• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Comments from coaches?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  185
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry, don't ,mean to use you as an example but I like your questions and they are similar to what I am thinking.

My expectations:

-Anywhere from 10-2 to 8-4 is acceptable in my book (could still be met this season).

I remember in the beginning of the season most bulls fans were expecting an 8-4 season and a lot were thinking worse b/c of the o-line. This is still achievable plus beating both FSU and UM. Which to me would be a good year, not great or amazing but good. Just look at them, what do you think there fans are feeling right now.

-Don't lose ANY game by more than 20 points (hasn't been met in 2 years). Losing by 30+ points to any team on our schedule is unacceptable. This one I could not agree more on. I think when a team gets blown out that bad you have to look at the coaches. **** anyone that played high school ball in Florida would know that when you are playing a team that should beat up on you pretty bad, your coaches are gonna have a decent game plan for your team and pull out all the tricks. Hence, Rutgers and the special teams, turnovers, and offensive and defensive schemes. They did not play conservative at all, but have they ever when they have played us? We need to counter teams like that, even though we talk all week about it. The only lose I can take being as it was, was the Pitt loss. They are the real deal from top to bottom. Cinci maybe, you can give them an exception b/c we weren't expecting the QB change and were holding on pretty good before it.

-Give me ONE year where we finish at least 5-2 in the big east (never been done in 5 years of BE play).

This to me is the million dollar question. The talent we have, should for sure win at least one BE championship, on talent alone. But in college, and I know some other college players can agree on this, even if you have the best players doesn't guarantee a win, **** even in HS ball in Florida big time upsets happen. Usually those upsets are v/c the stout team is playing a team with no worries and they are playing sound ball and getting the other team to break down. Me personally I used to love playing teams like that, were you knew you could get into there heads and they would make mistakes. That is what I have noticed with our team the past few years. I think that goes on the players and not the coach, since it's just one of those things you know your gonna get when you get a player like that. But my big thing with this response is that we really need to realize the state of the BE. We are in a conference that is only gonna get better, trust me! Louisville has the money and resources to pull in a stud coach, Syracuse is not gonna be a bottom feeder forever, that is a fact! They have to much to offer and will eventually get it going. If the other teams stay constant, they all could be anywhere in the top 25. UCONN is the variable, but with a coach like Edsall he will always make the best with what he has, and god forbid kids realize they have a better shot at going pro at UCONN than any other northeast school. His track record would be a very good topic just to show what he has done compared to ANY other D-1 school out there in developing talent, and I don't count kids that are 4 star studs. Since there really isn't much developing and more honing of skills. To make a long story short, I'm a huge Bulls Fan but I'm a realist as well and now we are the team that is going to be sliding here in a couple years in the conference. IT"S NOT GOING TO GET ANY EASIER THAN THIS YEAR FOR US!

-Show consistency and improvement on offense.

This has bothered me as well, especially is you got to see the bulls play in Marquel's days. EXCITING! Even fisher was, but we new he wasn't the future. Now Daniels, the kid is a FRESHMAN! He might act like **** don't phase him but it does. It was evident when he got into an argument with his teammate. I'm not gonna bash him for that, b/c I grew up to Marino and he was a di*k to his fellow teammates. I think BJ was just frustrated and never had to deal with something like that. But my big question is, is it BJ or is it Canales? Who knows, the play calling sucks but a QB in our offense runs the game so no matter what the call the QB has the final say. To me it looks like daniels just wants to make plays, but is still learning. He also hasn't had the best support with dropped balls, which can build confidence and keep drives going, which are huge for a freshman to build him up. Anyone that has played football, even at the high school level in Florida at class 4a or above as a freshman or sophomore knows how important confidence is. In the beginning everyone is beating you down, the older players that you are taking there spot or seniors on other teams that remember what it was like to be that young playing. Your gonna have ups and downs and that is important b/c if you don't you will eventually. Personally, I think BJ is gonna be the next Charlie Ward. The kid has a cannon like no other, his accuracy to me is on point except when he gets excited or pressured, but is learning. Why do you think his longest plays are bombs, b/c he can throw it up and let the WR do the rest. As for scrambling, that scares me, b/c I don't see him learning but that could be b/c of play calling. I don't know if any of you all saw this, but the last game there was a play that you could see he was pissed they were running. What happened nothing. So we have to give Canales another year before we can make any decisions. Play calling in my eyes has been horrible, but there could be things we don't know about and probably are. My personal feeling is more like a BK, and you play with what you have and adapt your system to your players. We have Mike Ford and I know if he got 30 carries a game ha would be a dominate force and open up the pass and QB scramble. The most shocking thing to me on offense besides wasting Jamar for a year is what is the deal with Bogan? He looked like he was going to be unstoppable and even talked like it. That to me is very weird, b/c when a player talks like he did, you are usually dominating in practice and anything you do, and he did in the spring game. But haven't heard anything since.

