• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Calling for JL's head?-Your Thoughts??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

What is there to discuss?

We lost one game.

If this is still happening in two years then we can discuss a change until then there is no reason to believe that Leavitt will not continue to grow this program.

You guys are funny, one bad loss and you are ready to jump off the skyway. Let me fill you in on a little secret, until we can have two or three bluechippers at evey position these high and low cycles are going to continue. All programs go through them except for the very elite and even then they have bad losses.

Thanks for the laughs...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

again I have to say...don't keep lumping us all into the "fire leavitt" categry  >:(

seems bullonly and suspense are the ONLY ones that are targeting leavitt.

All I can say to suspense is that well....how can we not look into the past to form this opinion? You are looking at the past to point out the problems same as others are using it to point out the positives, not sure what else anyone can look at. Truth is that in the past Leavitt HAS done a terriffic job so there is no reason that I can see to say he can't take us further. However on the other hand the offense has been terrible in the past and on the same note I don't see how this group can take us to the top when they struggle against the lesser competition. This has nothing to do with blue chippers since were talking about competition that is in the same boat as we are and in many cases much worse shape. My only concern over Leavitt, which is also something I admire (**** ironic isn't it?) is that I worry he has so much loyalty that he will have a tough time replacing some coaches that need replacing. Cyber, this talk is not from one game...these rumblings have been going on even when MB was here about the offensive scheme/plays/play calling and after last years fiasco it was expected something would be fixed in the offseason. It wasn't and now people are just pissed that something which was blatently obvious wasn't addressed. People also point out the lack of blame on defense when they were responsible for the loss of this game. IMO the defense has been awesome for years and when the team has leaned on them time after time. Now that the D needs to lean on the offense, the offense just isn't there for them. Yeah, the points were enough to win, wait we didn't win so guess they weren't enough to win at a time when we need them make up the difference for us.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  127

I'm not happy with everything the team is doing on offense but PLEASE look at the changes we've made thus far this year.   We actually do line up not in a spread formation alot now, it used to be only on the goal line.  We actually have a RB that can run thru a hole and carry some defenders.  We do have open receivers and the play action is working.

But you have to remember that the players and coaches are all learning a new system.  They have been taught this spread circus offense from the get go and now that JL FINALLY realizes he does not have the horses to run it, they are changing but it takes time.  Remember JL came from the circus headquarters of KState where they have run this offense forever but they also have the horses to do so.  We had one fine stallion two years ago but remember it to him time to learn how to run the mile and a half.  PJ is learning and JL is learning and unfortunately the entire team is still learning.

This is not going to be a great year but they are at least changing the offense to match the personel.  Just think if we lined up in a normal 2 back, 1 TE, 2 WR formation last year PJ would be further along and I would venture to guess that Ronnie "The Tree" Banks would have done fine.  "The Tree" has a better arm and touch but HE IS NOT A SPREAD QB, he can't read 4 WR's.  But give him a running game and play action he would be moving the ball and giving the D some rest.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

What is there to discuss?

We lost one game.

If this is still happening in two years then we can discuss a change until then there is no reason to believe that Leavitt will not continue to grow this program.

You guys are funny, one bad loss and you are ready to jump off the skyway. Let me fill you in on a little secret, until we can have two or three bluechippers at evey position these high and low cycles are going to continue. All programs go through them except for the very elite and even then they have bad losses.

Thanks for the laughs...

Actually, we've lost three games -- two of which we should have won.  We also lost games last year that we should have one -- UAB comes to mind.

I think CJL deserves to stay, but he is not perfect.  He can only do so much, which is why he relies on his assistant coaches to carry a lot of the load... Finding the right mix of coaches is the same as finding the right mix of athletes...

People on this thread are saying that CJL deserves all the credit for past successes BUT deserves none of the blame for the current failures.  That is a problem for me.

I believe CJL can prepare us for success - this year and in the Big East - but I think he needs to re-examine his staff decisions.

Perhaps we are simply finding out that CJL has feet of clay.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

agreed, the offense has made some improvements this year. I am especially happy about going away from the shotgun so much and in particular that rediculously ineffective shotgun handoff disaster they call a play. At the same time I am not convinced that there is enough change to justify keeping them around. My concern isn't only the scheme and playcalling which I still think is faaaaaaar from effective even though improved, but more that I am afraid they just don't have it in them to teach these athletes the proper fundamentals and game preparation necessary in order to compete at the highest levels. That is just my opinion though and it has absolutely zero to do with this army game, instead it is how I've felt even 3 or 4 years ago and this last game was just one of the many games that brings this feeling on (of course each and every game just builds and it gets worse and worse as time goes by.) Also, to revisit the "we scored enough to win" argument. We basically have decided that our passing attack is so innefective that all we have left is to run. We run the QB and we run Hall, yes it is smart that they have noticed this and have gone with what works BUT we will never have a top knotch offense without balance. With MB all that worked was him touching the ball and running around until something worked and the running game was terrible, last year nothing worked and this year handing off to Hall is the only thing that is working. We can not continue to have an offense with no fundamentals and terrible execution that relies on one person to carry it. One person will not have perfect games every time out and what happens if that person get hurt or when they graduate? Do we then just cross our fingers that we'll get another ONE player to cover up all the issues we have? No, everyone is entitled to their opinion and it is mine that Leavitt (on the backs of a great defense) has taken us to a point where our offensive coaches are out of their league. Maybe you don't see it this way but I am actually praising Leavitt at the same time as expressing concern for our offense.

Actually, we've lost three games -- two of which we should have won.  We also lost games last year that we should have one -- UAB comes to mind.

