• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Three Deep Released!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  136
  • Days Won:  0

Lot of news in this release that people are missing...

Ok, I'll bite... what are we missing?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,403

I mentioned some of it.  I'm just surprised this isn't getting more comments and it was nearly on the 2nd page in the forum.

Spires was listed as a backup LB in the spring but is now off the depth chart.  Barrington switched positions.  Lindsey Lamar is impressing so much he's ahead of Samuels, another speed guy.  Hopkins isn't on the depth chart.  Victor Marc is behind walk on Raymond who will rarely play since Nate Allen isn't coming out much.  JPP is already a backup after just 1 week of practice.

As others say, a lot of the depth chart will change in the upcoming weeks but that's some interesting news.  I thought Marc was close to getting time this year but not if he's 3rd string behind Nate Allen and a walk on.  Doesn't look like Spires or Hopkins will play this year.

• Content Count:  1,266

I mentioned some of it.  I'm just surprised this isn't getting more comments and it was nearly on the 2nd page in the forum.

Spires was listed as a backup LB in the spring but is now off the depth chart.  Barrington switched positions.  Lindsey Lamar is impressing so much he's ahead of Samuels, another speed guy.  Hopkins isn't on the depth chart.  Victor Marc is behind walk on Raymond who will rarely play since Nate Allen isn't coming out much.  JPP is already a backup after just 1 week of practice.

As others say, a lot of the depth chart will change in the upcoming weeks but that's some interesting news.  I thought Marc was close to getting time this year but not if he's 3rd string behind Nate Allen and a walk on.  Doesn't look like Spires or Hopkins will play this year.

that is HUGE

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Where will he be if/when Harris and Marshall are moved back to DE?

• Content Count:  1,266

Good catch on Spires.  Greg just tweeted that he'll miss the '09 season due to financial reasons.  I don't get it, was he not on scholarship?

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Good catch on Spires.  Greg just tweeted that he'll miss the '09 season due to financial reasons.  I don't get it, was he not on scholarship?

I'm pretty sure he wasn't. Not sure what happened, but I think he walked away from his scholarship when he left the team in 2007. I really liked this kid, hope he gets everything together, I don't know anything about the situation, but it seems like things have not gone his way.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

how many true freshman have started for USF since we became d-1 and who were they?

a sign usf not recruiting too well

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Spires came back as a walk-on after he left the team after the 2007 season. He has one more year of eligibility -- technically he used his redshirt year in 2008, so he's just burning a year of eligibility this fall. He can start taking classes again in spring and try to return as a senior in 2010 ...

• Content Count:  4,016

how many true freshman have started for USF since we became d-1 and who were they?

a sign usf not recruiting too well

What's a bad sign that freshmen are starting or that they are not?  It's a huge deal if a freshman ever starts his freshman year, and I just gave 12 examples of guys that have started since they were freshmen since Green and not including Green.  That list also didn't include JUCO transfers, and transfers from other schools. 

I think that's a pretty impressive number?  Do you think it would be better if more freshmen started?  Peter Carroll is starting his first freshman QB ever, does that make it better, or worse?  Many USC fans are preparing for their first possibility of losing the Pac10 because they're relying on a true freshman QB...so why is a freshman starter necessarily a good thing?  I find the less freshmen that start is actually an indicator of how GOOD YOU RECRUIT.  Meaning you've got depth and talent and don't have to rely on a true freshman to give you depth or play.  I can tell you right now USC was praying that Corp could have been healthy enough to contend, and are frustrated that Mitch Mustain has been a bust since his arrival.  They didn't want to have to go this route but now they do and have to prepare for it.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

So Giddons at 3rd String. Is that because he hasn't had enough practice from the NCAA clearinghouse hold up? Or is it he may not be as good as we thought he was? The infamous practice with the "language" incident comes to mind where he was getting handled by an O lineman.

My guess is that he isn't nearly as strong as JPP being 2 years behind in development. I remember a quote from CJL about how he looked great early on, but had dropped off a bit. It's all conditioning and strength training now.

I think he will be fine, but apparently JPP has looked great.

It's also possible that they are still considering a RS for Giddens if JPP can prove that he is ready in a game-time situation. We could see another BJ Daniels type wrist injury after the first game where Giddens gets to play on Saturday, but still redshirt for medical reasons.

Archived