• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Have we ever "developed" an offensive player

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

The answer to your question is NO!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,667
  • Days Won:  29

I think this is a silly subject ... it's gonna be a long off-season.

:Bang

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

this is a serious question about the staffs ability to take raw talent and create a disciplined football player with a better skill set than when they arrived.

you must be confusing this thread with the silly "Pride vs. Proud" thread

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

This thread asks a serious question that really does deserve some discussion seeing the lack of progression any of our skill positions players have shown in recent seasons.  If you don't like discussions like this either don't click on them or petition brad to create a happy fun time sunshine and puppies board for you. Or maybe you could take a break from the board in the off season since you think it's going to be "a long one". 

This thread asks a serious question that really does deserve some discussion seeing the lack of progression any of our skill positions players have shown in recent seasons.  If you don't like discussions like this either don't click on them or petition brad to create a happy fun time sunshine and puppies board for you. Or maybe you could take a break from the board in the off season since you think it's going to be "a long one".   

happy happy puppies sunshine up my ass forum----I 2nd

• Content Count:  4,501

Many - What is your standard for developing a player ?

Taking an unknown or 1 or 2 star player and having him line up against those 3,4 and 5 star player and hold their own ?  Yes

Going to the NFL and becoming a star ?    Not yet

Are these top 20 recruiting class you are asking about ?  None of those yet.

I would say we have had more success with defensive players so far.

Would you rather be UCF and be able to talk about Daunte Culpepper ?

Many - What is your standard for developing a player ?

Taking an unknown or 1 or 2 star player and having him line up against those 3,4 and 5 star player and hold their own ?   Yes

Going to the NFL and becoming a star ?    Not yet

Are these top 20 recruiting class you are asking about ?   None of those yet.

I would say we have had more success with defensive players so far.

Would you rather be UCF and be able to talk about Daunte Culpepper ?

i dont think the starpower of the recruiting class has anything to do with it.

Selvie is a great example.  Taking raw athletic ability and giving that play a skillset that he did not have before.  People are saying Hall and Rubin.  Maybe those are examples, maybe not.  were they better players when they left, or the same, or worse?  how much better?  I see that development on defense.  Offense not so much

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Its really a rhetorical question because we have yet to have a standout player on offense.  Funny how not one person has brought up anyone that I can agree with. 

I can definitely come up with a few that have regressed.  Most obvious being Matt Grothe, Amari Jackson, Ben Williams, Mike Ford, etc. etc.  guys who had either tremendous credentials and upside when they started here and turned out getting worse.  How is that even possible? 

Good question but doesnt need to be answered, real fans know our offense has been dismal since the beginning. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,064
  • Days Won:  469

Marquel was a far better player when he left.  He started as a scrambler and developed into a leader, smart quarterback and almost error-free game day performances.

I think some would argue Huey Whittaker was developed by the staff, as well as most of our average recruits.

Some might also include Hugh Smith and his change in positions from RB to WR.  Record setter as I recall.

I think the premise is a little misleading.  I could be wrong, but I think it's a lot easier to develop a defensive player than an offensive skill player - which is the only kind you would take note of.  Just as we have seen quarterbacks turned to safeties, you don't see a lot of safeties turned into quarterbacks. 

For Selvie, he was moved to defense after being "recruited" as a center....he played defense in high school and was second team all-state.

Archived