• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike Farrell on Eugene Smith . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

I called Mike Farrell on Rivals Radio this week and asked about Eugene Smith and the chances he comes to USF.

Farrell said USF was the team to beat, before Taj Boyd decommitted from WV.  He said WV and Doc Holliday are on Smith hard now, and have inside ties as Miramar's Coach played a WV for Doc Holliday.  Farrell now lists WV as the favorite for Smith.  He says it will come down to WV, USF, and FSU.

• Content Count:  176

For the last five years i always bring up getting a big name big time q.b. coach, Tampa is loaded with ex n.f.l. types. What do you think????

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

For the last five years i always bring up getting a big name big time q.b. coach, Tampa is loaded with ex n.f.l. types. What do you think????

It might not be too far fetched to bring in a new QB coach.

After Grant Greggory is finished this year (I doubt he'll get approved to return) I could easily see Greg moving on.  Apart from the win loss column our offense has put up some pretty amazing numbers.  Those kind of numbers will certainly get him a bigger paycheck than USF is willing to dish out.

Though, it's also possible to Greggory to ride out our offense until the transition of Grothe to the next guy.  If we get Eugine Smith and he's all that's said about him Greggory may stay.  Maybe BJ will be good enough to keep him here if we don't get Eugine.

• Content Count:  1,479

wait... so we want to keep gregory? Those high numbers at the beginning of the season were due to exceptional play by our players. Gregorys play calling is questionable most of the time

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

wait... so we want to keep gregory? Those high numbers at the beginning of the season were due to exceptional play by our players. Gregorys play calling is questionable most of the time

All I'm saying is that on paper Greggory looks good.  He'll make more somewhere else.

As for what we should do keep him or otherwise.  I don't know.  Woolard and Leavitt can discuss that.  If they plan on giving the assistants major raises again I'd say shop around (which they will regardless).  With more cash on hand they may be able snag a good coach.  otherwise keep him here.  He may not be the best play caller, but there's no reason to downgrade.

We'd need a guy that can run a spread offense.  Otherwise we'll be throwing Grothe's senior season down the drain.  If we're looking at a radical change to go with a much improved coordinator it will have to be for rebuilding after Grothe.  Look at Michigan and Auburn.  Even with talent changing your game plan can cripple you.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

All I'm saying is that on paper Greggory looks good.  He'll make more somewhere else.

As for what we should do keep him or otherwise.  I don't know.  Woolard and Leavitt can discuss that.  If they plan on giving the assistants major raises again I'd say shop around (which they will regardless).  With more cash on hand they may be able snag a good coach.  otherwise keep him here.  He may not be the best play caller, but there's no reason to downgrade.

We'd need a guy that can run a spread offense.  Otherwise we'll be throwing Grothe's senior season down the drain.  If we're looking at a radical change to go with a much improved coordinator it will have to be for rebuilding after Grothe.  Look at Michigan and Auburn.  Even with talent changing your game plan can cripple you.

I think we need to go to a major bowl before we can justify paying significantly more for a top notch OC.

Its one of those chicken or egg scenarios.

Had we found a way to win the big east, the pay day would have been huge.  And then, we'd have plenty of money for coaches, equipment, buildings, etc.

The collapse could relegate us to a bowl with garbage for pay out.  Then any raises our coaching pool might get will be minimal. 

Kinda sucks... but it is what it is.

• Content Count:  622

Front of FlaVarsity:

Big Weekend For Geno

Four-star quarterback Eugene (Gino) Smith returned from West Virginia Sunday with "my eyes opened," he said, following a weekend excursion where he and two other Miramar (Fla.) teammates took in the sights and sounds of Mountaineer football.

I am not a member so I don't have the whole story. At least WVU lost.. lol

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Word is that Geno and teammate Steadman Bailey committed to West Virginia today. 

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

what a mistake by this kid. he would rather become a coal miner and play in a city that has nothing instead of living and playing in a city that is above and beyond anything morgantown will ever be

usf coaches didnt do their job

• Content Count:  5,241

Im kinda surprised we were in the running at all, with BJ Daniels already being dubbed the future

Archived