• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is anyone else sick of this "heart" conversation?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

"Oh, they had heart this game, but no heart that game, but the one before that, yeah, I think they had heart."

I swear I wonder how many people that type that "heart" argument ever competed at such a level.

They had no more heart today than they had vs. Miami.  It's football.  They are competitors not whiny little Daddies' boys banging away on their chic MacBook.

In my playing days, a loss was never attributed to not having heart, but that seems to be the new thing those living the soft life like to say about guys in the trenches grinding it out.

No need to comment...I've just had that bottled up for a few weeks and thought I'd give you my opinion on this silly heart insult.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  108
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe heart is used loosely as a synonym for passion and desire. And although that is not the definitive factor to whether a team losses or how they execute it is definitely a factor in parts of the game. I would say that B.J. Daniels last TD run was a lot of determination and passion to get into the endzone...because with the blitz coming at him and 2 or 3 other guys with a shot at him..he just wanted to get in and used his physical ability to get in. We all who have watched through the season have seen a difference in certain plays like that and others where it seems the players don't play with as much passion and desire. Just look at the differences between the Florida State game and almost every other game. They were flying to the ball more in that game than all season because they were jacked up to play. Although it is not a deciding factor, it does play a part.

• Content Count:  12,293

brad...i guess you are excluding aj love from that conversation then?

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I don't know Brad. It seemed they were flat and sleep walking through a lot of games.

Maybe not playing with emotion or fire is a better way to say it.

B.J. has raw athletic ability.  I can't think of one time where he didn't have the heart to use it.  Sometimes he didn't use it correctly or to the right result.  But I can't say I look at him or anyone else and think they simply took the play or game off.

Teams do a lot of things to affect the opponent mentally.  When you are intimidated or beaten in different ways, it's not an absence of "heart".  When a team comes out and punches you in the gut it's not a lack of heart.  It may impact the way you play, but it shouldn't be read as "so and so didn't show up".  It's not as easy as some think and I also believe those that have played sports at a higher level have experience such a game where you were simply shut down.  You wanted to win as much as the ever, get your points, etc. but you were well gameplanned and taken out. 

I think saying a guy that has spent most of his life getting to where he is now has not heart when he fails, is a cop out for a fan.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

i didn't think the players had any lack of heart in this game...

we played hard and we were competitive.

it was clear our team tried as hard as we could.

we just lost... odds were against us and we didn't overcome it.

• Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

Heart, moxie, swagger, confidence, desire, whatever you want to have it. . . . it was there tonight, but it sure as heck hasn't been there every game this season. Several games we just played flat, like we were going through the motions. This game didn't feel that way. Not sure how to explain it, really. But it looked different.

My original post is speaking to the claim that the team showed no heart.  As if in unison, these guys took the game off. 

To A.J. Love, I did make a comment in early October regarding his play: "A.J. Love:  I believes lack effort, heart and intensity."

Key words "I believe" not an accusation or statement of fact and that HE himself, not the entire team.

That comment was made several weeks back...I would like to say that A.J. had several great games after that comment, and I am glad I made no definitive statement about him and my belief was incorrect.

• Content Count:  498

Heart, moxie, swagger, confidence, desire, whatever you want to have it. . . . it was there tonight, but it sure as heck hasn't been there every game this season. Several games we just played flat, like we were going through the motions. This game didn't feel that way. Not sure how to explain it, really. But it looked different.

I agree, something felt different, better.  It must have been something with the offense because the defense was crud.  Maybe it was having a nice mixture of some passing and running.  Maybe having ford in the game gave it a better feel.  He and BJ had great games.  Hopefully it will be signs of things to come for next season.

Why dont they play the toro loco deal if they have landi playing WR so much? or use his QB abilities in some way for trickery?

• Content Count:  12,293

My original post is speaking to the claim that the team showed no heart.  As if in unison, these guys took the game off. 

To A.J. Love, I did make a comment in early October regarding his play: "A.J. Love:  I believes lack effort, heart and intensity."

Key words "I believe" not an accusation or statement of fact and that HE himself, not the entire team.

That comment was made several weeks back...I would like to say that A.J. had several great games after that comment, and I am glad I made no definitive statement about him and my belief was incorrect.

geez...you sound like you are under oath...you sure you arent smazza in disguse?

a simple LOL would of done the job.  ???

Archived