• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Which was worse on Saturday?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880
  • Days Won:  0

Which was worse....

Was it the decision to go away from our running game and throw every pass 30+ yards downfield?

or

Was it our defensive coaches inability to make any changes to put pressure on their QB?

The issues with the offensive staff have been well documented here, so I won't go on any further about that.  

I know that our defense is young, but our coaching staff did not seem to make any adjustments to slow down their passing game.  We had no pressure on the QB, and I don't know if that was supposed to be a "prevent" type of defense at the end of the first half, but whatever it was it sucked.  I've been probably more disappointed with this year's defense more than any other aspect of the team.  

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

You know you got problems when Verpale starts as a freshman.  He may be good in another year but he sure hasn't got it now.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'd say the running game.  It would have kept UC's offense off the field more.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

SC I said that in an earlier post when Bien was trying to explain how our defense was going to try to stop Cini offense and I said it wasn't because no one else has..  Ball control offense was how we would stop them and clearly running the ball is how you do that.  I have one question for someone who watched the game.  Did Cinci put 11 in the box or what happened.  Clearly we were having success running the ball and then nothing ?  I was at work and didn't get to see the game.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

No, it didn't seem like they really did more than 7 - 8 in the box.  Which, then it would have seemed logical to put the ball in the air.  With that many up front, some slants or post patterns would have worked.  For some reason Hobbie decided we needed every pass to be 30+ yards.  

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

How about the inability of ALL coaches to

1. Prepare the team for this game

2. Stay with a tried and true gameplan

3. Adjust when things are going wrong

4. Stop pointing fingers and get the job done. No excuses, no well we's... JUST GET THE JOB DONE!!!

If we are that young or that bad, work with what you have and stay with what works.

The D backs coach should have his butt whipped, telling the recievers to play 10 yds off the recievers.

The OC... well we've been here before

It seems that CJL is a different man this season. He doesn't seem the same. He looks to be putting more responsibility on the other coaches. I guess he can't do it all.  But he needs the support. Both from his coaches and us!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

reaper is sooooooooooo right

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719

He looks to be putting more responsibility on the other coaches. I guess he can't do it all.  But he needs the support. Both from his coaches and us!

You're right Rebe.  But if he is counting on his coaches then he better get a quality supporting staff.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

I think the USF defense TRIED to pressure Guidugli, they just weren't able to.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

How about the inability of ALL coaches to

2. Stay with a tried and true gameplan

3. Adjust when things are going wrong

Rebe -- You're right about most of the problems with the team... but you can not stick with a gameplan AND make adjustments... Either one or the other..

The problem is that their running game was too successful... it looked like the coaches didn't want to run again because Cincy was starting to key on the run first... so they adjusted, but not enough...

Hobbie needs to learn that in college, there is something called a "play action"... you fake a hand-off, freezing the DB's and the DL's... giving your QB a little more time and your WR's a little more space... (definition provided for the edification of Coach Hobbie - who doesn't seem to get it).