• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ranked Coaches Salaries comparison

college football isnt your local dunkin donuts franchise.

Didn't Leavitt get half of the Under Armour contract? Probably could have insisted that go toward assistant pool instead.

Maybe he figured he deserved it since he doubles as "special teams coach."

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

Jim Leavitt USF $1.5M 2nd in BE

#3 PSU (9-0) Joe Pa $1.5M

#9 OSU (7-1) Mike Gundy $1.05M

#10 Utah (8-0) Kyle W. $700k

#11 BSU (7-0) Chris P $900k

#13 TCU (8-1) Gary P. $1.3M

#16 Ball State (8-0) Brady H. $240k

#17 Minn (7-1) Tim B $1.0M

#18 Tulsa (8-0) Todd G. $1.1M

#20 BYU (7-1) Bronco M $650k

#21 MSU (7-2) Mark D $1.15M

Leavitt gets paid = to or more than all of these coaches. Most play in tougher conferences. If Leavitt wants more money to hire quality assistants then tell him to take it out of his own pocket. It's his responsibility to build a quality staff. Kelly and Wanstache get paid $300k less than leavitt. The guy from WVU gets paid $700k less and he did this so they could hire a quality staff of assistants.

The only one that is higher in the BE is Schiano and notice that he lost 6 assistants last year. Could it be that they are hoarding all of the cash instead of paying descent assistants??

Please quit complaining of our restrained budget and realize that our limited coaching dollars go straight to the top.

leavitt is overpaid

college football isnt your local dunkin donuts franchise.

Didn't Leavitt get half of the Under Armour contract? Probably could have insisted that go toward assistant pool instead.

Maybe he figured he deserved it since he doubles as "special teams coach."

he should be fired a special teams coach

he is terrible

and usf's special teams are terrible

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Don't give me the "Leavitt deseves the money because he built this program from hours  of wotk BS.

Leavitt deserves everything he has, but it's not like coaches at other schools aren't working just as hard.

Leavitt makes PLENTY, yet his assistants are still paid like crap...

Actually just about every coach at all other schools have been handed a program already in progress and have NOT had to put in the work Leavitt has. At THIS juncure, yes he is on level footing as the rest but he has had to do one heck of a lot more with far less resources at his disposal in order to get us here. Either that has been forgotten or fans are just too new to the program to have experienced the earlier days.

I have been here since day 1. I have donated and bought tickets since day 1. I understand the risk he took by taking this job. I also understand that his salary has increased far greater on a percentage basis than his assistants have and, collectively, they have done just as much through the years as he has. He didn't do it on his own.

Again there needs to be some balance between what he makes (2nd highest in BE, 35 in college football) and what his assistants make(near the bottom) or he wll eventually be fired. He doesn't have anything to do with the offense and I think as a person responsible for it he might want to bring in somebody more qualified. after all his job is on the line too.

Couple things...

first...contractor paying 1/5 vs 1/10th...that guy isn't giving up his money. He's not going to say well, I could make 1.5 million with bad workers, or I could make 750k with good workers. Thats a no brainer for him. If youre talking about one pool of money, thats what your asking here, don't be stupid.

second... Sure, CJLs staff is paid relatively low. Most of them are nobodies using this job to spring into another job. Wally is paid pretty well. The rest haven't been here very long. After 12 years of tenure, you should be making exponentially more than the OC you hired last year. If Canales had stayed at OC after the 2002 season, or Kravitz had stayed on the staff, they would be making more than the people in those positions today. Its easier to lobby for more money for people if they stick around for a while.

third...you could probably find a decent grad assistant that would be a better OC than Gregory. Again, I would suggest bringing Marquel Blackwell back.

Please don't be stupid yourself.

Great let's bring MB back. Brilliant solution. does he even run his high school offense? We want a high school coach to run a BCS offense???

By the way a contractor is paid a certain amount of money to do a particular job. The more he saves on employing people to do that job, the more goes into his pocket. So yes, it does come from a set pool of money and yes he determines what quality of workers he will hire to do the job.

The less he pays, the more he makes. The less he pays, the lower quality of workers he will get. Sound familiar?

Leavitt is given a pool of money for coaches salaries. He decides how much he wants to spend on his employees and then he keeps the rest. He chooses to pay crap so that is exactly what he gets. Of course, he gets a fat paycheck for himself in the end. Leavitt doesn't hire away from successful programs in lower divisions or conferences.

He gets guys that have been fired or are out of football all together to fill his vacancies. That's why they are nobodies. That's like a contractor hiring unemployed workers that have been fired for poor results instead of paying more and getting guys that are good at what they do.

I have been here since day 1. I have donated and bought tickets since day 1. I understand the risk he took by taking this job. I also understand that his salary has increased far greater on a percentage basis than his assistants have and, collectively, they have done just as much through the years as he has. He didn't do it on his own.

Then I'll put you in the "forgotten" bucket, since you have been here since day 1 then you obviously realize that just about none of them has been here over the majority of years and therefore have in fact NOT collectively done as much as Leavitt has.

