• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF is not and never will be

SRQ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Days Won:  0

Problem is, I think the majority of "fans" will wait for a winner to ever think of "supporting" their school or local college team.  At that point though it's hardly support, just a self-identification issue come to fruition for those bandwagon types.

TampaBaySportsFanitis

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  667

Problem is, I think the majority of "fans" will wait for a winner to ever think of "supporting" their school or local college team.  At that point though it's hardly support, just a self-identification issue come to fruition for those bandwagon types.

TampaBaySportsFanitis

Dude, that's anywhere you go.  If you don't have a history of success, you're not going to get support.  Period.  The reason why people still show up to Texas A&M games (even though they suck out loud) is because of the history of success that they've built up.  That just the nature of the beast.  Since we don't have a long history of success, we're not gonna sell out jack crap.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

I agree 100%. I drove by the intramural fields earlier in the day (around 11) and a ton of people were playing cricket and soccer. I honked my horn and my friend yelled "Basketball game at 1! Be there!" It was worth a shot.....

Honestly, I can understand that a little better. Cricket and soccer players just may not be basketball fans also .... but if you're actually playing hoops ....   :-\

Maybe the game outside was more competitive. 

I didnt go due to a flag football game.  Im glad i chose to be active rather than sitting there getting disgusted. 

• Content Count:  3,103

What's really disheartening was walking over to the soccer stadium after the first half of several basketball games earlier this year and seeing the basketball courts almost full of, I assume, students playing while their hoops team was playing a game 200 yds away. It would only take 2 hours to go over and support the Bulls but they apparently had better things to do ... I just don't get it.

I agree 100%. I drove by the intramural fields earlier in the day (around 11) and a ton of people were playing cricket and soccer. I honked my horn and my friend yelled "Basketball game at 1! Be there!" It was worth a shot.....

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

We NEED fan support at the games. Hopefully my class will be the one's to turn it around since we'll be forced to live on campus. That should pump up the student section a bit since there will be an extra few thousand living within walking distance of the Dome.

On another note, how sweet are those DoJo replica jerseys?! I picked one up today at Bulls Outfitters.

hmmmmmmmmm

i dont like this policy

freshman should always have choices

however,in 1974 i stayed in coed dorm(alpha).it was like a kid in candystore

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I've said this before.  Stan Heath's job to recruit is much tougher than Leavitt's.  For many of the reasons stated by others here.  Many Big East basketball teams have such a rich, long history.  Team that aren't top flight recently like St. Johns and Providence have some basketball history.  Maybe today's recruits aren't aware of it but at least the recruiter and give them some background on the history.

At least CJL can offer a recruit a shot at a BCS bowl game in a relatively small, weak football conference.  If a basketball kid has a choice of Villanova, Louisville, Marquette, Pitt, UConn.....  It is a real hard sell.  Tampa is full of good football players.  You can keep some great talent here and there.  But there aren't that many great basketball players being produced in this area.  So chances of keeping one of those few aren't really great.

now you sent one in my wheelhouse

leavitt has failed miserably at recruiting/usf's roster shouldbe filled with 3-5 star football players.leavitt has had 12 years to nurture relationships.he should own central florida and surrounding counties but he hasnt made a dent

It was in your wheelhouse...............and you swung and missed - again.  Good thing this Board isn't baseball 'cuz you'd be back in the dugout.

Div 1A how long smazz?  Not 12

In BCS conference how long smazz?  Not 12

If each year USF recruits 2 or 3 add'l 3 - 5 star recruits, in about 10 years they should be loaded with them.  I know you don't have the patience for that.  And although I'd like to see more success sooner rather than later, if in 10 years they have a roster that even remotely resembles UF or other big time programs I'd be happy with that.