I think CJL deserves to stay, but he is not perfect.  He can only do so much, which is why he relies on his assistant coaches to carry a lot of the load... Finding the right mix of coaches is the same as finding the right mix of athletes...

People on this thread are saying that CJL deserves all the credit for past successes BUT deserves none of the blame for the current failures.  That is a problem for me.

I believe CJL can prepare us for success - this year and in the Big East - but I think he needs to re-examine his staff decisions.

Perhaps we are simply finding out that CJL has feet of clay.

No....we only lost ONE game on Saturday. They don't add a couple extra games to the loss column and take away our charter for losing to Army.

Look I have been critical of some of his decisions but with the track record he put together at USF he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Instead we have these "yahoos" that can't wait to send him packing after a couple of games.

He deserves our loyalty and support b/c I doubt USF football would be where its at without him at the helm.

Another thing that people forget is the impact of making about making wholesale changes in the coaching staff. Many people are forgetting that unlike pro football, our coaches moonlight as salesmens of USF football. Many of the coaches have been mentioned have been key in recruiting players in the Broward-Dade, Tampa Bay and Panhandle. If we axe these guys now or even after the season we have effectively given up the in roads we have made in these recruiting rich areas.

In addition, you have to think of the ramifications on our current players and I'll just leave it at that...

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Jim, I feel very similar to the way you explained yourself on this issue you just articulated better than I did.  I don't hate CJL, He has obviously done an amazing job building a  program from scratch, and getting us to the Big East ect...

I was just getting fed up with the fact that anyone who criticised the coaching, were called "idiots" on one thread, or called unloyal, or given one line replies like "You don't know what you are talking about" or "CJL is doing a great job"  

Well explain it to me, a reply like that isnt going to make me second guess myself, or show that maybe I was wrong that is all I was saying, explain it.  And the whold unloyal thing really pisses me off.  I am not any less of a fan because I have a difference of opinion.  Sorry if I sounded like Bullony, but it was just aggravating me.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Look I have been critical of some of his decisions but with the track record he put together at USF he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Instead we have these "yahoos" that can't wait to send him packing after a couple of games.

Wow no sooner did I finish that last post, and Cyberbull once again reinforced my point.  Now we are "yahoos" just because we have a difference of opinion.

Wow no sooner did I finish that last post, and Cyberbull once again reinforced my point.  Now we are "yahoos" just because we have a difference of opinion.

Criticism is one thing, calling for the man's job while he is trying to rebuild is another. If you cannot recognize the difference then I can't help you.

In case you haven't noticed we are in the middle of another transition or rebuilding stage. Different words same thing....

Many of you are letting emotion cloud your judgement b/c you obviously have not thought things through.

Let's just say we do get rid of JL....who do we bring in and how do we pay him? I can guarantee its a whole lot more than we are paying our current staff. Going rate for a quality BCS is $1.2 million plus...

Secondly, how much do we pay his staff?

If you need an answer look no further than our friends in Oviedo.

Third, are your prepared to sacrifice the in roads we have made in recruiting? Because a new staff has to start from scratch. Once again look north toward OViedo.

Finally, how long does it take for a new coach to bring in his kind of players, implement his system and start winning?

A natural follow up question is how long before the same people  that are calling for CJL's job right now will be the same one's calling for the new guys head in two years?

BTW, who do you guys suggest our next coach should be ....Jesus Christ? Does the next coach have to be perfect like him? I am just curious since some of you guys act surprised that CJL has actually made some bad decisions. What were you expecting.....perfection?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

No....we only lost ONE game on Saturday. They don't add a couple extra games to the loss column and take away our charter for losing to Army.

He deserves our loyalty and support b/c I doubt USF football would be where its at without him at the helm.

Another thing that people forget is the impact of making about making wholesale changes in the coaching staff. Many people are forgetting that unlike pro football, our coaches moonlight as salesmens of USF football. Many of the coaches have been mentioned have been key in recruiting players in the Broward-Dade, Tampa Bay and Panhandle. If we axe these guys now or even after the season we have effectively given up the in roads we have made in these recruiting rich areas.

In addition, you have to think of the ramifications on our current players and I'll just leave it at that...

Cyber...

First, your comments on this thread have made it seem as if the Army game was the only reason some of us were posting criticisms.  This was not the case.  

I was upset with the play calling after last year, but was willing to give the staff the chance to do something new this year -- then the team comes out flat against Tennessee Tech scoring only 3 offensive TDs against a I-AA team.  I hoped for a rebound against USC, but, alas, it was not to be as Hobbie called the worst game I have heard -- do we realy need to throw a 40 yard bomb on 3rd and 2?

Okay, TCU looked okay, but we could only manage 31 points in regulation against a defense that was among the worst in the country (Texas Tech scored 70)... followed that up with a game that we gave away against USM... finally, we start running like crazy against Army, but decide that wasn't good enough and tried passing ... only to watch our defense live up to the offense's reputation.

In all give games this year, play calling has been a problem ... there have been others (penalties, youth and inexperience, etc), but play calling has consistently been a source of problems... in a few instances it has directly cost the team games.  That is why I am suggesting the CJL needs to review his staff.

I have never called for Jim Leavitt's head... and will not.  He has earned the right to have down seasons... but changes should be made (Fire Mike Hobbie!)... He doesn't have to dismiss them all - heck, he could even keep Hobbie - just don't let him call the plays.  Making a change here or there could be the catalyst for improvement next year.

I'll keep my optimism that the team can rebound this year and pull out a winning season... I just hope that the play calling doesn't continue to get in the way of the team's abilities and execution.

Just my own opinion.