• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe's Future after USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Dude, It's  week 1 preseason game. Marquel was a solid college player...that's it.

Small college QBs get shots all the time...even late round picks...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

chase daniels? Todd Reesing?...There are others similar to styles who throw the ball better who didnt get drafted right?...Granted Grothe runs better then all of them. I would love to see him get the opportunity, but expect it to be alot like the rest of those top talent qb's who didn't get their name called.

Reesing like Grothe is going into his senior year this season-- he wasn't even in the draft so it's pretty hard to get drafted.

But the comparison to Chase Daniels and the other kids like Graham Harrell (who had Heisman type hype/crazy good numbers) going undrafted reminds me all too much of what happened to UDFA Marquel Blackwell. He had the misfortune of being picked up by the Jets after they had drafted a QB that season, thereby giving him next to no chance at an actual shot in the NFL (even with Herm Edwards as the coach)--- and despite playing well in the preseason he got cut and was never heard from again. You see it all the time-- GM's and coaches trying to validate their draft picks by cutting other players despite all indications of value shown in practice and actual preseason game play.

I am thankful for Matt has done for USF in his time here and look forward to a great senior season. But I am not terribly optimistic about how big of a shot he might get at the next level based on his size alone (and he is a bit taller than Marquel was). The NFL has some really stupid measurables it uses to evaluate talent that take no consideration for heart and overall toughness.

if he was any good he would have stuck with the team and if the Jets did draft him "with next to no chance at an actul shot in the NFL" if he were any good and played "that well"  he would have got picked up elsewhere.  Has nothing to do with GMs validating their draft picks by cutting others.  that is ridiculous. 

You should thank Brad for not cutting you for that run-on/mish-mash convoluted sentence.

Let me ask you this-- DID YOU actually see the Jets preseason game (one game-- that was it*) that he played in that many of us watched? Have you ever even seen Marquel play at USF?

maybe he got his fair shot as you say-- but considering Brooks Bollinger hasn't exactly lit up the world so far over those years either, maybe it was for the best.

And if you don't think -- all things being equal other than UDFA vs. Drafted player-- that a coach and GM wouldn't tend to validte their own draft, YOU are the one being ridiculous. I know that people like Gruden and Allen did this the past 5 years (thank god they are history)

*footnote to above, from Wikipedia

Blackwell entered the 2003 NFL Draft but was not drafted. He signed with the New York Jets as a rookie free agent but only saw playing time in 1 preseason game. Blackwell started the preseason finale against the Eagles. Playing the entire first half, Blackwell completed 7-of-11 for 111 yards and two touchdowns. He was cut after week 1 of the NFL regular season.

post edit-- I am pretty sure if Marquel had tried to catch on with an arena team or NFL Europe or CFL perhaps that he might have gotten another shot at the NFL. Seems like he just gave up though on football after the Jets and went into coaching HS.

Sorry for my run-on sentence, didnt think this was English 101.  I did watch the game, because I am a Jets fan way before USF football even existed.  I was rooting for Marquel more than anyone, being he is from my alma mater, trying out for my favorite team and the fact that I knew him personally from classes and parties.  He was in no way shape or form ready to be an NFL QB.  All im saying is your reasoning for him not making that team, or any team for that matter is ridiculous.  That is why went into coaching high school football...If you cant see that, then I dont know what to say.

Brooks Bollinger is not a good QB, but obviously better than Marquel in the NFL.  He was with the Jets, the Vikings and the Cowboys.  Who has Marquel played for?  Its not a vendetta against Marquel, ever think maybe he just wasnt good enough for the nfl? and thats ok. 

• Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

Unless he has a Heisman-like Sr. season, I see Grothe being drafted in the 5th round and becoming a pretty reliable Safety, with maybe an occasional wildcat appearance.

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

Dude, It's  week 1 preseason game. Marquel was a solid college player...that's it.

week 1 preseason or week 1 of practice...its still the NFL against guys who are playing football for a living.  its not like blackwell posted those numbers against some JV team.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

week 1 preseason or week 1 of practice...its still the NFL against guys who are playing football for a living.  its not like blackwell posted those numbers against some JV team.

read the quote again-- it was the LAST week of the preseason (preseason finale)-- he never saw the field until that game and in the short half he had to work, played very well. Granted most of the people he played against also got cut from their team.

Archived