• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New commitment

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Offered by Duke, Vandy and Wake Forest. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

In the highlights i've seen of this kid he plays like Connor Barwin a kid Tresey killed us with. 

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

I read somewhere he is up around 220 right now.

That's much better. He'll put on some pounds this season and when he gets into out weight training program.

He's gaining wait by the minute.  ;D

Wilkinson commits to USF

bilde?Site=SH&Date=20090725&Category=ARTICLE&ArtNo=907251027&Ref=AR

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: Venice High's defensive end calls the school a perfect fit

By ALAN DELL Correspondent

Published: Saturday, July 25, 2009 at 1:00 a.m.

Last Modified: Friday, July 24, 2009 at 7:20 p.m.

VENICE - Ever since he can remember, Brandon Wilkinson felt the University of South Florida was the perfect fit for him.

So the Venice High defensive end gave himself the perfect birthday present when he committed to the Bulls on Friday. It was less than one week after he received an offer from USF head coach Jim Leavitt.

The 6-foot-5, 230-pounder celebrates his 18th birthday today and he could not think of a better gift. He had received offers from numerous Football Bowl Subdivision schools (formerly called Division I-A), including Purdue, Minnesota and Indiana from the Big 10; Vanderbilt and Kentucky from the SEC and Wake Forest and Duke from the ACC.

"Everything feels right about USF, the coaches, the school and the football they play," Wilkinson said. "Coach Leavitt is a religious, Christian man and that is very important to me and my family. He is working hard to get USF a Big East Conference championship and I want to be a part of it."

Wilkinson, his parents and brother toured the campus on Friday, then had a family meeting and he decided that he would commit. The verbal commitment is non-binding, but Wilkinson said it was firm and that he would not visit other schools.

"Coach Leavitt was revved up and said he was happy I was coming," Wilkinson said. "USF is after a championship and I could tell by the way he talks that he wants to become a powerhouse. He is passionate about football and life."

Venice head coach John Peacock predicted his prize defensive player would be a captain of the Bulls by the time he was a senior and praised Wilkinson for turning himself into a big-time college prospect. When last season ended, he was about 190 pounds and said the weight he put on was nearly all muscle.

Wilkinson is impressed with the defensive ends that have played for USF, particularly All-American senior George Selvie. It is the same position the Bulls want him to play.

"The coaches told me they really like my first step coming off the edge," said Wilkinson, who led the Indians with 12 sacks and had 40 tackles, five quarterback pressures, two fumble recoveries and one blocked kick last season.

Wilkinson said he could graduate from high school early and if he does, he would enroll at USF in January. He is open to sitting out his first year as a redshirt, but Leavitt told him to wait and see how things develop.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090725/ARTICLE/907251027/-1/NEWSSITEMAP

As someone else said, could this be the start of Defensive End U? If we can continue to put DE in the pros like Selvie, its a distinct possibility. Kid looks solid, nice buildup on size.

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Gregs blog says he is 6-4 and 230 pounds & had 12 sacks last season.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Well *I* have it on good authority that he is 7'3" and weighs 630 lbs. Also, he runs a 3.9 40-yard-dash and has a 60" vertical.

• Content Count:  849
  • Days Won:  0

Good, a DE because we need more of them...

Jim, I sense a bit of sarcasm in your words there....lol

just because of the last recruiting class it doesn't mean we're stacked at the position.

Selvie and Harris are gone after this season, Marshall, JPP, and Claude Davis will only have 2 years here

I personally don't see Sager or Demi Thompson playing DE for us, most likely DT or special teams

Hampton and Fonua are guys that I wouldn't expect big things from

So that leaves us with Giddens and Forte as our only legit 4 year guys and who knows if Giddens stays all 4 years

so basically this is good and we do always need DEs

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Giddins gone before four years? Let the guy take a snap before you pencil him in for leaving early. Even if he's the next George Selvie ... that still means five years on campus.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

You can never have too many good DE's IMO.  This kid is excited to be a bull and is very athletic with a big frame and from all initial reports a very good student, whats not to like?  I guarantee a lot of big programs will still push for this kid especially if he has a senior season similar to his junior campaign. 

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Good, a DE because we need more of them...

how about recruiting some olinemen

Archived