• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can Leavitt lure a coach from BCS program?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Greg's blog on this is some of his best work.  While others sling mud with shoddy reporting, again, Greg's work presents a lucid picture of the problem.  Thanks Greg.

Link-http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

"There's been a lot of conversation as to whether three coaches leaving in a week is a reflection of Leavitt and his coaching style or simply a reflection of college coaches."

"What I'm trying to say is turnover is certainly higher at USF in recent years, the people leaving USF aren't necessarily staying put when they leave, either."

Ask the question and do some research.  Amazing.  Or we could just speculate.  Oh and the questions to Earl Lane was also helpful.  CJL is demanding, no two ways about it.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

I would say no he cant

• Content Count:  667
  • Days Won:  0

"There's been a lot of conversation as to whether three coaches leaving in a week is a reflection of Leavitt and his coaching style or simply a reflection of college coaches."

"What I'm trying to say is turnover is certainly higher at USF in recent years, the people leaving USF aren't necessarily staying put when they leave, either."

Ask the question and do some research.  Amazing.  Or we could just speculate.  Oh and the questions to Earl Lane was also helpful.  CJL is demanding, no two ways about it.

no one cares about douglas or greg gregory leaving.  the issue is WALLY.  someone spends 9 years at USF and is a part of building the program and bolts for none other than iowa state.  penn state?  florida state?  arizona state?  michigan state?  kansas state?  sure, i can see that.  but not iowa state.  not a big 12 cellar dweller in the middle of cornfields.  just cuz wally jr.  is coaching there?  i'm sorry, but after 9 years, you dont leave for iowa state.  monte left for knoxville.. to coach with his son-- a HEAD COACH.. at university of TENNESSEE (a big time program).  ISU is not UT-- no where near UT.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

no one cares about douglas or greg gregory leaving.  the issue is WALLY.  someone spends 9 years at USF and is a part of building the program and bolts for none other than iowa state.  penn state?  florida state?  arizona state?  michigan state?  kansas state?  sure, i can see that.  but not iowa state.  not a big 12 cellar dweller in the middle of cornfields.  just cuz wally jr.  is coaching there?  i'm sorry, but after 9 years, you dont leave for iowa state.  monte left for knoxville.. to coach with his son-- a HEAD COACH.. at university of TENNESSEE (a big time program).  ISU is not UT-- no where near UT.

Ever consider the fact that he may be operating on a different set of values than you?  He said it was on his bucket list which is usually reserved for the things people to desire to do the most before they kick that same proverbial bucket.  This also affords him to be very close to his new grandchild.  Some people lust for notoriety and prestige others value their family more than anything on the planet.     

I would say no he cant

You might actually be right.  But I think he can, but it will be a "lesser" BCS program.  He's not taking anyone from a power-team.

Now follow closely. 

Wally leaves for Iowa State while his son, Shane, is at Elon as a DT coach.  DT coaches at Elon make jack.  DT coaches at Elon become HS head coaches in the state of East Carolina after a few years.  Or they spend 10 years bouncing around 1-AA and non-BCS waiting for their chance.  After Wally gets hired, he brings his son to Iowa State as a position coach.  Position coaches at Iowa State make 6-figures.  Position coaches at Iowa State have a chance to go to other BCS schools and move up the ranks.  No guarantees, but better than staying at Elon.  Wally did not leave to join his son at Iowa State, he left to bring his son to Iowa State and give him a leg up on advancing his career. 

Leavitt had turned Wally down previously on bringing Shane to USF as a positions coach.  Leavitt did hire Patrick Burnham in a non-coaching capacity a couple years ago, so his objection was to Wally directly supervising Shane.  So Wally did what he felt was in his, his family's and Shane's family's best interest.  You can keep ******** about it and imputing motives to Leavitt, but you are guessing.  I do believe you would not do that for your family, but Wally Burnham clearly has different priorities than you.

• Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Once again, I agree with Sanjay on this one.  Everyone knows about the Gregory debacle.  He was moving on regardless after the demotion.  Now, Troy Douglas, he's just advancing his career, making more money.  No problem with that.  Wally is the one that probably hurts the most, but it doesn't appear to be anything other than helping his son out as much as possible.  Does it suck losing him.........yes it does.  Is he replaceable.............yes he is.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I would say no he cant

Leavitt can, but USF doesn't have the donors to pay a larger salary, yet!

Constant REMINDER: Larger Donations can be paid Quarterly.  ;D

• Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

According to Brett, CJL is at least interviewing DC's from other BCS programs:

http://sports.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/

I've always admired UC's defenses, so Tresey would be a good hire IMO.  Also, probably about as good as we can do given the timing.

(Sorry, didn't see the other thread on this before posting).

Archived