• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is it just me or is the BCS a microcosm of America?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Its really amazing to me that there is a system in place that nobody save the massive corporations , the media and the government run schools like and it flourishes. Yep, basically those three profit from a failed system that discriminates, is ineffectual and is loathed by the masses.

Schools that bye into the system, even though they may ultimately get screwed by it, because they get paid millions for playing irrelevant games and can claim membership to a club that everybody wants to join and nobody likes. No pressure and big money, good deal if you can get it. They hoard their 40 pieces of the gold all the while hoping that they are never the one who draws the short stick and left out of the big game. USC, Texas, Texas Tech are members and have a claim to the worst snubbing this year and undefeated Utah is my national champion. They play the same game as Alabama, only better, but they don't play by the same rules.

The BCS schools endorse the BCS and criticize a playoff out of the concern for education . . . . have they seen the basketball schedules that also makes them millions? How about their student athletes entrance requirements or graduation rates? They are culpable in a monopoly and a interstate fraud. They are exactly like the political partys. It may be broke but its ours and we don't want to share it. Polarize, demonize and exclude.

The news media should be leading the outrage and could have made real strides to fixing the system if they would have elected Utah champion this year. Why would they actually go out on a limb when all media, not just the ones airing the games, profit from the BCS coverage? Advertisements pay the bills and times are hard. Go along to get along. The political ads for the presidential elections poured $1 billion into the medias pockets. The BCS goes to ESPN, who coincidentally announced it will not push for a playoff, for $125 M a year. That's a lot incentive not to push for an actual decisive athletic outcome to determine a national champion.

Bowl games are a great junket for corporate sponsors huh? Buy the ads, get the package and go spend company money and write it all off. Let the actual fans sit in the nose bleed sections and let the idiots who DO pay taxes pay for the CEO's Cristal champagne and chocolate truffles. Great deal if you can get it.

All the while fans don't get what they deserve, players don't get the opportunity that they bled and sweat to earn and the system continues. You ever hear about the boiling frog story? As Americans and football fans we sit in hot water and do nothing. Change isn't coming on either front until the masses do something drastic despite what you may have been told.

Boycott BCS games, register as an independent and pray for a paradigm shift.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  246
  • Days Won:  0

Go watch the NFL if you want a "fair" playoff, the bowl system is what makes college football interesting.  I don't like the BCS, but that is because the no-name bowl system of the previous 100 years worked fine.  So what if you have a split championship every once in a while?  Does anyone care years down the road?  The problem that is screwing up college football is all the conferences.  20 years ago, there were many major D-I independents (Miami, Penn State, FSU), and no one really cared.  Now everyone has to be squeezed into a conference so that you can have a conference champion, share your bowl money, etc, ect. 

Just keep blaming the corporations and the government for all your problems though, that's the only microcosm of America that I see.  If college football was a microcosm  of America, every team would share the wealth and get a sportsmanship trophy at the end of the year.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Is the NFL playoff that fair? The 11-5 Pats why they're at home while the 8-8 Cards and 8-8 Chargers made it.

Thanks for making my point Joe, it's hard to look sarcastic on the internet when i was typing that.

Is the NFL playoff that fair? The 11-5 Pats why they're at home while the 8-8 Cards and 8-8 Chargers made it.

• Content Count:  997

Been around since 1997 but only 5 posts . . . who would use the alias big worm . . . . fails to capitalize "i" . . . . .

What is interesting about inconsequential and mostly lopsided bowl games? To each their own though, I like to watch Sunday Morning and not many people find that interesting. Yeah who cares if every once in awhile the the year ends in a tie, its a sporting event who needs a clear winner. I say we put the German judges in charge.

BTW Mr Hyperbole/Staus Quo worm I wasn't blaming them for my problems, I was blaming them for their own problems.

Sorry, I don't post much.  I usually just read topics and then try to guess what smazza will say.  All my friends call me big worm, that why I use it.

The bowl games used to be interesting, before they were stretched out over a two week period.  It was great to sit down and watch all the good games on New Years Day, and more than one of them might have some meaning.  Now it is all boiled down to 1 game, everything else is an exhibition.  I already said that I don't like the BCS either, but what's going to happen if you start down the road to a playoff?  The cool idea right now is to have a "plus one", or 4 team playoff, but what if there are two clearly superior teams, think USC - Texas rose bowl.  Eventually it is going to turn into nfl developmental league, especially when Grothe starts getting his stipend.

I'm not sure what Sunday Morning is?  Anyway, if the corporations and the schools had a problem with the system, they would change it.  They don't have a problem with it, you do.

Talk about conspiracy theories... I suppose Lee Harvey didn't act alone, that aliens really did crash at Roswell, and man never landed on the moon...

• Content Count:  1,768

How any true college football fan can be against a playoff is beyond me.  How anyone can think basing a championship off of opinions of ignorant and biased voters, over having one decided on the field of play is better is beyond me. 

We've seen what a joke the voting is (Oleary ranking UCF over USF last year as an example)...and how biased some of the coaches are towards their conference.  To leave such a great competitive sport up to individuals with agendas and to be happy about it, is just moronic. 

The boiling frog is a great analogy. 

I'm not saying the BCS is better than a playoff... I'm saying the motivation of corporate big wigs has nothing to do with it.

It's all about money for the schools.  If you could show them a system that gives more money than the bowl system -- top to bottom -- then the schools would switch.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Barack Ojesus will save the world by implementing a playoff system in college football!!!1

All Hail our Dear Leader, and may the gods bless the North American Union!

Archived