• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is it just me or is the BCS a microcosm of America?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  246
  • Days Won:  0

Nobody is crowning a champion based on pre-season polls, so the games on the field matter.  A playoff would make games meaningless.  We would begin to see teams that was undefeated rest their starters for the last game of the season.  Voting is a joke in the coaches and harris poll.  The AP poll at least has some dignity, since it was smart enough to pull out of the BCS.  All of the voting and conversation is the reason why college football is so great.  If I wanted a bunch of balanced teams running the same offenses with little to no passion, I would watch the NFL.  We should institute a recuiting star cap so that each team can only take total of 60 stars, that way all the teams would be more even and life would be fair.

How any true college football fan can be against a playoff is beyond me.  How anyone can think basing a championship off of opinions of ignorant and biased voters, over having one decided on the field of play is better is beyond me.  

We've seen what a joke the voting is (Oleary ranking UCF over USF last year as an example)...and how biased some of the coaches are towards their conference.  To leave such a great competitive sport up to individuals with agendas and to be happy about it, is just moronic.  

The boiling frog is a great analogy. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,489
  • Days Won:  13

if barack finds a way to get a playoff system I may just voye for him in 4 years

• Content Count:  2,277

How any true college football fan can be against a playoff is beyond me.  How anyone can think basing a championship off of opinions of ignorant and biased voters, over having one decided on the field of play is better is beyond me.  

We've seen what a joke the voting is (Oleary ranking UCF over USF last year as an example)...and how biased some of the coaches are towards their conference.  To leave such a great competitive sport up to individuals with agendas and to be happy about it, is just moronic.  

The boiling frog is a great analogy. 

+1  Couldn't have said it better.  The BcS is garbage.

• Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

College football is great because of athletes playing football for the love of football.....college football is great because of bands, because of cheerleaders, because of rabid fanbases.....college football is not great because of heated debates over rankings....

I don't see how playoffs make the regular season meaningless.  Could you please provide me just one game from this year that would have been meaningless, and the team would have rested starters because of a playoff.  If anything, a playoff makes more games meaningful.  Truthfully, outside of the ACC, who cared about the ACC championship?  A playoff makes that game meaningful.....right now with the BCS, that game ment basically nothing.  How much more meaningful would each and every conference game be for USF, if a chance to play for the national championship was riding on it....verses playing in one of the "other" BCS games.  In todays world, for 99% of teams, once you lose once in the season, the rest of your games are meaningless except for the fanbase of that team.....how is that good? 

How is depriving the athletes on Utah their right from proving it on the field good for college football?   

Texas, USC, Penn State and Utah all played the games on their schedule and ended up with an equal (or in Utah's case, better) record.....yet based solely on OPINION of biased coaches/individuals,  don't get a chance to prove they are the best (and this happens basically every single year)......how is that good for college football?

• Content Count:  246

Could you please provide me just one game from this year that would have been meaningless, and the team would have rested starters because of a playoff.   If anything, a playoff makes more games meaningful.   Truthfully, outside of the ACC, who cared about the ACC championship?   A playoff makes that game meaningful.....right now with the BCS, that game ment basically nothing.   How much more meaningful would each and every conference game be for USF, if a chance to play for the national championship was riding on it....verses playing in one of the "other" BCS games.  In todays world, for 99% of teams, once you lose once in the season, the rest of your games are meaningless except for the fanbase of that team.....how is that good? 

How is depriving the athletes on Utah their right from proving it on the field good for college football?   

Well, it depends on the system you want for the playoffs as to how meaningless the games will get.  A four team playoff wouldn't have solved the problem everyone has with Utah this year, since they were ranked 5th at the end of the regular season.  In an 8 team playoff, the SEC Championship game would have been meaningless, as Alabama and florida would have most likely still been in the group of eight.  I'm not even going to bother listing how many games would have been meaningless with a larger playoff.

Utah is in a better position now than if there was a playoff.  At least now they can claim they are the best team, and they have their 2nd undefeated season.  If there a playoff, they would get curb stomped by UF, OU, USC, or Texas.  Also, they are not being "deprived of the right" to anything, it's college football, not the 2nd amendment.

The point I'm trying to make with the playoff is how far do you go?  There is always going to be someone complaining that the system isn't fair to them.  Look at the NCAA basketball tourney.  There are those that want to expand to 128 teams.  90% of the auto bid teams to the current format are garbage, and they want to add more?  It will get to that point in college football eventually.  I'm sure there will be a playoff someday, but I don't think it will make college football  better.  It will just be more structured and regulated like the NFL (No Fun League).

