• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Have New Look - (Mike Ford Looking Slimmer)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I think Mike was around 230 to start the season last year.  220 should be better, but we'll see.

The bigger news was him addressing the cleats which was buried in the story.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  412
  • Days Won:  0

Encouraging, we'll see if he follows through.

• Content Count:  171

The combo of ford and taylor can dominate the big east

• Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090311/ARTICLE/903111060/2050/SPORTS?Title=Bulls-have-new-look

Bulls have new look

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: Not only with new faces, but Mike Ford looks slimmer

By ALAN DELL Correspondent

Published: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 1:00 a.m.

Last Modified: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 6:33 a.m.

TAMPA - With new offensive and defensive coordinators, the University of South Florida football team had a new look when it began spring practice on Tuesday. But the biggest change came from a familiar face.

Mike Ford didn't look like Mike Ford. At least not the one fans saw the last time he took the field in the Bulls' bowl game last December.

The former Sarasota High record setting running back no longer has his dreadlocks. But the biggest thing he shed was his weight.

Getting ready for his junior year next season, Ford weighed in at 220 this week, which was 20 pounds lighter then when he took the field against Memphis in the St. Petersburg Bowl.

The best part says Ford and USF football strength coach Ron McKeefery is that he is stronger and more agile. He hopes it translates into more carries and more production.

"Mike went down significantly in body fat, which translates into about 20 pounds of fat," McKeefery said. "He has worked as hard as he ever has during the offseason and is starting to figure it out. His body fat is down to 15 percent, which is petty good for somebody his size (6-foot-2).

"Basically, he was carrying about an extra 25-pound plate around with him and now he is not. He is more efficient. His new muscle mass is propelling him in the right direction as opposed to fighting his natural body movement."

Ford suffered a high ankle sprain in the first game of the season last year and never totally healed. He is hoping the loss of weight and change in cleats will help him avoid injuries in 2009.

"It was very frustrating last year. I never had an injury that lasted so long. The most I ever missed was a game or two and then I would be right back," Ford said.

"This year I feel a lot lighter and stronger. I've been catching a lot of balls in seven-on-seven drills and my teammates commented that I was a lot faster."

Ford said he gave up greasy and high content fat foods. He got his bench press up to 325 pounds and could've done more, but the coaches didn't want him to do any more because of a past shoulder injury.

Along with the ankle injury, McKeefery feels Ford might have eaten himself out of his position. They sat down and talked after the season and came up with a plan.

"Mike can endure more now and is going to be able to last longer. He's going to be able to be more than a three-carry back," McKeefery said. "We talked about trying to make him an every-down back, not just a short yardage back where he's getting the ball because he is our biggest guy. We want him to be able to move and be able to break away from the second level."

Ford is going into the season No. 1 on the depth chart at running back along with Moise Plancher, but believes that doesn't mean whole lot.

"It means something, but at the same time it doesn't mean anything because you can lose it anytime. Right now, I think it's open and there is no No. 1," Ford said. "Everybody is fighting for it. I am just going to do try to do my best and stay healthy and stay focused and make sure I practice extra hard and be a leader."

Ford also has some extra motivation. A good friend of his, Booker High graduate Cornell Harris Jr., a promising local boxer, was shot and killed last weekend.

"I am going to dedicate my season to him. We talked the night before he was killed and I was shocked when I heard about it," Ford said. "We've always tried to be an inspiration to each other and tried to boost each other's athletic careers. My prayers go out to his family and friends. Let him rest in peace."

Ford has some personal goals for next season, but would prefer not to talk about them. However, there are a few he can't keep secret.

"I want to rush for 1,000 yards, have a couple or more hundred yard games and get better with my blocking."

• Content Count:  7,890

not another topic about this article  :Bang

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Getting ready for his junior year next season, Ford weighed in at 220 this week, which was 20 pounds lighter then when he took the field against Memphis in the St. Petersburg Bowl.

Jesus H. Verdejo!  Ford weighed 240 pounds? ? ?

big kid... 10 more pounds and his nickname would have been F-250.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

651220.jpg

Kelly is a beast

yes, yes he is.

and he has been criminally underutilized in our offense the past two years.

Chico/Franks need to get that kid on the field.

he has NEVER had a rush for a loss in his entire career.

• Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

I wish the best to Mike and I'm sorry to hear about his friend.  I admire his courage to continue and dedicate his season to his friend who is there in spirit every step of the way.  Nice to hear good things for a change.

• Content Count:  2,478

The combo of ford and taylor can dominate the big east

Easily. If they both can get rolling. Sprinkle a little bit of R. Kelley in there and our ground attack will be amazing.

Archived