• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF To Produce Online Interactive Guides in 2009-10

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

Effective for the upcoming 2009-10 seasons, the University of South Florida Department of Athletics will forgo printing media guides as part of a budget reduction initiative.

USF will move all of the content into a web based format on GoUSFBulls.com.

"We are embracing the changing needs of our coaches, the media and our fan base, while also being financially prudent," said USF Assistant AD for Communications Chris Freet.  "We want to be on the forefront of new media by finding cutting edge ways to connect with our constituents. The change also provides an exciting opportunity to present the history and sports specific information in a new and dynamic format."

USF will produce "online interactive guides" for each of its athletic programs.  Additionally, PDF versions of the history and records sections of printed guides will be available on GoUSFBulls.com.

USF spent $185,000 dollars on printed media guides over the last two seasons.

Other BCS schools that have announced they will no longer print media guides are Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Oregon, Iowa State and Texas A&M. The Pac 10 is also proposing cost-cutting legislation to the NCAA that would do away with printed media guides.

"We will continue to look for opportunities to operate as efficiently as possible without affecting the student-athlete experience," said Doug Woolard, Director of Athletics.

Another piece of the budget reduction initiative includes traveling to the football game against Florida State in Tallahassee by bus instead of by chartered flight.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=3750689

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

STATE of the art

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

hmmm--- guess this is yet another sign that print media is dying

I wonder if you could still offer a printed one for fans by special order?

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I dunno Mike, Ohio State did the same thing and aren't doing that

• Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

A few things

1) Hopefully, you will be able to get it for free or a really discounted value since you are not getting a printed copy.

2) I would expect, that we can take it to Kinko's and get it printed ourselves

3) Updates should be made available throughout the season - Long shot but would be nice (Stats, etc)

• Content Count:  210
  • Days Won:  0

Budget cuts? Isn't our athletic budget already among the smallest in the Big East?

• Content Count:  335
  • Days Won:  1

Must admit will miss the printed guide.  Always keep mine in a handy place and refer to it often.  Makes for good reading during the long wait between seasons.

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Hopefully they will print them after huge games upon request as a good souvenir.

• Content Count:  63
  • Days Won:  0

A few things

1) Hopefully, you will be able to get it for free or a really discounted value since you are not getting a printed copy.

2) I would expect, that we can take it to Kinko's and get it printed ourselves

3) Updates should be made available throughout the season - Long shot but would be nice (Stats, etc)

All three are correct.

Archived