Again there needs to be some balance between what he makes (2nd highest in BE, 35 in college football) and what his assistants make(near the bottom) or he wll eventually be fired. He doesn't have anything to do with the offense and I think as a person responsible for it he might want to bring in somebody more qualified. after all his job is on the line too.

why? I have yet to hear any good reason why there needs to be a "balance" in pay in any walk of life other than it was earned. Leavitt has been here longer and done more and in the end has EARNED a significantly higher salary. Now since you are the business master how well do you think it would go over to ask your most tenured and hardest working employees to cut their pay once they are making high salaries after years of being underpaid?

btw, this whole 2nd highest in BE is a bunch of crap, why not just look at the coaches, WVU coach...year 1, Louisville coach...year 2 both have taken a high powered program significantly backwards. Cinci coach...year 2, Pitt coach year 3 (maybe 4, can't recall offhand). Only Edsel and Schiano deserve to be anywhere near Leavitt in salary and do we even need to put Syracuse into the conversation?

obviously you have no idea what collectively means. leavitt has always had assistants and collectively,regardless of name, they have done just as much as Leavitt to build this program. Maybe if their salaries grew exponentially like Leavitt's, then they would still be here. Maybe Kravitz left because he saw Leavitt getting 200% increases in the coaches salary pool  and would only pass down fractions of that to his assistants while his salary grew?

I guess leavitt has done so much for this program by himself that he should just fire all the assistants and do everything himself. He can keep the whole $3M salary pool, right? maybe the longer he stays, the less the assistants should be paid?

So, you are for wealth distribution?

I jest....

Definitely sounds like the philosophy of an Obama supporter....  Lets tax the 5% who are already paying 50% of taxes, a little more....

But then I can save that for the Mad Cow Lounge...  :-)

this is uncalled for

I jest....

Definitely sounds like the philosophy of an Obama supporter....  Lets tax the 5% who are already paying 50% of taxes, a little more....

no it actually sounds like a smart business man.

If I'm a contractor and respect my business and expect to produce quality work do I go out and hire the cheapest labor I can find and pay them 1/10th what I make?

Or do i go out and find quality workers and pay them 1/5th of what I make and have them do a much better job for me thereby increasing the value of my business in the long run?

you guys aren't very bright are you? Would you be happy if leavitt hired a High school OC and paid him $75k or a guy like UF OC and paid him $290k? Do you think you get better work for higher pay?

Trust me, I know a hell of a lot more about business than you do, by the appearance of your logic.  

Leavitt is not the owner, only a paid employee and manager.  He can lobby the CEO/President for more pay for people, but he should not have to suggest a cut for himself because the rest of the company is not paid well.  Again, think Obama.  Lets take from the rich and give it to the poor.  I like french fries as much as the next guy, but I am not giving up $10 an hour so the fry cook can make more money.  I'll stop eating fries first.  

And the business owner is the person with all of the risk.  He has to have insurance, meet overhead, provide admin/support costs and responsibilties, pay for electricity, etc...    The workers, while they shoudl be rewarded for success, are merely workers and do not bear as much risk as the ceo/president/owner.   Leavitt is the COO.  Not the CEO nor the CFO.   Those tasks are for others.  Certainly as COO he should ask for more pay this year based on the lack luster results from the OC, but if the CFO says there is no budget, then there is no budget...  

Hell, I would work for free and give everyone who works for me a raise, and make them delighted, and maybe even bring on more talent, but I'd tell you that you are out of your fricken mind if you asked me to do so.....  

leavitt got his at the expense of the program

leavitt is overpaid

I jest....

no it actually sounds like a smart business man.

If I'm a contractor and respect my business and expect to produce quality work do I go out and hire the cheapest labor I can find and pay them 1/10th what I make?

Or do i go out and find quality workers and pay them 1/5th of what I make and have them do a much better job for me thereby increasing the value of my business in the long run?

you guys aren't very bright are you? Would you be happy if leavitt hired a High school OC and paid him $75k or a guy like UF OC and paid him $290k? Do you think you get better work for higher pay?

Trust me, I know a hell of a lot more about business than you do, by the appearance of your logic.  

Leavitt is not the owner, only a paid employee and manager.  He can lobby the CEO/President for more pay for people, but he should not have to suggest a cut for himself because the rest of the company is not paid well.  Again, think Obama.  Lets take from the rich and give it to the poor.  I like french fries as much as the next guy, but I am not giving up $10 an hour so the fry cook can make more money.  I'll stop eating fries first.  

And the business owner is the person with all of the risk.  He has to have insurance, meet overhead, provide admin/support costs and responsibilties, pay for electricity, etc...    The workers, while they shoudl be rewarded for success, are merely workers and do not bear as much risk as the ceo/president/owner.   Leavitt is the COO.  Not the CEO nor the CFO.   Those tasks are for others.  Certainly as COO he should ask for more pay this year based on the lack luster results from the OC, but if the CFO says there is no budget, then there is no budget...  

Hell, I would work for free and give everyone who works for me a raise, and make them delighted, and maybe even bring on more talent, but I'd tell you that you are out of your fricken mind if you asked me to do so.....  

leavitt got his at the expense of the program

leavitt is overpaid

That's exactly right. Leavitt got his at the expense of the program and these people are so blinded by him that they can't see that. Take Ok State for example. gundy makes $1.05M per year. Does anybody believe he makes 10 times what his OC makes like Leavitt does?

I doubt it. I bet he makes about 4 times his OC and look how successful they are. We probably have similar salary pools.

Leavitt hired a guy that was in real estate for 10 years to coach our defense. Why/ because he is cheap. He hired gregory off the unemployment line. Why? Because he is cheap.

He wants to save money on assistants so he can make more.

• Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

just looking for consistancy.

good money, good talent high paid coach, should equal consistant good product on the field!

Archived