• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mompremier: “I wouldn’t even know how to hit anybody right now�

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

i think that might have been the last game he ever plays....just glad he is healthy

http://sports.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/

Posted September 23, 2008 by Brett McMurphy

Updated Sep 23, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Three days after suffering a frightening neck injury at Florida International, University of South Florida LB Brouce Mompremier returned to practice Tuesday — but only as a spectator.

School officials have said Mompremier will miss at least two games. Realistically, he might have played his final game Saturday, coincidentally, in his home town of Miami.

“Let me put it this way: if they said I could play today, I wouldn’t even know how to hit anybody right now,†Mompremier told Tribune correspondent Gregg Becnel on Tuesday. “You see a lot of players get hurt like I did, and I don’t want to end up like that Ball State player.â€

That Ball State player, senior WR Dante Love, broke his spine and sustained a spinal cord injury Saturday against Indiana, a few hours after Mompremier’s injury. Love had five hours of surgery and can move his arms and legs, but BSU officials said Love will not play again.

Mompremier’s injury wasn’t as severe — his did not require surgery and doctors said he did not suffer any serious spinal injuries — but it was still terrifying. Mompremier was momentarily unconscious, and he initially couldn’t lift his legs.

When Mompremier came to Tuesday’s practice, it provided an emotional lift as his teammates surrounded him, jumping up and down yelling “Brouce! Brouce!â€

Not having Mompremier the rest of the season would be a tough loss, but he has learned there are bigger priorities.

“I was scared [when it happened],†Mompremier said. “I didn’t know what to think. It was all real scary.â€

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Brett… Someone needs to send Brouce a copy of Talladega Nights immediately.

Come on Brouce… You can do it buddy. If Ricky Bobby can overcome such a horrible accident, I know you have the mindset and faith to do the same. Hang in there! You’re in prayers.

Think Ricky Bobby. And if that doesn’t work, think about his hot wife… that should be motivation enough to play again.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

we really need brouce IMO... i hope he can come back as good as ever... but health first.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

Brouce is a great Bull.  i wish him the best.

but i know that after a scare like that, chances are he's not gonna want to take that risk again.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

It's not even about wanting to take the risk again.  First he'd have to be cleared by the doctors, which I don't think will happen anytime soon.  He can't go out there if he's not 100%.  His long term health is far more important than a football game.

• Content Count:  1,260

I think as fans we sometimes forget...it's just a game. Long after all of us forget the kid's name....these players and their families have to deal with the longterm effects of the game on their bodies. I'd love for Brouce to come back, but won't fault him if he chooses not to. After standing in that stadium Saturday, I'm just glad to read that he's up and about.

• Content Count:  1,757

Just glad to see he is ok, I'm sure he has a new perspective on his life now. Just funny how life is, imagine if Brouce knew, this game at FIU will be my last. Hope the best for him

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I'll be happy with what ever decision Brouce makes.  I'm glad he's alright.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Two thoughts:

1. Did USF say in their official release that Brouce was not to be interviewed?

2. He'll be back. CJL is doing a brilliant job with this one. It's possibly that doctors would clear him to play tomorrow (see Brad Lester), but CJL is not even letting him get checked out for 2 weeks. In that time, Brouce will be able to examine it, see his team play 2 games, going into a bye week, and he will be more prepared to make the decision.

There are definitely more important things in life than football, but what happened was a freak thing. We'll see how it goes, but I think it is great that CJL is taking it completely out of his hands for a couple of weeks so that he has time to think about what decision he wants to make when it is time for him to make one.

Very happy that he is doing well, it was quite a scare for the entire Bull family, and hopefully as a team, coaches, and fans, we never have to face anything as serious as this injury again on the football field. CJL and Coach Eriksen should get Brouce and Ecks together to talk about the decision. I think I remember reading that she is going to play again after her scare on the softball field last spring.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,681
  • Days Won:  108

I think as fans we sometimes forget...it's just a game. Long after all of us forget the kid's name....these players and their families have to deal with the longterm effects of the game on their bodies. I'd love for Brouce to come back, but won't fault him if he chooses not to. After standing in that stadium Saturday, I'm just glad to read that he's up and about.

Well said. 

Archived