• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BCS Bowl Scenario

Doc

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Not happening. I went to that Orange Bowl matchup last January, there were maybe 25,000 people there...Maybe.

If the Orange Bowl comes down to it they're taking a team that doesn't do that again. So if a 2 loss Iowa is there they'll take them over an at large BE squad. Champ or not. The Big East/ACC matchup has screwed them twice.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim,

it's top 14 now, including ND I believe. They changed it when they added a bowl

Joe - Yes. Top 14... or Top 18 if they have to expand lower... (did some further checking which is why I deleted my post)

I also took another look at the current BCS standings... and I can't see any scenario where two conferences dominate the at large pool.

The SEC, Big Ten, and Pac 10 will all realistically have two teams in the Top 14... add in Boise, TCU, and maybe Notre Dame and that makes it virtually impossible for USF to get in...

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

I don't see a BCS bowl taking us as an at-large unless they are forced to do so. This could happen IF

We finish in the Top 14, with 9 or more wins

Then, assume the six automatics are among the 13 other top 14 eligible schools

Three spots go to other eligible schools (take your pick of 2nd SEC, BigTen, non-BCS automatics, etc)

This leaves five schools plus USF in the pool; the other five would have to either be from a conference with two teams already selected (like an LSU), or have less than 9 wins and thus ineligible.  This scenario does not require that Cincy plays for a National Championship.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Not happening. I went to that Orange Bowl matchup last January, there were maybe 25,000 people there...Maybe.

If the Orange Bowl comes down to it they're taking a team that doesn't do that again. So if a 2 loss Iowa is there they'll take them over an at large BE squad. Champ or not. The Big East/ACC matchup has screwed them twice.

While I agree generally with you, UC screwed them, USF did not.  USF would bring far more, and they know it.

• Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

While I agree generally with you, UC screwed them, USF did not.  USF would bring far more, and they know it.

Hear hear...

and correct me if im wrong...but didn't VTech play Kansas the year before last?

The Big East didn't screw the Orange Bowl 2yrs in a row.  The fiesta bowl took WVU in 07...who would've traveled GREAT to Miami.

Teams like USF, WVU, 'Cuse, and even UofL would ALL travel GREAT to Miami.

Cincy is just a smaller school with a REALLY small fan base.  They barely get 35k + to home games!!!

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  1,204

Not a chance will they take Iowa over USF is USF is available.  Greater Tampa Bay has more people living in it than the whole state of Iowa and we're a lot closer.  We've also got about 12,000 more students and those students are much more in reach in a bad economy.

I doubt the Orange Bowl passes on a Georgia Tech - USF matchup if we can win out and climb back into the top 14. 

As for Cincy, half their grads probably like Ohio State more than their own alma mater - at least until now.  I'm from Ohio originally and almost everyone up there has been brainwashed into thinking that they have to root for Ohio State even above their own lesser school.  Cincy is rewriting that this year to a point and if Cincinnati goes BCS and the Buckeyes don't I expect some Buckeye bandwagon jumping, especially if the Bearcats can eek into the NCG. 

But GT-USF will be sold out and more appealing than GT-Boise State/TCU.  Notre Dame wins out and gets into the top 14 then it's different.  But if we scrape out way up, especially if we beat the Canes then we will get the eyes of the Orange Bowl Committee.  14K or so fans at Tallahassee is telling, especially since USF had to ask for more tickets.  USF would likely get a 25,000 ticket allotment.  Iowa sold out their allotment when they went to the Orange Bowl last as well, though in better economic times.

After last year the Orange Bowl will want a sure thing and I'd bet they think USF would be a pretty sure bet. 

But we have to get to 10-2 for that to even be a possibility.

Bulls_8va,

I was receding to 2007 when UL went there, the school struugles to sell out their allotment. Also Cuse traveled very ery poorly there in 1998.

Mphisto,

Iowa sent almost 50,000 fans in 2002. Trust me the Orange Bowl remembers them.

• Content Count:  4,738

maybe we should be discussing if we have a chance to beat Rutgers

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I don't se Boise State losing, but TCU does have to play Utah which could be a tough game. If TCU loses, how do you see the BCS landscape changing from what has been discussed so far?  All discussion here has assumed Boise and TCU both remain undefeated.

Personally I don't see BCS for this year. I think Pitt and UC get BCS games and we get Gator or Meineke.

Archived