• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defense..

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

twillybull,

Williams looked loss during that early game against South Carolina. I was wondering why Leavitt had Williams in the game because he was horrible. It turned out that Williams became an awesome player for us, so I trust Leavitt and his staff. Bulliever is right that both Jenkins and Willliams didnt do great as freshmen. He can dig up some posts from that year to prove how down some of the usual USF critics were about Williams and Jenkins. I love being a long time Bull fan as you see the same critics every year.

As a freshman, Jenkins was known for that hit on the kid from Tennessee Tech as I recall, NOT playing a shutdown corner as he later came to be known for.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

It was so frustrating for me to see our kick offs this year.  It's not hard to limit coverage to 10 or 20 yds when the kicks only went to the 20 to start with.  We have to do better on this in the future.  The Miami game also brought home just how much difference a great punter can make.  Special teams should be made an equal priority or at least close to the offense and defense.

As for defense, before the season started for some reason I thought Tresey was aggressive and relentless with pressuring the qb, but that didn't happen.  We sent the linemen and then sat back in coverage, but the qb usually had time to throw and the receiver was usually open.  If we weren't going to cover, you may as well send a guy on a blitz.  I think the best way to stop any qb is to put the heat on.

Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

twillybull,

Williams looked loss during that early game against South Carolina. I was wondering why Leavitt had Williams in the game because he was horrible. It turned out that Williams became an awesome player for us, so I trust Leavitt and his staff. Bulliever is right that both Jenkins and Willliams didnt do great as freshmen. He can dig up some posts from that year to prove how down some of the usual USF critics were about Williams and Jenkins. I love being a long time Bull fan as you see the same critics every year.

As a freshman, Jenkins was known for that hit on the kid from Tennessee Tech as I recall, NOT playing a shutdown corner as he later came to be known for.

I thought it was Javon Camon that put the hit on that TTU receiver.  ???

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

As freshmen, Jenks and Williams really didn't play the schedule that our young guys are playing now.

As for kickoffs...I swear, Alvarado had 2-3 touchbacks in the WKU game, then the next week we made a kicking change (needed), and put Schwartz on kickoffs. I don't know why Schwartz took over the kickoff duties, he did a great job on FGs, but Delbert was coming along on KOs.

As for defensive issues this season...

1. Field position - as mentioned, special teams were not good. Also, how many times did we punt from inside the 30 or so. Our offense wasn't able to move the ball consistently and we had a lot of 3-and-outs, leading to...

2. Time of possession, our defense was on the field way too much this year.

3. Because our DBs were so young, I think Tresey/CJL made a decision to give up the underneath stuff a little to try and defend the big play. I don't know if it was the right decision or not, but I think it was a conscious decision and we were going to have to live with the consequences.

Archived