• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I'm losing faith in this program

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,077
  • Days Won:  39

I don't see the player talent as being the problem with the team.  The problem last night other than turnovers was offense coaching against the blitz.   There were no traps,  no quick slants and no really use of the tight end.   There are always hot reads against the blitz and Canales either did not have hot reads for BJ or BJ did not execute. Either way,  Canales needs to do a better job prepping the offense and BJ needs to learn from this mess.

See, here I disagree. Go back and watch the tapes. A second or 2 before BJ gets sacked, or tucks and runs, there are guys waving their arms at him on those quick slants that you speak of. The plays were there, but the Freshman QB didn't pick them up.

I did notice this in some replays in the game.  The announcers weren't pointing out some of the times where you saw multiple people open right in front of the screen. 

You also have to ask from a strategy standpoint...  If you have this young QB, or any QB for that matter, isn't it typically better to line up and run the ball in these tough games on the road especially when weather is a factor?  I am assuming we can't or they would (maybe the telegraphed Ford runs in the RU game are an example of that).  By run the ball I don't mean fake handoff to RB "X" and watch the QB get run down quickly and tackled for 4 QTRs. 

All I am saying is that no run game has to make it a lot harder on the QB, especially a first year starter.  I am assuming we are not going to have one or they would have implemented one already, so I guess sit back and watch the games and hope they get something figured out for next year.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,701
  • Days Won:  108

I am also losing faith in CJL, we feel like a C-USA team, surprise people and win a few, surprise people and lose a few. I wouldn't be surprised if we still beat Miami which I don't think changes anything. As had been said in the past, our team has a very emotional, undisciplined personality and it has been that way since it's inception. The problem I see, is even if we wanted to fire CJL, we can't due to money.

Look at the following article prior to is conract extension in 08'. His contract is through 2014.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/feb/05/sp-usf-revises-leavitts-new-contract-offer/sports-colleges-bulls/

Notice this clause:

[b]If fired without cause - such as poor performance - Leavitt would receive the following: $4.2 million (2008), $3.75 million (2009), $3.2 million (2010), $2.55 million (2011), $1.8 million (2012), $950,000 (2013 and 2014).

I have found nothing after the contract was signed that actually outlines what was accepted. But this is the only option I see proposed that matches the years of his contract. There is no way we are going to dole out 3.2 million next year and millions over the next 5 years and then on top of that hire a new coaching staff. For better or for worse, CJL is our man for at least 3 to 5 years more years.

Those can't be per year amounts can they?  His salary isn't that much per year.  I'm guessing those are buy out numbers after each year.  Greg, can you shed some light on this?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

We ae a good program.

Still think Leavitt can make this a great program.

The grass isn't always greener with a coaching change.

Last thing on my mind is changing coaches and setting our program BACK !

And some need to realize the facts. Leavitt isn't gonna quit on this program HE BUILT! USF doesn't have the fan base that wants a change to buy Leavitt out.

Just keep cheering on the team and boo the coaches here.

Archived