• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mompremier: “I wouldn’t even know how to hit anybody right now�

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Something has to be done about all these spinal injuries. We see them so much more frequently nowadays than what we used to.

Really?  Or are we just hearing more about them lately because of some media stories?  I'd like to see some hard statistics showing a trend of increasing spinal injuries before I'd jump to that conclusion.  Between better technology in pads and helmets, as well as new rules to help prevent this type of injury, I'd be HIGHLY surprised if there is actually more cases (per capita) as 20 years ago.  Maybe, just maybe they are being diagnosed better (with MRI's and CT scans being so prevelant). 

I'd also say, the reaction of the schools in dealing with potential neck / spine injuries is much more of a cautious approach than it used to be.  I've never seen a guy able to move his arms and legs get taken away via helicopter prior to Saturday night. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

In order for Brouce to come back and play, he needs to first be 100% heathy, both physically and mentally.  He can not play with the worry in the back of his mind that he'll get hurt again.  No matter what decision he makes, everyone has to support his decision.  I wish him nothing but the best.  Of course, I would love to see him play for the Bulls, but nothing is more important than his health.

• Content Count:  2,118

it's not going to be the same without Brouce, but I just want to see hom healthy and not risk another injury.

• Content Count:  2,661

I'd like to see some hard statistics showing a trend of increasing spinal injuries before I'd jump to that conclusion.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10991975

The number of spinal injuries isn't going up -- if anything, it's coming down. But there's always a risk, as long as men continue to play the violent game of football.

Watch that Fox Sports Net show Sport Science sometime. You wouldn't believe how much force a body absorbs in what you would think of as an ordinary football hit. It's amazing that we see as few catastrophic injuries as we do.

• Content Count:  1,471

I think positions that tackle or get tackled should be required to wear the neck roll in college.

• Content Count:  1,757

I'd like to see some hard statistics showing a trend of increasing spinal injuries before I'd jump to that conclusion.

The number of spinal injuries isn't going up -- if anything, it's coming down. But there's always a risk, as long as men continue to play the violent game of football.

Watch that Fox Sports Net show Sport Science sometime. You wouldn't believe how much force a body absorbs in what you would think of as an ordinary football hit. It's amazing that we see as few catastrophic injuries as we do.

It's all about informed consent!

• Content Count:  622

Well, there was also what might be a career ending injury to a Ball State WR this past weekend also. This was a perfectly clean hit. Like you said, the force was the only thing that caused this injury, it's crazy. There is not really anything you can do about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnYxVl4UUK0

• Content Count:  2,661

Well, there was also what might be a career ending injury to a Ball State WR this past weekend also.

...and a Washington State quarterback.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815

Something has to be done about all these spinal injuries. We see them so much more frequently nowadays than what we used to.

The only thing you can do is train players to tackle correctly, and eject any player hitting a defenseless player.

I'm not going off statistics...just things I've seen...most of these types of injuries don't happen because incorrect tackles or dirty hits

Mompromier hit his own team mate...same thing that happened to the NY Jets Dennis Byrd...someone else mentioned the Ball State WR was a clean hit....also not football but something similar: Travis Roy a hockey player for BU went head first into the boards 11 seconds into his first shift after another player simply avoided a check and became quadriplegic

unfortunately injuries, even serious ones are a risk with any intense physical activity...especially so with sports like football. I'm thankful Brouce Mompromier is doing well and I think he knows that the USF family will support him no matter what decision he makes. 

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

The only thing you can do is train players to tackle correctly, and eject any player hitting a defenseless player.

I'm not going off statistics...just things I've seen...most of these types of injuries don't happen because incorrect tackles or dirty hits

Mompromier hit his own team mate...same thing that happened to the NY Jets Dennis Byrd...someone else mentioned the Ball State WR was a clean hit....also not football but something similar: Travis Roy a hockey player for BU went head first into the boards 11 seconds into his first shift after another player simply avoided a check and became quadriplegic

unfortunately injuries, even serious ones are a risk with any intense physical activity...especially so with sports like football. I'm thankful Brouce Mompromier is doing well and I think he knows that the USF family will support him no matter what decision he makes. 

Without a doubt all the hits were clean, it is just a freak accident. With contact sports at high speeds such as football these injuries will always occur, no way around it other than playing flag football. Players also know the risks they take going into the sport, all you can do is make better equipment, and strictly enforce rules.

Archived