If it were that easy to recruit those guys every Div 1 school would be loaded.  Well maybe not, because each team would have one guy from the Top 119 recruits each year. 

home run ----SMAZZA

LEAVITT  has been coach 12 years.he should be intimately familar with every player in the area.his failure to recruit top players at any level is inexcusable

you are just making excuses

how long does he have to be here?

you and other leavitt supporters dont get it---------THE TOP PLAYERS,THE ELITE PLAYERS DONT LIKE LEAVITT AND /OR THE SYSTEM WE RUN.THAT IS WHY TTHEY DONT COME TO USF

LEAVITT  isnt a good salesman

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Alright, let's keep this thread limited to how we'll never be (or might be) successful in basketball...  :(

:ROFLMAO

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

HA. until this team starts winning dont get your hopes up

I think this is the demographic we're missing.  As a season ticket holder in Tampa, I went to every game...Those were the Greenie years mostly.  A little better than now, but not much.  I attended nearly every home game under Paschal too as a student/walkup mostly.

i agree with you. unfortunately thats how all fans in tampa are of all tampa sport teams. when they lose, no one attends, but when they start winning, everyone comes.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

I've said this before.  Stan Heath's job to recruit is much tougher than Leavitt's.  For many of the reasons stated by others here.  Many Big East basketball teams have such a rich, long history.  Team that aren't top flight recently like St. Johns and Providence have some basketball history.  Maybe today's recruits aren't aware of it but at least the recruiter and give them some background on the history.

At least CJL can offer a recruit a shot at a BCS bowl game in a relatively small, weak football conference.  If a basketball kid has a choice of Villanova, Louisville, Marquette, Pitt, UConn.....  It is a real hard sell.  Tampa is full of good football players.  You can keep some great talent here and there.  But there aren't that many great basketball players being produced in this area.  So chances of keeping one of those few aren't really great.

now you sent one in my wheelhouse

leavitt has failed miserably at recruiting/usf's roster shouldbe filled with 3-5 star football players.leavitt has had 12 years to nurture relationships.he should own central florida and surrounding counties but he hasnt made a dent

It was in your wheelhouse...............and you swung and missed - again.  Good thing this Board isn't baseball 'cuz you'd be back in the dugout.

Div 1A how long smazz?  Not 12

In BCS conference how long smazz?  Not 12

If each year USF recruits 2 or 3 add'l 3 - 5 star recruits, in about 10 years they should be loaded with them.  I know you don't have the patience for that.  And although I'd like to see more success sooner rather than later, if in 10 years they have a roster that even remotely resembles UF or other big time programs I'd be happy with that.

If it were that easy to recruit those guys every Div 1 school would be loaded.  Well maybe not, because each team would have one guy from the Top 119 recruits each year. 

home run ----SMAZZA

LEAVITT  has been coach 12 years.he should be intimately familar with every player in the area.his failure to recruit top players at any level is inexcusable

you are just making excuses

how long does he have to be here?

you and other leavitt supporters dont get it---------THE TOP PLAYERS,THE ELITE PLAYERS DONT LIKE LEAVITT AND /OR THE SYSTEM WE RUN.THAT IS WHY TTHEY DONT COME TO USF

LEAVITT  isnt a good salesman

Another life lesson for you, young Luke.

Let's say you are a 16 year old football player in Tampa.  Chances are your college football team is the team your dad rooted for.  If you are 16, even if your dad WENT to USF, he wasn't a USF football fan.  Good chance he's a FSU, UF or Miami football fan.  So as a 16 year old kid in Tampa, you grew up wanting to play for one of those schools or pretty much any school that was playing football while USF was not.

That is a tough obstacle to overcome.  The kids of the more recent grads may grow up being USF football fans.  The current generation is a tough sell.  Being familiar with the kids in the area doesn't mean they want to come here.

I guess its Leavitt's fault that there wasn't a football program until 1996.  He is the devil.  >:D  I also heard that he is responsible for the world economic crisis.

Let's turn this around.  Some other coach comes in here and gets the kids in Tampa to stay how exactly?  Promise them the Big East and a chance at a BCS?  CJL is doing that already.  The most talented players want a shot at a national title.

Yoda

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Chances are your college football team is the team your dad rooted for.

I don't buy this assumption. I don't agree with Smazza, but this assumption doesn't make a lot of sense.

Archived