• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Expansion of the Big 10 at the Big East's expense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

That was just paterno running his mouth. First off Im sure he doesnt like the reality that the BigTen is controlled by Michigan and OSU.

Those two will not vote to expand to Pitt, Rutgers or Syracuse because that would mean one of the following:

1. Being in same division and then only one of them would be in Big Ten title game yearly.

2. Being in opposite divisions and either not playng yearly or moving their gme to early in season losing the importance of their current season ending matchup

No way those two agree to either of two above unless its Notre Dame that comes in.

money will dictate if it happens

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,832
  • Days Won:  22

That was just paterno running his mouth. First off Im sure he doesnt like the reality that the BigTen is controlled by Michigan and OSU.

Those two will not vote to expand to Pitt, Rutgers or Syracuse because that would mean one of the following:

1. Being in same division and then only one of them would be in Big Ten title game yearly.

2. Being in opposite divisions and either not playng yearly or moving their gme to early in season losing the importance of their current season ending matchup

No way those two agree to either of two above unless its Notre Dame that comes in.

money will dictate if it happens

Yes and ND would bring the BigTen more money than Rutgers,Pitt and Cuse combined. They currently make big money and they are not going to close the door to ND, the big prize for some scraps.

• Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

We better shift all the facility improvement plans to the left of the schedule (I'll also add in the OCS) if a Big East school jumps. Being the only BE school in Florida may go away soon after.

IMO, that will be a dark day unless we jump as well (not happening).

• Content Count:  12,293

i have a confession... i tend to cheer for big east rivals when it comes to their nonconference play. these wins legitimize the BE and over time maybe that means we wont have to worry about other conferences poaching our limited number of opponents.

i always root for big east teams during their OOC games

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Replacing any of our schools with Memphis or UCF would be further diluting it. Memphis obviously cannot hang with BCS level talent

I remember Big East fans saying the same thing about South Florida and Cincinnati at one time... being in the Big East would make Memphis a better football school, they are already a strong basketball school.

• Content Count:  10,219

Replacing any of our schools with Memphis or UCF would be further diluting it. Memphis obviously cannot hang with BCS level talent

I remember Big East fans saying the same thing about South Florida and Cincinnati at one time... being in the Big East would make Memphis a better football school, they are already a strong basketball school.

Calapari is gone memphis is done!

and football sucks!

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

memphis a football school??? never

• Content Count:  1,757

Whether it is nice to think about or not, the Big East is weaker after the ACC raid

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Whether it is nice to think about or not, the Big East is weaker after the ACC raid

I agree 100%

The two problems with the Big East:

(1) Its focus on basketball over football is ass backwards. While every other football conference is focused on football first, the Big East is primarily focused on Basketball and this focus doesn't do jack for us because Tampa is not a basketball city, and its counter productive overall to the rest of the football schools.

(2) Its alignment of teams is equally ass backwards... the BE is a North Eastern Conference with 2 Southern teams playing in it... it makes just as much sense as the SEC bringing in Boston College, Rutgers, or any other Northern School.

In my opinion the Big East following the ACC raid took necessary steps toward being a true Eastern Conference school however they only did it half ass thanks to the Basketball schools which stopped the addition of a 10th football team. The only way for the Big East to become a Big Conference like the ACC or SEC and to avoid getting raided again would be to split the Conference into two Divisions, North and South and bring in new teams, at least two of them, and kick ND, Marq, and DePaul to the curb.

However this will never happen because the Basketball schools run the BE and ultimately another raid is unavoidable...

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  14,408
  • Days Won:  13

I can see this happening because of that Obama and Congress want, a CF playoff system. Congress basically told the commissioners to fix it or they will. Obama wants the top 8 teams in a playoff. Pressure for conference playoffs to feed a national playoff system is a possibility. And while the Big 10 Commish is saying while Obama is a smart guy but doesn't know what he is talking about in regards to a playoff and saying that Joe Pa's wishes won't come true this season, the writing is on the wall.

Archived