• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another question for HOT

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

Mike G - Major letter writing campaing?  Hell with that, I've already called my congressman, state rep, and all applicable local figures.  My next step is to get on Bill O'Riley.  ;D

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  136

Guys, HOT did not do this on purpose.  I was sitting by the band and could barely hear what was being said during the ceremony. HOT waited for the ceremony to end and then started playing not aware of God Bless the USA.  Mrs. Gregory immediately ran over to the band and started waving her arms at them which they eventually picked up on.

Mrs. Gregory should be put on staff--- she helped out with Brouce Mompremier's family and apparently this band thing. What else was she doing-- selling cotton candy and popcorn? Sure glad she was there to help out in both circumstances.

and people-- can we think about this stuff and talk it over BEFORE we start some major letter writing campaign? It was a mistake but nothing worth going ape **** about

So this is why Grant is second string... because his mom is an All-Around MVP. She gives Donovan McNabb's mom a run for her money. Make me some soup woman!

• Content Count:  32

All,

This board's description of the events during the recognition ceremony are accurate.  There was an unfortunate combination of miscommunications that led to our drumline playing over "Proud to Be an American".  I'll spare you the details - but please be assured it was simply a mistake, and absolutely no disrespect was intended.  As soon as the HOT Staff realized what was happening, we corrected the situation.  I sent an apology email to the FIU Band and Athletics first thing on Monday morning.  An excerpt of my email is below:

There was one unfortunate incident which I would like to address.  During one of the timeouts – FIU was recognizing a former student who served our country overseas.  They played the song “Proud to Be an American†after reading a statement.  A miscommunication on our part led to our drumline starting to play a cadence during this song.  As soon as the USF Band staff realized what was happening, we stopped them.  While it only lasted for 15 seconds, I understand how this action could be interpreted as disrespectful.  I would like you to know that this incident was completely unintentional, and please forward my most sincere apologies to anyone who contacts you about this.

Please feel free to contact me directly via email at schnettler@arts.usf.edu for issues concerning the HOT Band instead of discussing them ad nauseam.  I will respond to all emails in a timely manner, and I would much rather answer your questions directly than to have it discussed on a message board where speculation can run amok.  Besides - I'm sure most of the Bullspen users would rather discuss sports than band!

I appreciate the support that the HOT Band and I have received from the fans, coaches, and athletes at USF.  We do our very best to create an exciting and energetic atmosphere at the games, to get the fans fired up, and to give our BULLS everything we can to help them WIN!

Thank you, and GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  1,066

All,

This board's description of the events during the recognition ceremony are accurate.  There was an unfortunate combination of miscommunications that led to our drumline playing over "Proud to Be an American".  I'll spare you the details - but please be assured it was simply a mistake, and absolutely no disrespect was intended.  As soon as the HOT Staff realized what was happening, we corrected the situation.  I sent an apology email to the FIU Band and Athletics first thing on Monday morning.  An excerpt of my email is below:

There was one unfortunate incident which I would like to address.  During one of the timeouts – FIU was recognizing a former student who served our country overseas.  They played the song “Proud to Be an American†after reading a statement.  A miscommunication on our part led to our drumline starting to play a cadence during this song.  As soon as the USF Band staff realized what was happening, we stopped them.  While it only lasted for 15 seconds, I understand how this action could be interpreted as disrespectful.  I would like you to know that this incident was completely unintentional, and please forward my most sincere apologies to anyone who contacts you about this.

Please feel free to contact me directly via email at schnettler@arts.usf.edu for issues concerning the HOT Band instead of discussing them ad nauseam.  I will respond to all emails in a timely manner, and I would much rather answer your questions directly than to have it discussed on a message board where speculation can run amok.  Besides - I'm sure most of the Bullspen users would rather discuss sports than band!

I appreciate the support that the HOT Band and I have received from the fans, coaches, and athletes at USF.  We do our very best to create an exciting and energetic atmosphere at the games, to get the fans fired up, and to give our BULLS everything we can to help them WIN!

:gobulls  Always a class act.  This is why Schnetty is our director.

• Content Count:  2,478

All,

Schnetty for the win!

Is there any reason why HOT played to the HOME field that night?  I know they came by at the start of the third... which I heard was cool (was at the concessions after staying in my seat for the halftime performance)...

Just curious... with seats in the South end zone, I have yet to hear the halftime performance...

Also, please tell whomever introduces the songs that Chuck Mangione's last name is not Man-Gee-Own, but is Man-Gee-Oh-Knee. (Makes us sound like we don't know who the guy is... and he's from my hometown....)

• Content Count:  136

Is there any reason why HOT played to the HOME field that night?  I know they came by at the start of the third... which I heard was cool (was at the concessions after staying in my seat for the halftime performance)...

Just curious... with seats in the South end zone, I have yet to hear the halftime performance...

Also, please tell whomever introduces the songs that Chuck Mangione's last name is not Man-Gee-Own, but is Man-Gee-Oh-Knee. (Makes us sound like we don't know who the guy is... and he's from my hometown....)

We play home at ALL (Most?) away games...

• Content Count:  2,511

At FIU there was a recognition at the beginning of the game followed by the playing of "Proud to be an American".

Why did HOT interrupt with their own music?

It offended me.

Other than that, keep up the good work.

I was not offended.

Not because I am not "Proud to be an American".

I just hate country music that much, especially a lousy song from the 80's that was recycled to capitalize on the WTC attacks.

Seriously, the PA system was so spotty at FIU's stadium, that people sitting in dead spots would not have heard the song anyway.  The speakers at the stadium are positioned to distribute sound throughout the bowl of the stadium, BUT, low and behold, the visitor General Admission section is set far back from the seat lines where that missing section should go.  If you noticed, the field was surrounded by a paved track, and the new sections sat right on top of the edge of the field.  The visitors section was set way back off that line.  The sound was not traveling out to those bleachers, so unless you were concentrating on the PA system, you would not hear it and it was washed out in background noise.

• Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

Jim,  Unfortunately wind instruments (trombones, tuba etc...) are very directional instruments.  Unless they are pointing in your general direction, you wont be able to hear them.  They sound great when they are playing songs from the "Drumline" movie.

Archived