• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Homecoming Carnival...Sunday 10.10.2004?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Trib said the carnival was yesterday.  I didn't have a clue.  Probably wooda took the crumb snatchers but was ignorant of the fact.  >:(

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

Only new about it because of this link Mag Pie posted on Saturday:

http://ctr.usf.edu/homecoming/

The carnival with bonfire and fireworks is also tonight.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

USF's Homecoming Week Gets Off To Subdued Start

By JULIE PACE jpace@tampatrib.com

Published: Oct 11, 2004

TAMPA - The bumper cars sat idle and a lone rider took a spin on the Ferris wheel as homecoming week at the University of South Florida got off to a sluggish start.

Sunday's opening festivities, centered on a family carnival at USF's Tampa campus, competed for attention with a Tampa Bay Buccaneers game and certainly were not helped by overcast skies.

While USF has made progress in getting students more involved in activities, homecoming organizers say building school unity remains a challenge at a university with more than 41,000 students spread over four campuses.

``We're thought of as a commuter campus and that's definitely been an obstacle,'' said senior Meredith Peterson, executive director of the homecoming committee.

Peterson said the creation of a football program at USF eight years ago has helped attract more students to campus activities. But with more than half of incoming USF students living off campus, her committee has had to work at publicizing this year's events.

``We started three or four months ago, working about 15 to 20 hours a week,'' Peterson said. ``And we'll be working 40 to 50 hours this week.''

Senior LeAnn Kimbrell said homecoming has improved during her four years at USF.

``My freshman year, I didn't even hear about homecoming,'' Kimbrell said. ``Now we've gone from events with a couple hundred people to a couple thousand.''

With a large population of older and returning students, USF has tried to develop a wide variety of activities in addition to the traditional parade and football game.

Events like the family carnival are part of USF's effort to also market homecoming to the local community. Area residents said they appreciate the effort.

``But they need to publicize homecoming more because it's a nice event that really helps bring the community together,'' said Mary Jan Juan, who came to the carnival with her nieces and nephews.

While homecoming committee members are focused on building community spirit for the future, the event is also a chance for USF alumni to remember homecomings from the past.

Angela Benjamin drove from Orlando to attend the homecoming celebrations with her former classmate, Jennifer Silcott. The 1998 graduates said some of the events have changed, but they enjoy the chance to be back on campus

``Alums should definitely show up if they can,'' Benjamin said. ``It's a great chance to bring friends back together.''

USF homecoming runs through Saturday and culminates with the USF vs. Army football game at Raymond James Stadium Saturday night.

Reporter Julie Pace can be reached at (813) 259-7203.

http://tampatrib.com/floridametronews/MGBGCRV460E.html

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

i saw the fireworks going to IM football, seemed pretty long but nothing spectacular

Guest AstroBull

Saw the fireworks tonight while getting whooped in football.  Went afterwords and there some very long lines.  It was ok though.  They shut off the mechanical bull before my friend could get on it.  She was pissed.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

They shut off the mechanical bull before my friend could get on it.  She was pissed.

She shoulda headed on over to the neighborhood adult toy store then.  I'm sure the store wooda had an alternative.  :)

Guest bullman33

WHOEVER planned this years event should be fired and never allowed to plan another usf event.  Why would you have the carnival and fireworks on Sunday night, the weekend before the traditional homecoming weekend?  That was STUPID!!!!   PURE AND SIMPLE!!!

That should have taken place this Friday after the parade.  The carnival should also have been this Friday, and Saturday.  Most people think the events are closer to the weekend of the game, not the weekend before the game.  Fireworks this Friday would have been great, or even have them Sat after the game at RJS.  

USF needs to get some people who can brainstorm a little bit better.  I appreciate that these people spent a lot of hours working on the event, but cmon, do some research and figure out the best time for everything.  

We should also have some sort of concert after the football game.  I remember ucf did something like that a couple years ago, having lenny kravitz perform right after the game.  Great turnout, plus you had people who didnt usually go to the game who came out to watch and maybe jumped on board.  We could use some of the casual fan realizing how exciting our games are.  

Hopefully this will improve.  I thought the HC of 1997 was cool.  They had a lot of events over by the stadium, plus the usual aa tent and food.