• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mascot Bull on the field???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  266
  • Days Won:  1

Not sure how it would be a huge expense either?  apart from the initial purchase.  A lot of people put cattle on their land just to save on property tax.  They pretty much take care of themselves.  And there is no way that there isn't someone associated with the school that has cattle and wouldn't be stoked about designating their bull to be the schools "live" mascot.  

We wouldn't even have necessarily to have it at every game, just bring it to the big games like tonight.

It wouldn't cost that much. There are tons of farms near this area. Many of them have bulls on the land. It would be a matter of getting the owner to either donate the bull for the game or charge a fee re: transport, etc...For instance, at U of GA,  "UGA" is a dog that is owned by a private owner and his family has been supplying the dogs to UGA for quite some time. A deal could be worked out for under $1k a game. They could keep it in a trailer or a pen outside the stadium if need be. At least it would be there for the game.

• Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

There was a rancher about 3 years ago that had a calf they were raising to be an on field mascot.  They were temperment training and he agreed to pay for the feed and care.  It was in the paper.  I don't know the story here, they said it would take 3-4 years to have him ready.

• Content Count:  1,238
  • Days Won:  0

Not sure how it would be a huge expense either?  apart from the initial purchase.  A lot of people put cattle on their land just to save on property tax.  They pretty much take care of themselves.  And there is no way that there isn't someone associated with the school that has cattle and wouldn't be stoked about designating their bull to be the schools "live" mascot.  

We wouldn't even have necessarily to have it at every game, just bring it to the big games like tonight.

It wouldn't cost that much. There are tons of farms near this area. Many of them have bulls on the land. It would be a matter of getting the owner to either donate the bull for the game or charge a fee re: transport, etc...For instance, at U of GA,  "UGA" is a dog that is owned by a private owner and his family has been supplying the dogs to UGA for quite some time. A deal could be worked out for under $1k a game. They could keep it in a trailer or a pen outside the stadium if need be. At least it would be there for the game.

I understand the idea of a private owner/trainer. Great idea but you can't compare that puggy mutt (no offense to MUTT) to a full grown BULL. I don't think cost is a great concern here. I believe just as someone stated ealier that the "liability" is the greatest concern for a school. Everyone is afraid of us sue happy americans.

"Oh no!!!" :o

"Miss, what happened?"

"My husband just step'd into a pile of ****!"

"Oh, you can just wash that right off or keep it as a souvenir,Mam', no charge."

"But what about that virus thingy going around?"

"Mam' that's the pig virus. This is 100% all American veggie burger ****."

"Well, we need a new plasma. So we will be sueing anyway. But no hard feelings. We are loyal fans and we aren't sueing the school just the insurance company." ::)

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

I doubt that Texas's Bevo or Colorado's Chip is a bull. Based on my experience (farm boy) and their behavior, I'd say those two mascots are short a couple of body parts that would make them bulls. You can not tame and manage bulls, like you can steers. Hence, the reason for castrating them in the first place.

To my knowledge, there have been 2 live Brahma bulls raised to be mascots. Neither could be trained to handle crowds or crowd noise to the point that they would not be dangerous.

The only way I can see a live bull coming into any stadium, is to have him drugged, and I don't want that.

Archived