• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BJ Daniels

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Was going to put this in on of the bash Grothe threads, but decided it deserved it's own...

I fear that BJ Daniels will be the first Bull to really feel hatred from the fans. "We" have built him up so much that there is absolutely no way he can live up to the hype. If he doesn't outplay Grothe immediately, fans are going to hate him. People already talk about Grothe like he is Pat Julmiste or Ronnie Banks. Grothe has put this program on his shoulders and taken us to new heights.

I have a very bad feeling that this is going to turn into a Fiedler replacing Marino situation. Fans in Miami hated Jay Fiedler. The guy came in and replaced a legend, consistently won games, but it wasn't good enough for the fans.

No one here has seen BJ in meaningful action at this level, and "we" have decided that he is better than Grothe. Sure, he probably has more God-given ability, but that doesn't equate to better production. For the next 18 games, I am going to hope that Matt Grothe stays healthy, and just enjoy watching him play.

Too often sports fans are looking ahead to what they think will be better, and they forget to enjoy what they have. Matt Grothe is truly an amazing football player to watch, and we as Bulls fans may not get to see anyone better for a long time. We need to enjoy the rest of this season and next.

We should always be optimistic, but from reading this board, there are more people looking forward to BJ taking over for MG than people looking forward to Quenton Washington taking over for Roberts. There are seriously several threads talking about how our best offensive player should be benched for an untested freshman.

I realize that it is a part of being a sports fan, but it makes me sick, and I hope that BJ turns out as good as everyone is predicting because if he stumbles, this board, and subsequently our fan base is going to eat him alive. I can't imagine the pressure this kid will be facing when he takes the field at the swamp. Biggest game in our history probably (unless we go to a BCS game this year or next), replacing a legend, and a hostile environment. I don't envy him a bit.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

Fielder? eeww i just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

• Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

Good post, Orlando.  It really amazes me to see how some on this board bash Grothe.  The guy has been amazing since day one.  Sure, he isn't perfect, but no one is. 

I am excited about seeing the day BJ takes over, but I plan to enjoy the remaining year and a half of watching Matt.

Orlando, realize that most fans just dont get it.  It's a shame that we have to wade through the trash on this Board to get to the people that have a clue, but I guess that's a reflection of society, as evidenced in this election year.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Was going to put this in on of the bash Grothe threads, but decided it deserved it's own...

I fear that BJ Daniels will be the first Bull to really feel hatred from the fans. "We" have built him up so much that there is absolutely no way he can live up to the hype. If he doesn't outplay Grothe immediately, fans are going to hate him. People already talk about Grothe like he is Pat Julmiste or Ronnie Banks. Grothe has put this program on his shoulders and taken us to new heights.

I have a very bad feeling that this is going to turn into a Fiedler replacing Marino situation. Fans in Miami hated Jay Fiedler. The guy came in and replaced a legend, consistently won games, but it wasn't good enough for the fans.

No one here has seen BJ in meaningful action at this level, and "we" have decided that he is better than Grothe. Sure, he probably has more God-given ability, but that doesn't equate to better production. For the next 18 games, I am going to hope that Matt Grothe stays healthy, and just enjoy watching him play.

Too often sports fans are looking ahead to what they think will be better, and they forget to enjoy what they have. Matt Grothe is truly an amazing football player to watch, and we as Bulls fans may not get to see anyone better for a long time. We need to enjoy the rest of this season and next.

We should always be optimistic, but from reading this board, there are more people looking forward to BJ taking over for MG than people looking forward to Quenton Washington taking over for Roberts. There are seriously several threads talking about how our best offensive player should be benched for an untested freshman.

I realize that it is a part of being a sports fan, but it makes me sick, and I hope that BJ turns out as good as everyone is predicting because if he stumbles, this board, and subsequently our fan base is going to eat him alive. I can't imagine the pressure this kid will be facing when he takes the field at the swamp. Biggest game in our history probably (unless we go to a BCS game this year or next), replacing a legend, and a hostile environment. I don't envy him a bit.

One question:

Why are you even taking ANY post about replacing Grothe seriously?

No offense here, but you just wasted what....twenty minutes of your life with that novel of a post explaining why Grothe is good?  Seems to me some are calling for the benching of Grothe just to get a rise out of some other posters, and the others that may genuinely feel that way -- I doubt much of anything is going to change their minds.

But alas....'tis a message board after all.  

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

When did Prince Fielder play football for the Dolphins? ;^)

• Content Count:  2,478

I'm not too worried about this. In the few drives that he played during the TN Martin game he showed he had the potential to be better than Grothe if given time. He place his passes beautifully and juked multiple guys clean out of their cleats.

He will do fine as long as the Coaching Staff gives him a chance to do what makes him so special

• Content Count:  1,757

If Gregory insists on abandoning the run and sticking with these 5-reciever formations, then let's go ahead and put BJ in the game now.  Spreading the field doesn't do much when the DB's know they can all but ignore any reciever 25 yards past the line of scrimmage. 

This is not a bash of Grothe, but a bash at Gregory.  You have to play to your own team strengths and weaknesses.  Unfortunately the long-ball is not Grothe's strength.  His strength is his mobility, running capability and short-to-mid range passes.  You cannot expect him to do the impossible. 

It's not like the run wasn't there, it's that they just abandoned it completely. 

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I fear that BJ Daniels will be the first Bull to really feel hatred from the fans.

Nah.  This group feels hatred for every player on the team that steps on the field.  Jenkins and Williams were criticized nearly every week the last two years.  They look pretty good now, don't they?  The fan base here really needs to mature.

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

I presume you weren't around to watch Pat Julmiste or Ronnie Banks.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I presume you weren't around to watch Pat Julmiste or Ronnie Banks.

I was around, and those guys had it rough, but neither was heralded as being the second coming of Tim Tebow himself. Everyone expected a dropoff of sorts after Marquel graduated. People are actually expecting arguably the best QB in our history to leave and the replacement actually be a huge upgrade.

I guess my wording wasn't the best, players have been hated, but I fear that the issue is going to be that Daniels gets turned on because expectations are unrealistic, and no matter how many games he wins, it won't be enough.

Archived