Again, nothing against you just like your questions and felt the same way. But something we really need to realize is that the BE is only gonna get stronger, and if the coaches stay REALLY strong. Even with our talented players I don't know if it will be enough. But as far as this year goes, it has been decent compared to what most expected with how young we are. And we are very young. Selvie, I love him as a player and person but he might be the fourth best DE on the team. I hope they realize that we have to change to accommodate the personnel we have and not try to play how you want to with inadequate players for a scheme like that. Also with the talent we have at skill positions, if we don't start using them correctly, no one will want to play for us. Only position I think we need to change how we recruit is DB. The DB's we have are good, but good at certain things and not every down DB's. Last but not least Jerome Murphy, has made some horrible mistakes but the kid still has boatloads of talent and light years ahead of our next best option. Also where had Nate Allen been. It's his year to shine, even with corners that aren't top notch, being a senior that could be one of the best in the country. He should have at least made some big time plays.

Don't give up, there is no one thing that is the answer. It is a multitude of things. I just hope we can survive the upcoming years b/c they are gonna be a lot tougher than they are now!

But who knows, I don't have high expectations for B-ball this year, but really feel they can turn some heads. Hopefully they surprise us and give us Bulls fans something else to look forward to. Sorry B-ball fans that have been following from the beginning, when I was at USF B-Balll had high expectations and didn't show up and that was when Altron and BB were seniors(although they were very talented and fun to watch). They really let me down against Memphis with that true fresh, can't remember his name but he was the real deal.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,890

some of you need to remember these are 18-21 year old college students.

Although this is generally a true statement, I think it is fair to say that the players on the teams USF face tend to fall within the same age bracket.  No sure what your point is with this statement.

some of you need to remember these are 18-21 year old college students.

okay so you are telling me they haven't dealt with this type of stuff for their entire life?

next time someone disagrees with and criticizes my post i'm going to tell them i'm a 21 year old college student and that it is wrong to do that.

I guess i don't feel bad because I am in their age range.

you missed the point the original post asked why he players aren't be asked by the media about the loses.

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

I hear from someone very close to the team that Leavitt blew up on his special teams coach at halftime as the coach was trying to show Leavitt a problem with punt coverage. Leavitt supposably  slapped the white board out of his hand and they got in each others face. I also hear Tresey and Canales want out because of Leavitt. This is from a very credible source.

I thought the rule of thumb was that if you don't have a picture, it didn't happen?  ;)

• Content Count:  2,052

Greg, I happen to agree with a lot on here with the discipline issue? Has this ever been a approachable subject with Coach? Questions like Why are you allowing players to yell back at coaches on the sidelines when the coaches are trying to instruct? Why are players continually showing a lack of discipline mouthing off in the media? Why are their shirts not tucked in? Why is this Me mentality always shown instead of a team mentality. (ie the prancing and pimping done after plays, before games etc.?) These are all signs of an undisciplined team. It has for years, and the results show. When times are good, their heads swell; and when times are bad, they quit. These are my questions. Can you ask them?

Archived