• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is Grothe still eligible for a Medical Redshirt?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

There have been exceptions.

Jason White (QB for OKla) got a 6th year as did Rocky Ross at UCF this year.

Ross was injured early last season and was granted a medical red shirt.

Incorrect.  This is only the 5th year for Ross.  He used last year as his redshirt year, after only plying in 3 games.  He was approved for a medical redshirt last year even though he played in a contest.

It is POSSIBLE that Grothe could get approved for a 6th year, just like Pinkney for ECU did this year.

It is not likely though.  I would say the odds are about 10 percent he gets another year.

• Content Count:  1
  • Days Won:  0

There have been exceptions.

Jason White (QB for OKla) got a 6th year as did Rocky Ross at UCF this year.

Ross was injured early last season and was granted a medical red shirt.

Rocky Ross did not redshirt his freshman year, though.  Rocky is in his 5th year (and his last).

http://ucfathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ross_rocky00.html

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

good luck to grothe

he was the best player usf ever had

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

i'm doubting he gets it, but if he did, it brings up a whole other controversy, especially if BJ is even 75% as good as grothe would have been this year. do you sit BJ again and bring back MG for one more year, or do you move on and stick with BJ for his remaining years? don't really need a controversy like this to happen.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Patrick Pinkney from ECU is in his sixth year.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Big East mailbag

September 22, 2009 1:10 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Brian Bennett

Injuries, big games and lots of other news from the weekend make for plenty of reader e-mails. Let's get to them.

Eric from Charleston, W. Va., writes: Huge 'Eers fan here, but my question is actually about another Big East team. I love to see our conference do well just so we can shut up the naysayers. I root for all Big East teams (yes, even Pitt) except when they're up against WVU, which brings me to my question: I was really hoping to see USF beat the tar out of FSU this week, but without Matt Grothe it will be tough. Can Grothe apply for a medical redshirt and become one of those 10th year seniors next year? Would love to get another crack at him in Motown.

Brian Bennett: Eric, he can apply for one, but my understanding is that would be highly unlikely that the NCAA would approve. Grothe already took a redshirt year, and in those cases, the NCAA usually only grants a sixth year if there are special circumstances. For instance, Pitt's Adam Gunn suffered a broken neck in the first game last year and was given a sixth year. Since Grothe played all the way up until the second quarter of the third game, I don't think he has much of a case.

And I think he's probably ready to go and try his luck in pro football rather than spend another year in college. One good thing is that Grothe told me this summer that he was only taking two classes this semester -- one of them is an online course, the other is golf -- and he will graduate in December.

Link

Archived