• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ProFootballWeekly: USF safety Allen impresses

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Mike is right. S is usually a position that sees 1 MAYBE 2 guys taken in the first round. Just the history of the position. It is not seen as importantly as a QB, RB, WR, Oline, Dline, and CB. LB and S are like the unwanted/under appreciate stepchild of pro football.

I understand but look how many positions there are on a football team, 1 to 2 a year per position would be average or above. Sure QB's nad WR's get most notice but it isnt like the safety position has any less of a status in the first round then any other positions. I know there were 3 or 4 take n in the first round a couple years ago.

• Content Count:  4,738

Mike is right. S is usually a position that sees 1 MAYBE 2 guys taken in the first round. Just the history of the position. It is not seen as importantly as a QB, RB, WR, Oline, Dline, and CB. LB and S are like the unwanted/under appreciate stepchild of pro football.

yep.  1st rounders are top flight QBs, Defensive Ends, Cornerbacks, offensive tackles, Top flight RBs and WRs.  The safety position, linebacker, offensive guard, fullback usually arent. If someone drafts a safety in the first round it is an immediate need only.  just my opinion.

Remember Moffit?  Everyone thought he was a secrue third rounder.  Except LB's werent drafted high at all. 

UHHHH, multiple LB's go in the first round quite often and it's not strange to see one go in the top 5 either.   As for safeties you have to be a truly elite talent to get drafted in the first round as a safety and maybe one or two go in the first round if they have that kind of talent.   

last top 5 was in 2000.  Lavar Arrington

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

yep.  1st rounders are top flight QBs, Defensive Ends, Cornerbacks, offensive tackles, Top flight RBs and WRs.  The safety position, linebacker, offensive guard, fullback usually arent. If someone drafts a safety in the first round it is an immediate need only.  just my opinion.

Remember Moffit?  Everyone thought he was a secrue third rounder.  Except LB's werent drafted high at all. 

UHHHH, multiple LB's go in the first round quite often and it's not strange to see one go in the top 5 either.   As for safeties you have to be a truly elite talent to get drafted in the first round as a safety and maybe one or two go in the first round if they have that kind of talent.   

last top 5 was in 2000.  Lavar Arrington

Or Aaron Curry to the Seahawks in 2009 (that's this year, by the way).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft

• Content Count:  1,528

Too bad about JR Reid or we'd already have a safety in the league.

yep. 1st rounders are top flight QBs, Defensive Ends, Cornerbacks, offensive tackles, Top flight RBs and WRs. The safety position, linebacker, offensive guard, fullback usually arent. If someone drafts a safety in the first round it is an immediate need only. just my opinion.

Remember Moffit? Everyone thought he was a secrue third rounder. Except LB's werent drafted high at all.

UHHHH, multiple LB's go in the first round quite often and it's not strange to see one go in the top 5 either. As for safeties you have to be a truly elite talent to get drafted in the first round as a safety and maybe one or two go in the first round if they have that kind of talent.

last top 5 was in 2000. Lavar Arrington

Or Aaron Curry to the Seahawks in 2009 (that's this year, by the way).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft

Also since 2000: AJ Hawk (#5 Green Bay in 2006)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=LB&type=position

• Content Count:  579

I think the only positions not going in the first round is kickers and punters.  Except Schwartz.  I see big things for him in the draft.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I think the only positions not going in the first round is kickers and punters.  Except Schwartz.  I see big things for him in the draft.

There have even been a handful of punters and kickers drafted in the first round - most recently Sebastian Janikowski in 2000.

Fun fact: The Oakland Raiders are the only franchise to have ever drafted a kicker (Janikowski) and punter (Ray Guy in 1973) in the first round.

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Wasn't it the Giants that took Miami's Kenny Phillips two years ago with the last pick... Phillips was pretty f-en good IMO. He would have gone 2nd round if they didn't need him. I'm thinking low second, high third unless he ball hawks another five INT's. The two in front of him are going 1st round fo' sure.

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Really the most likely safeties to go in the first round in next year's draft would be Eric Berry (if he came out after this season) and possibly Taylor Mays. I'd love to see Nate go in the first round, but he'd more likely be an early-mid 2nd round pick

• Content Count:  4,738

awesome avatar

Archived