• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

David Blackwell Joins USF Football Staff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

I look at it this way:

Last Year

OC - Gregory

DC/LB - Burnham

Sec - Douglas

This Year

OC - Canales

DC/DB - Tresey

LB - Blackwell

Even though I respected Burnham greatly, I can't help but think these hires have been a big upgrade overall in the Staff.  Excited about this year.

Agree, the coaching staff got a good upgrade which was needed after last year.

This was a good hire.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Agree that overall our staff is upgraded.

Leavitt was a Co-Cordinator ... trust he knows how to distribute accountability and responsibility.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

i love this hire, and i love the new blood that has been added to the coaching staff this offseason...

exactly what we need to continue moving up the ranks of the CFB heirarchy.

kudos to Leavitt. 

i was a bit worried that he was going to f**k this all up with all that "co-DC" stuff a couple weeks ago, but he came through and put together a better staff than we had before.

• Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

I look at it this way:

Last Year

OC - Gregory

DC/LB - Burnham

Sec - Douglas

This Year

OC - Canales

DC/DB - Tresey

LB - Blackwell

Even though I respected Burnham greatly, I can't help but think these hires have been a big upgrade overall in the Staff.  Excited about this year.

Agree, the coaching staff got a good upgrade which was needed after last year.

This was a good hire.

True.  Wally was a great guy, but I'm glad to see the new blood...

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

From ESPN recruiting:

USF adds Blackwell to already good recruiting staff

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Posted by JC Shurburtt

It's no secret that South Florida has improved its recruiting during the past couple of cycles, particularly in-state. The Bulls' staff has done an excellent job of evaluating and landing some of the best talent in the Sunshine State.

On Thursday, head coach Jim Leavitt added another key piece to his staff as he hired away David Blackwell from Clemson as the teams co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach. Blackwell was retained by new Tigers head coach Dabo Swinney after the departure of Tommy Bowden, but was coaching a position on the defensive line as new Clemson defensive coordinator Kevin Steele took over the linebackers.

Blackwell served as the Tigers' recruiting coordinator from 2003-05 and during his first year in that position, led the charge to land many players who were the backbone of Clemson's team.

The 2004 class was lightly-regarded in terms of rankings, but Blackwell and company signed safeties Chris Clemons and Michael Hamlin, quarterback Cullen Harper, defensive tackles Rashaad Jackson and Dorrel Scott, defensive end Phillp Merling and offensive tackle Barry Richardson.

Blackwell also instituted a new evaluation process which allowed the Tigers to identify many of South Carolina's top prospects well before they started their senior seasons. That process was used even after Billy Napier took over as the Tigers' recruiting coordinator for the Class of 2008.

Blackwell recruited the Charleston, S.C., area and South Florida, including Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties, for Clemson during the past two seasons. He is expected to recruit the Jacksonville area for the Bulls.

As for his replacement at Clemson, there is talk that former Tennessee defensive line coach Dan Brooks could be in the mix for the job. Brooks recruited North and South Carolina for the Vols under former head coach Phillip Fulmer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3974910&name=Southeast_Recruiting

Archived