• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt: In all fairness...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Yeah thanks for the help...I was about to warn myself.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could be the board ombudsman...kind of keep an eye on me and the other moderators when they return to the board next spring.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

You could be the board ombudsman...kind of keep an eye on me and the other moderators when they return to the board next spring.

whatever floats your boat, I'm here for you man.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Interesting that there are 3 BE teams with Freshman QBs starting right now.  UCONN, Rutgers and USF.  All three (!-2, 0-2, 1-2 respectively) are struggling with in conference play.  Losing Grothe hurt this team a lot more than the people that thought Daniels would come in and be a dominant QB.  The defenses in this league and the Defensive coordinators are too good to think you will go undefeated with a freshman QB.  Our supporting cast is not good enough to carry the team.  Because of injuries Leavitt should get a year's pass before any firing, but we certainly need to start showing marked improvement.  There can no more excuses with the "alleged" talent we have been recruiting.  I say that because for the last 3 years we have been hearing that we are getting superior athletes from what we were getting before, but from the 2007 class only Genus and McClain are making any significant contributions  Bogan, eh and Ford is ....well who knows...Other than Nate Allen I don't see anyone as a real playmaker on either side of the ball.

As far as Leavitt goes we need to start winning something, not just make a splash once in a while with a big game and then fade away.  Where is the player development?  I am really not seeing what everyone else is talking about where we find the diamonds in the rough.  Yeah, maybe we did when we were in 1aa and CUSA.  We are in a different league now.  We either need to be better  at recruiting or get better at player development.  One problem I see is that we are still using the same formula we did when we were in 1aa.  Personally, I don't think we can build a championship simply recruiting within the state of Florida unless we start getting more of the BEST athletes and football players to stay home.  I also don't believe this idea of putting the ball in the hands of the best athlete for 90% of the plays will work at this level.  There is not a team out there that I can think of where it has created a winning team at the BCS level.  I think it has to be more a philosophy acknowledging and changing to our new competitive environment rather than just doing the same thing we did back in the 1aa days.  

sure give leavitt another pass

doesnt matter usf will not finish better than 4-3 in conference nextyear or year after

I don't think anyone is unclear about where you have stood for 10+ years.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I would give Leavitt 4 more years, as long as we keep having a winning season (ie greater than .500) and get a bowl game.

If we slide back from there, we really need to reexamine. 

I fully expect us to have more top 25 recruiting classes and we should be able to finish a season with at least 10 wins and a bowl game, even if we come in second in the BE. 

If it takes us more than 4 - 5 years to get there, it may be too long for him.

But I am sticking with CJL for now and am a fan of his - he made all of what we expect now become a reality. 

Oh yea, in a new flash someone pissed in Smazza's wheaties again today (for the 2000th consecutive day).  lol.  hahaha... 

Archived