• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

search for 3 missing boaters will be suspended at sundown

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I can spot my small 14' boat in my backyard with Google earth and it's green against green grass, makes you think they could pick out a white bottom of a boat against blue waves doesn't it?

The waves werent blue for a couple days,they were white, whitecaps everywhere. Makes it really tough to spot, especially when only part of the boat was above th waterline. What are you saying, the Coast Guard doesnt know what they are doing?

I dont think anyone's saying the coast guard doesn't know what they are doing.

Just curious if other technology could be used for this purpose?

Well, i got to thinking, what if they made GPS life jackets?

You have it on and if your in danger you pull a string and it activates the GPS and it sends a signal to the Coast Guard closest to your area.

Yes? No?

Sounds like an idea someone needs to patent. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I can spot my small 14' boat in my backyard with Google earth and it's green against green grass, makes you think they could pick out a white bottom of a boat against blue waves doesn't it?

The waves werent blue for a couple days,they were white, whitecaps everywhere. Makes it really tough to spot, especially when only part of the boat was above th waterline. What are you saying, the Coast Guard doesnt know what they are doing?

I dont think anyone's saying the coast guard doesn't know what they are doing.

Just curious if other technology could be used for this purpose?

Well, i got to thinking, what if they made GPS life jackets?

You have it on and if your in danger you pull a string and it activates the GPS and it sends a signal to the Coast Guard closest to your area.

Yes? No?

Sounds like an idea someone needs to patent. 

Actually, they have a watch that can do all of this: The Breitling Emergency.  It costs around $5,000.00.

http://www.breitling.com/en/models/professional/emergency/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitling#The_Breitling_Emergency

Of course, if you activate it on accident, you have to pay for all costs incurred in your "rescue"

• Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

The whole GPS technology has really taken off the past couple years.  You have it built in to some laptops now, EPIRBs etc.  I think in the next couple years the industry will look completely different.

• Content Count:  403

You can get an EPIRB for around $900.  You can also get a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) for around $500.   You can look either up on westmarine.com

And as far as "I can spot my boat on google earth"... I believe Google earth and Mapquest get those photos from airplanes that fly over and take photographs... it doesn't come from a satellite that is currently taking pictures.  Go to where you know there is new construction happening right now and try to look at it.. It probably won't be there. 

• Content Count:  2,277

Google uses satellites.  They just launched a new higher resolution one in September of '08.  The reason you don't see construction on google earth is because the images are archived images not live.  They only update them every once in a while (not sure the frequency).

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Google uses satellites.  They just launched a new higher resolution one in September of '08.  The reason you don't see construction on google earth is because the images are archived images not live.  They only update them every once in a while (not sure the frequency).

Yep.  I cut down a tree in my yard two years ago, but Google Maps still shows it.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

You can get an EPIRB for around $900.  You can also get a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) for around $500.   You can look either up on westmarine.com

And as far as "I can spot my boat on google earth"... I believe Google earth and Mapquest get those photos from airplanes that fly over and take photographs... it doesn't come from a satellite that is currently taking pictures.  [glow=red,2,300]Go to where you know there is new construction happening right now and try to look at it.. It probably won't be there.   [/glow]

You have to pay big money for up to the minute images.  That's how a lot of corporations decide where to build their next 7-11, walgreen's, etc.  when they see a lot of new houses, they say....."guess they need a 7-11"

• Content Count:  2,523

Exactly, the free version runs 3 years behind from what I remember and the "live" version isn't much if you're a company.  Surely there are a TON of folks in Tampa with the live version who could've been "scanning".  Maybe someone would've gotten lucky, low chance of success, but who knows. 

Archived