• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Have we ever "developed" an offensive player

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

On defense we clearly have taken talent and made it better (Selvie was a gangly one-star center).  Have we done the same with an offensive player?  Or do we just "plug and play" with what we recruit?

What offensive player have we developed?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  667
  • Days Won:  0

On defense we clearly have taken talent and made it better (Selvie was a gangly one-star center).  Have we done the same with an offensive player?  Or do we just "plug and play" with what we recruit?

I think it might be more of a plug and play strategy.  That's why Leavitt has strong ties to JUCO programs and accepts a lot of transfers.  They are all kinda just inserted in there.  At least on offense, outside of QB, I think we rotate our positions way too much (RB's and WR's mostly) and we don't get them into a rhythm.  I like how Pitt has McCoy as the designated starting RB, UCONN has Donald Brown, and RU has Kenny Britt and Tiquan Underwood as the starting WR's.  and they DONT deviate from it.  We do too much shuffling.

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

What offensive player have we developed?

kind of makes you think

it would suck to come here and not get developed at all to become a better player

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

I think it might be more of a plug and play strategy.  That's why Leavitt has strong ties to JUCO programs and accepts a lot of transfers.  They are all kinda just inserted in there.  At least on offense, outside of QB, I think we rotate our positions way too much (RB's and WR's mostly) and we don't get them into a rhythm.  I like how Pitt has McCoy as the designated starting RB, UCONN has Donald Brown, and RU has Kenny Britt and Tiquan Underwood as the starting WR's.  and they DONT deviate from it.  We do too much shuffling.

And I think that is why we will never get the top recruits with Leavitt at the helm. If you are a 5 star recruit and you come here, you will not be the go to guy. So why would anyone want to come here? Leavitt needs to learn to put the stud players in the right spots and LEAVE THEM THERE. By the way, THIS IS NOT A FLAME ON LEAVITT.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

And I think that is why we will never get the top recruits with Leavitt at the helm. If you are a 5 star recruit and you come here, you will not be the go to guy. So why would anyone want to come here? Leavitt needs to learn to put the stud players in the right spots and LEAVE THEM THERE. By the way, THIS IS NOT A FLAME ON LEAVITT.

RB rotation is controlled by Franks I'm not sure about the WR's but i wouldn't be surprised if Canales controls that as well. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,499
  • Days Won:  13

RB rotation is controlled by Franks I'm not sure about the WR's but i wouldn't be surprised if Canales controls that as well. 

Leavitt is the head coach, he has the final say

The day will come when a USF "underachiever" escapes from the platoon system and blossoms in the NFL.  Here is to hoping that player is grateful to his alma mater (Tom Brady) and not bitter (Willie Parker).

In either case, Lloyd Carr and john bunting never lived these blunders down and each is currently utterly unemployable as a head coach.

I would be lying if said i was not nervously following the career of Chad Simpson.

Lloyd Carr's finished product:

Brady2000.jpg

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

You have to like the way Hester has developed over the course of his time here.  He played as a true freshman along with Edwards and Taurus.  He understood what he needed to improve upon and redshirted his 2nd year.  he has developed into a good receiver.

Other than that, I don't recall developing the talent of any other offensive player.  

Andre Hall was a good back, but I would say that even going back to him, his talent was not developed properly and his full potential not realized.  In 2005, yes, he led the conference in rushing yards, but he also had almost 50% more carries than any other back in the conference  He was a true workhouse back.  I don't like Franks as a RB coach now and didn't then.  As many break away runs as Andre Hall had, he never finished once long run from scrimmage.  he was always caught from behind (he finished one long run on a dump off pass against Pitt).  Franks said then that Andre Hall was not conditioned well enough to finish off the long runs.  Similar statement to what he said about our backs not being conditioned well enough to run more than a few playes in a row.  Same problem, different personnel.  How come all these other teams can have their RBs conditioned well enough to finish runs or play every down?

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Leavitt is the head coach, he has the final say

In theory yes but the reality is he leaves that up to his position coaches.  I think it has something to do with him being a defensive minded coach rather than an offensive minded one.  

Archived