the propect of playing QB and then move them to another position if it doesn't work out.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

If we sign 2 QBs the first two will be Carnes and Godfrey.  If we strike out on Godfrey I personally would not mind either Taurean Austin or CJ Bennet.  Austin fits the system more, but I read lots of good things about Bennet.

As for OL, the problem is at tackle.  We have lots of interior linemen but little in the way of true tackles.  These take time to develop and they have to have the right frame.  BCS quality tackles are 6'5"+.  The only true tackles on the team are Mark Popek (playing this year, even though he needed another year to develop) and Damien Edwards (needs to get and stay in shape).  A true immediate impact tackle would have to come from juco.  In the absence of that, expect to see Danous Estenor (if he's recovered from the knee injury) and Jake Sims (the staff likes him way more than I do) also in at tackle.

• Content Count:  403

Funny you should start this post.  I was thinking the same thing..  Even the "Prospects & Potential Recruits" section of this message board seems very slow this year. 

You'd think that after a year like we've had, that everyone would be on this side of the board screaming for more talent.  Or, maye people see us as a young team and are hoping for more out of our current roster than our current recruiting class.

I'm keeping an eye on Mitchell.  Would love to see him come here. 

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

We usually do most of our recruiting "damage" in January so just settle down things will pick up over the next few weeks. 

• Content Count:  1,251

i have been thinking the same thing too.....that would suck if we go backwards in recruiting this year.....im really scared we will

Archived