• Content Count:  849

While a college football playoff might be a good idea in the future, for USF football, is that the best thing? We're a rising program and we're trying to do it fast as possible and I think the BCS affords USF that opportunity better than any playoff could. We simply do not have the depth of some of the major teams to compete in a playoff bracket and emerge victorious. I think the opportunity to play in a very winnable BCS conference gives us national prestige and would allow us to recruit even better than we are doing now. If we went undefeated last year and this year we would have been national champions without a doubt. Hell, even last year with 1 loss we could have probably made it. I know it didn't happen but it shows you that it was very possible.  Our out of conference scheduling in the future will allow us to get a shot at the national title if we run the table consistently....especially next year (it won't happen but I'm saying there's a chance)

Could you please provide me just one game from this year that would have been meaningless, and the team would have rested starters because of a playoff.   If anything, a playoff makes more games meaningful.   Truthfully, outside of the ACC, who cared about the ACC championship?   A playoff makes that game meaningful.....right now with the BCS, that game ment basically nothing.   How much more meaningful would each and every conference game be for USF, if a chance to play for the national championship was riding on it....verses playing in one of the "other" BCS games.  In todays world, for 99% of teams, once you lose once in the season, the rest of your games are meaningless except for the fanbase of that team.....how is that good? 

Well, it depends on the system you want for the playoffs as to how meaningless the games will get.  A four team playoff wouldn't have solved the problem everyone has with Utah this year, since they were ranked 5th at the end of the regular season.  In an 8 team playoff, the SEC Championship game would have been meaningless, as Alabama and florida would have most likely still been in the group of eight.  I'm not even going to bother listing how many games would have been meaningless with a larger playoff.

Utah is in a better position now than if there was a playoff.  At least now they can claim they are the best team, and they have their 2nd undefeated season.  If there a playoff, they would get curb stomped by UF, OU, USC, or Texas.  Also, they are not being "deprived of the right" to anything, it's college football, not the 2nd amendment.

The point I'm trying to make with the playoff is how far do you go?  There is always going to be someone complaining that the system isn't fair to them.  Look at the NCAA basketball tourney.  There are those that want to expand to 128 teams.  90% of the auto bid teams to the current format are garbage, and they want to add more?  It will get to that point in college football eventually.  I'm sure there will be a playoff someday, but I don't think it will make college football  better.  It will just be more structured and regulated like the NFL (No Fun League).

An 8-team playoff is the best way to go - six BCS conference champions, one champion from WAC, MWC, MAC, C-USA, or SBC or Notre Dame, and then one at large team.  (This year Utah and Texas would have been in, not Alabama).

The problem with an 8-team playoff would be eliminating chances for 60 teams to practice and play in a bowl game.

As a college football fan, I think a playoff is better.

As a USF fan, I like the bowl system.

• Content Count:  4,738

have all the bowl games

four bcs bowl winners play a semifinal round and champ game.

easy.

have all the bowl games

four bcs bowl winners play a semifinal round and champ game.

easy.

fans won't travel well two or three weeks in a row.

there is a reason why playoff games at all levels are held in the home stadiums of the lower seeded teams, with only the championship games on neutral sites.

It works for March Madness because four or eight teams help sell tickets - not two.  Heck, even the early NIT rounds are on campuses of lower seeds.

Hard to get 10,000 to travel to the Rose Bowl then turn around and travel again the next two weeks.

Playoff games would mean no bowls.  Bowl games mean no playoffs.  Can't have both.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

An 8-team playoff is the best way to go - six BCS conference champions, one champion from WAC, MWC, MAC, C-USA, or SBC or Notre Dame, and then one at large team.  (This year Utah and Texas would have been in, not Alabama).

The problem with an 8-team playoff would be eliminating chances for 60 teams to practice and play in a bowl game.

As a college football fan, I think a playoff is better.

As a USF fan, I like the bowl system.

I like 8 teams. keep it to conference champs only though. 6 BCS conference auto bids + 2 at large conference champs. determine those by rankings or you could even have a play-in game for 4 lower ranked conference champs (+ ND) to select final 2.

play first 2 rounds at higher seeded home site. last game will be championship game at neutral site.

you can still have bowl games. those that don't make the playoffs can be assigned to the bowls. Playoff teams that are eliminated could still practice as if they are going to a bowl.

Archived