• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ledger: Bulls Hoping to Break Streak Against Bearcats

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

Bulls Hoping to Break Streak Against Bearcats

bilde?Site=LL&Date=20091013&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=910135007&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=600&border=0

Cincinnati receiver Mardy Gilyard catches a pass against South Florida's Quenton Washington (2) in the first half of an NCAA college football game Thursday, Oct. 30, 2008, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/Al Behrman)

By Tom Zebold

THE LEDGER

Published: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 at 12:14 a.m.

Last Modified: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 at 12:43 a.m.

TAMPA | It's arguable to say No. 21 South Florida is the underdog at home against No. 8 Cincinnati on Thursday night.

But some Bulls are running with the label.

"I like being the underdog," senior linebacker Chris Robinson said. "I never like being on top. I want to be considered that we're going to lose and we shock the world. I want to shock the world every week."

Stirring up an upset in the game televised nationally on ESPN sits well with senior defensive end George Selvie, too.

"I guess it seems like we got something to prove," he said. "If nobody gives us any respect, it just fires us up. We use it in the locker room before we go out. It just hypes us up."

The Latest Line, distributed by Tribune Media Services Inc., has the Bearcats favored by 3 points, and the series' past history could back the odds.

South Florida, which is 2-4 all-time against Cincinnati, has lost its past three games against the Bearcats, including a 24-10 road defeat on a Thursday night last year.

Remembering history makes older Bulls eager to end the skid in this battle of 5-0 teams.

"Playing Cincinnati, that's just a big motivation on its own because I haven't beat them in the past three years since I've been here," wide receiver Dontavia Bogan said.

Winning might be even more crucial for Selvie. The Bulls' last win in the series came in 2005, but the two-time All-American was redshirted that year and couldn't lend a hand on the field.

"This is my senior year. I just want to go out with a win," he said. "... This is a real big game for me."

The lack of expectations from critics could benefit USF, too.

The Bulls were ranked No. 10 in the country last October when they lost to Pittsburgh on a Thursday night at home.

The year before that, USF was No. 2 in The Associated Press Top 25 Poll when it fell to Rutgers - also on a Thursday night.

"It's nice to have somebody to have a target on them this week in Cincinnati coming in here being a top-ranked team," offensive coordinator Mike Canales said.

Underdog or favored, first-year starting quarterback B.J. Daniels doesn't care.

"Being the underdog's not something I think about," he said.

The even-keeled redshirt freshman has only two career starts under his belt since taking over for injured senior Matt Grothe (Lake Gibson). Daniels will make his first home start and is sticking to his usual philosophy, which could keep him calm under the national spotlight.

"I've never gone into any situation thinking that we are the underdog even if that's what's said on TV or different things like that," he said. "… If we are, we're just going to go into (the game) just like we always have these past weeks."

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We need to start winning as the favorite. That is the only way we can become who we want to be.... Champs!

• Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

and we need to start winning on Thursday nights!

• Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  3

we are no longer the favorite in this game.  uc is now favored by 3.5, atleast according to espn.

• Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  3

also, i wasnt referring to this article when i said we're no longer favored.  i was referring to threads from a few days ago.  but anyway, i saw cincy by 3.5 on espn today.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

wow usf really gets no respect

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Gotta earn respect its not given....a win vs cincy is start.

We need to figure out how to come out fired up for games we are the favorite, those are the games that have killed us.

Archived