• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our star QB Matt Grothe vs the Big East

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Grothe and any player/coach should be thoughtfully analyzed.  When it crosses over into unsubstantiated insults and assumptions, it's wrong.  There has been too little of the former and mostly the latter - and that is what riles up the people who tend to get bothered by threads like this.

We have some very wise and astute posters who can eloquently state their positions even if they are not flattering of the player/coach involved.  On the other hand, we have probably 10 times as many that do think they have "some right" to whatever about whoever however they wish to say it.  They don't. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

I just read this whole thread and I dont see where anyone is bashing Grothe personally. 

The problem is Grothe was thought to be the next Steve Young when he started here.  There were websites made up about him, people making dumb comparisons about him being better than Tim Tebow, lots of hope for the kid. You can even see it his demeanor he was soaking it in.  Grew the mohawk, got a job bartending at a dive location, dating cheerleaders, crap talking on the field, etc.  I think we can say most of yours and his heads got a little big, but THAT was OK.  I never bought into the hype, I saw his inadequacies as a QB from the beginning.  BUT NOW the truth and reality of the situation has come out.  He is a poor decision maker, has an average arm, misses throws all the time, ints, mistakes, loses games, etc.  But as fans we are not allowed to talk about it? 

As for the people proudly wearing teh #8 jersey, why wouldnt they?  I proudly wear my #4 Carlton Hill jersey because I am a fan of USF who made a poor decision to buy the jersey of a guy who wouldnt be starting.  Same thing might happen to the fans wearing #8 when BJ shows everyone how a  big time QB is supposed to win and play like. 

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

Grothe and any player/coach should be thoughtfully analyzed.  When it crosses over into unsubstantiated insults and assumptions, it's wrong.  There has been too little of the former and mostly the latter - and that is what riles up the people who tend to get bothered by threads like this.

We have some very wise and astute posters who can eloquently state their positions even if they are not flattering of the player/coach involved.  On the other hand, we have probably 10 times as many that do think they have "some right" to whatever about whoever however they wish to say it.  They don't. 

i agree there should be a discussion.  but seriously, there is a new thread once the last one is off the first page of the board

a six page(or more) thread is floating around about Matt and the color Orange.

ridonkulous

• Content Count:  1,894

I don't understand how being the best qb we have ever had makes him off limits for talking about how he has no arm, or accuracy, and throws picks like he plays for the other team. Being the best qb we've ever had means he put up better stats then the lesser caliber players in our short past. This is not my logic but the same logic of anyone who believes we shouldn't be further than we are in recruiting. He won 9 games as many other qb's do, but hasn't won us a championship so he can't be immune to hearing about mistakes. So, in the end he took us to a few bowl games, Julmiste took us to one too, but we all know how he is treated. So why is Matt different, he won some big games? but lost some easy ones...he makes some HUGE plays? but comes up missing on the easy passes...evades some sure sacks?..but gives up ones that cost us any chance to a fg or a first down....He is a medicore qb, and he has lead us to some bowl games but honestly everyone here respects what he has done. Everyone here will look back at him and say he was one of our better players, but we should be going to bowl games, and I would like to think that he isn't the best out there, he isn't the qb we look back and say man I wish I had him back because he has shown us what to expect and personally I'm ready to see what BJ has and move in a new direction.

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

oh goody another thread bashing Matt...... anyone who says Matt doesnt care is a true dumb A s s and an idiot.

flip -- ignore the morons on this board. For all the negative whiners that complain about everything there a thousands of fans that will continue to wear their #8 jerseys proudly.

I agree whole heartedly.  Anyone who can say that Matt hasn't given 110% every game is watching through another part of their body- the part they usually sit on!

• Content Count:  1,037

I don't understand how being the best qb we have ever had makes him off limits for talking about how he has no arm, or accuracy, and throws picks like he plays for the other team. Being the best qb we've ever had means he put up better stats then the lesser caliber players in our short past. This is not my logic but the same logic of anyone who believes we shouldn't be further than we are in recruiting. He won 9 games as many other qb's do, but hasn't won us a championship so he can't be immune to hearing about mistakes. So, in the end he took us to a few bowl games, Julmiste took us to one too, but we all know how he is treated. So why is Matt different, he won some big games? but lost some easy ones...he makes some HUGE plays? but comes up missing on the easy passes...evades some sure sacks?..but gives up ones that cost us any chance to a fg or a first down....He is a medicore qb, and he has lead us to some bowl games but honestly everyone here respects what he has done. Everyone here will look back at him and say he was one of our better players, but we should be going to bowl games, and I would like to think that he isn't the best out there, he isn't the qb we look back and say man I wish I had him back because he has shown us what to expect and personally I'm ready to see what BJ has and move in a new direction.

Going into this year MG was CLEARLY the best QB we had. Everyone thought this would be the year where he would prove he has progressed from his freshman year. He clearly has not made much progress since his freshman year. Next year I believe BJ may have a chance at some playing time but that is next year, no need to talk about that now.

I don't mind this thread because if you go to any other teams message board you would see the same thing. The QB always gets this kind of attention, especially when they are playing bad. MG gives 100% effort every game, that should not be questioned. He's helped build our program...

Our record at the beginning of the year was 5-0 because MG was making good decisions. In the NC state game he completed 15 passes in a row! And it seems that in conference play he progressively gets worse as the season continues, and the stats reflect that. I hope BJ plays in conference games next year.

• Content Count:  1,894

I concur..but what is so hard about next year is...wht if he startd out good again?..now he messes up in conference and then its too late to use your young qb. I would rather go through growing pains of a new young qb again then to do this all over again.

I don't think he is off limits but it is a little ridiculous that we have a new thread every day about it.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I just read this whole thread and I dont see where anyone is bashing Grothe personally. 

Either you're lying about reading the whole thread or we have a different opinion of what "bashing Grothe personally" entails:

I think there are a lot of reasons.

To name a few:

• Coaching is obviously not helping
  • Trying to keep a scrambler in the pocket
  • Greg Gregory
  • Leavitt not making the tough decisions and sticking with loyalty
  • matt not caring

Archived